The Stourvale Line

gasmangt3

I have wanted a model railway for as long as I can remember but never had the space. I had thought about doing a railway on the garden in O gauge but not had the garden to do it in, then when I moved to Kidderminster several years ago I came across the idea of doing OO in the garden which I hadn't considered, always thinking OO was indoor only. For the first 5 years we didn't do much in the garden, then in 2009 I set to work building decking and generally tidying things up and we did discuss a model railway in the garden which my partner Gina seemed quite receptive too, to the extent that for my birthday that year she bought me a Flying Scotsman Hornby Live Steam set. Over the next year I planned and constructed a double loop around the garden, with the inner loop being wired for live steam. Below are some pictures of the planning and start of the project.

DSC_0008.jpg

planning stage

SNV32114.jpg

SNV32130.jpg

SNV32137.jpg

More to com soon

Welcome to the forum Gasmangt3. I'm looking forward to seeing more of this and I'm certain that one of our other members, Craig, will be interested in hearing about your Live Steam experiences. I assume that the layout is now much more advanced than how it is depicted in the above photos but I'm pleased to see that you had your priorities in order and got the obligatory windmill at the outset!

I was going to ask about your choice of materials for the track base (looks like you're using some kind of sheet material in places) but I expect that you'll be dealing with that in a subsequent post. I'll wait patiently.

Mick

Hey Gasmangt3

Welcome to the forum.

Im Craig, and like you, a Live Steamer.

My advice to you would be pretty straight forward

Make sure you run a Power Bus that feed EVERY bit of track, and bond all your points too if your running off to a passing loop etc.

Live steam in the garden requires a fair amount of diligence, as having the regulator open a tad too much can see your Loco flying off.

Also, you'll need to service your loco more than usual, in terms of keeping it clean inside, as the smallest bit of garden dirt getting into the mechanics will render your loco inoperable.

Are you raising your track, or is that the level you will be building at? Hope your ready to spend a lot of time on your knees ;)

Looks like a great start!

I have a few Live Steam videos up on Vimeo

http://vimeo.com/album/2161137" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You cant miss the live steam ones... Wont be long before your cuffing about in the back garden ;)

...Are you raising your track, or is that the level you will be building at? Hope your ready to spend a lot of time on your knees ;)

Looks like a great start!...

Craig, from the initial post it sounds like 'The Stourvale Line' is somewhat more advanced than those first photos depict. We'll have to wait and see what the present situation is.