HELP!! Lima diesel mechanisms

ba14eagle

:oops:

Just finished a nice repaint and weathering job on a Lima 31 for a friend of mine, but now have a problem with the mechanics.

Motor runs fine when power is applied to the trailing "pick-up" bogie, but put the loco on the track and it seems to short itself out :?:?:x I guess its the motored bogie ;)

Anyone able to help?

It will probably be the trailing bogie axles being replaced the wrong way round.

My Limas have only one wheel isolated with the other wheel and axle being one electrically continuous unit. One wiper contacts the isolated wheel, the other contacts the wheel and axle. So, if you have the trailing bogie axles in the wrong way around it will work until the motor bogie is placed on the track, when the continuity between the axles will short it out.

Not very well explained :D , but "I" know what I mean :lol::lol:

Really struggling with this chaps :oops:

Ive attached 2 pictures if thats any help to someone who can explain it to me.

The bogie picks up in 2 ways - the outer 2 axles pick up via the strip that is inside the bogie. The inner 2 axles also have a pickup on the wheel backs (top side in photo). Each has a separate wire to 2 different terminals on the motor. I would have thought that the inner 2 axles should have the insulated wheel on this topside, but the outer axle the other way around. That dont work & neither does having all the insulated wheelsets on the topside :evil: Oh yes, ive noticed that the innermost axle is actually in the wrong position - dont worry - I didnt assemble it like that :lol:

DSCF2916.JPG

DSCF2918.JPG

Shame that you haven't got another Lima model to compare it with. Looks likes something similair to what someone had done to one of my Lima's, put in extra earth feeds but they didn't work. Using another Lima that I already had, just copied the original wire feeds and it then worked a treat after getting the unpowered bogie wheels the correct way round.

Ian

It looks like the front bogie picks up from the axles on the left rail and the rear bogie picks up from the axles on the right rail - this is most unusual.

Are both centre studs, picking up from the axle shafts, connected electrically? If not, the insulated wheels of bogie 1 all need to be on the same side, and the insulated wheels of bogie 2 need to be on the opposite side.

If the centre studs are NOT connected electrically then the insulated wheels of BOTH bogies need to be on the same side.

Hope this helps - if not I will try to do a schematic drawing to explain it.

:oops::oops: Schoolboy error realised :oops::oops:

I knew I had the wheels in the trailing bogie correctly (discussed at great length with an electrical expert at work).

I was snooping around the motor bogie and it struck me that it wasnt turning much :? - I noticed the gears were fouling a piece of moulding on the chassis. Looking at the other side of the chassis, I noted that there was more of it cut away - :idea: could this be to accommodate the gears, if i turned the bogie around :?: Sure enough - I had replaced the bogie frames on the motor and wheels, the wrong way around :oops::roll: 2 minutes later, the bogie frames re-attached the opposite way around and hey presto, the loco runs like a dream again :!:

Thank you everyone for your assistance, but you couldnt have guessed what a wally I had been :lol::lol: