WagonCam tour

doublecee

I don't want to appear to be anti social ( but know doubt that's how it will read) but I'm still extremely wary of giving my private address details to anyone on forums. It's a great idea but not for me at this stage.

I don't trust the servers security. So I'm always very wary of the personal info that I give out as I don't know what happens to that info in the server. Maybe I'm paranoid and maybe I'm not.

Roy.

Realise where you are comming from on that score Roy, but believe it or not, sometime ago I got a letter from an ex girlfriend of mine, whom I have had no contact with for over 15 years to let me know that our dog Heide had passed away peacefully.

I am sure that if you were to put up a challenge someone on here could find your address just through information that is available in and on cyber space for all to see.

Somewhere on the internet I actually found my military number published for all and sundry.

Just to prove it and as I know that is on the internet somewhere.

Find my number rank and name and period served in the military. Infact find out all you can about my time with the military.

I wait to see what can be found and how quickly about me for starters.

Ian

I understand and respect any members concerns regarding personal information they consider as being sensitive and that they wish to protect. I wouldn't advise using the PM messaging system for sensitive information as those messages are stored on the server until they are deleted from 'both' user's accounts. I would imagine it to be 'safer' to use the e-mail facility to correspond with another member if any sensitive information is to be passed between users but I doubt that any method could ever be deemed to be 100% safe. If people are determined and intelligent enough to hack into large corporation networks then I'm sure the OO gauge Garden Railway wouldn't pose too much of a problem.

As to Grockle's points it's true, if you want to know anything these days then all you have to do is Google it. You'd be surprised to learn just what information is freely available about you on the Internet and anyone with the patience and determination can locate it without too much trouble.

The only personal information stored on the server about members of this forum are those each member provided at the time of registration which are necessary for the forum to operate (name, password and e-mail address) along with any additional information each member publishes themselves within their individual posts or messages. Do be careful if it is information you don't want others to have access to.

Not going to take up my challenge then Mick, find out as much info as you can about me, you can post it on here as all the info you'll find is freely available, and I ain't got nothing to hide YET.

Ian

just wondering what can be found that I have missed out there in cyber space :D

I just googled my name and it came up on facebook but it wasn't me as I'm not on facebook or twitter. Here's a tip if you have a sat nav: don't put your home address into it because if your vehicle is stolen the thieves can plug in your sat nav and then do your house over. With mine it demanded the address before going to the next set up step so it has the address of the local police station. There was one bloke who I think was a journalist who said that we are an open book these days, but your only an open book if you wish to be. My employer doesn't even know my home phone number and it's not a land line number either because as a team leader even on holidays I'd get no peace.

Roy.

They have these things called phone books. I can probably figure out where any of you are with online phone books. Having said that, I always exchange address info via PM's and email.

Well I have a land line but it only connects to my modem as I have a mobile as a home phone as many Australians do have these days as land line phones are getting expensive with the land line rentals just for the line around $40 a month. I've had a mobile as a home phone for the last 12 years.

Roy.

ok, so interesting development these last few days.

Nick Cole at Hornby has asked me to pop over to Margate on Tuesday to discuss WagonCam.

Thats all I know at this point, but an email I sent a few months back has obviously piqued some interest!

So, this may delay WagonCams little jaunt to members houses... but Im curious to see what they have to say.

Unfortunatly, you cant patent Wagon Cam because it is the amalgamation of two existing technologies... Model Railway and the Mini HD camera. Already had my advisor on the case (who is well versed in toy patents, and is already working with me on my film project).

But Ill go along and see what they have to say

• 1 month later...

Yes, that and im already on a new version... something more suited to being sent out to people. Less chance of lens damage etc. But dont want to send anything out until I have had a chance to run it a few times myself, which... as I am sure you can appreciate, is very weather dependent

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...