'The Oakdale Valley' Garden Railway:

sykarost

Great to see something finally running Brian after all the work you've put in and delighted to have been able to share its ongoing construction with you even if that's only been via your forum posts. How did it compare to running indoors?

It's sometimes easy to overlook just how much work is involved in simply getting trains running outdoors - let alone working on any scenics. The Selby layout I had running in just a few months - Worsley Dale is nowhere near completion and I'm almost 12 months into the build.

Hoping you have better luck with the weather over the next few days than we have forecast for up here.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Many thanks Mick, although a fairly simple design it has been quite hard work at times & it is very rewarding to have got to this stage far sooner than I anticipated.

In all honesty, it would have got done eventually but this Forum has no doubt added to the impetus & kept me suitably motivated & I have (& will continue to) enjoyed the camaraderie & support I have received over these past six months.

It's too soon to compare the indoor/outdoor running because I'm still aligning & securing the track following what was very much a 'trial run' but the two are vastly different. the indoor one is 'fussy' & time consuming to operate whereas this one is more about watching trains go by in a more 'hands off' manner I hope. I can see already that things won't stop at merely running trains though..... I have unwittingly built what could be a 'Harbor' (The lawn is the open sea!!) and can already see a 'Fishing Village' with a station ....etc etc.

We are expecting more dull damp days with low temps & even a hint of snow over the next week. I'm happy now if I can just spend an hour here & there making at least some progress & fortunately our garden drains & dries out well so the grass is quite unscathed, the downside is that we are East to West & the railway will see little sun & is not well lit. I suppose it will be an advantage if we have a decent summer to not be directly exposed to the sun & it's bleaching effects.

Anyway, I'm counting the remaining work in hours rather than weeks or months which is immensely satisfying, I can then sit back & watch Worsley Dale taking shape!!

Always a huge feeling of achievement Brain to get something finally running. I know the moment I started laying track I wanted to get something moving! It all looks great, can't wait to see the progress. The more sidings the better I think, if you have room. I want to get some laid this year, will save taking things off the track each time you want to change what is running.

Always a huge feeling of achievement Brain to get something finally running. I know the moment I started laying track I wanted to get something moving! It all looks great, can't wait to see the progress. The more sidings the better I think, if you have room. I want to get some laid this year, will save taking things off the track each time you want to change what is running.

Thanks Andy, yes it really is nice to be where I'm at now even though we are back to rain & things are back on hold.

As for the sidings, I need a re-think on my original idea, the passing/storage loop is installed but I have very few options & no decent length available for proper storage. I will have to resist the urge to try & put ALL my stock on at any given time & probably settle for two trains with Loco changes in these early days. I can imagine 'extension boards' will be the next step & further 'planning permission' from SWMBO ;) Anyway, thanks for the interest Ian...... The only way is UP!! :)

...Anyway, I'm counting the remaining work in hours rather than weeks or months which is immensely satisfying, I can then sit back & watch Worsley Dale taking shape!!

I'll do my best to keep you entertained with Worsley Dale Brian but it's going to have to be done at the same time as a number of other outdoor projects that would have been done last year had it not been for the dreadful weather. In the meantime I'll be gaining inspiration and motivation from the Oakdale Valley Garden Railway and others on the forum.

One of the things I'll be trying to do with Worsley Dale is ensure that I have sufficient room to accommodate a variety of rakes on track at one time. There was just too much swapping around on my old layout although I had made a start to remedy that just before we moved home. Loops, dead end roads, anything you can include will all increase your operational enjoyment. Consider the storage cassette system if you need to just to make things easier to get stock on and off track quickly.

Thanks Mick, I think everyone is now keen to get things moving again, there were times when I thought I was the only one still working during the winter & I may be right!

There are always plenty of other pressures on our time & efforts & these jobs have to be done, I was recently in the doghouse for ignoring a dripping tap because fixing that was less interesting than 'messing about with the railway' (so I'm told!).

I guess your shed will accomodate a few 'stock roads' Mick, I will have a couple in my more modest size shed but as my layout is essentially a single line with the 'illusion' of double track main line, only one train will be running at any time & I can hold a second in the loop. I only want (& can accommodate) a couple of short dead end roads more for scenic interest to 'park' a few wagons etc (for the pick up goods). I doubt I will go down the cassette route but I do find these plastic 're-railer's a fiver well spent compared to manually setting each vehicle on the track...... just 'pour' em on!!

I will have a couple in my more modest size shed but as my layout is essentially a single line with the 'illusion' of double track main line, only one train will be running at any time & I can hold a second in the loop.

Well you could go DCC. A circuit the length of yours could manage 3 trains chasing each other, without them looking like they are chasing each other.

I totally agree about the Peco re-railer, a boon for those with shaky hands, long sight or a bad back :D

For some reason, although I have no problem paying what might be considered a fortune for a loco or other item of rolling stock, I always find that it takes me forever to order the more useful and significantly less expensive items. I'm still struggling along placing stock on track by 'feel' - I really must get a re-railer!

Mick, now you have your bridges (and very nice too) you best start saving for that re-railer, they really do make life easier. The only problem I have is that it's never where it's needed so three choices.... 1) Go fetch it, 2) Revert to the hand method, 3) Carry it in your pocket!! I've bought two so have one in the garage & one in the shed.

Chris, a nice thought but I doubt I will take the DCC route but I can certainly visualise 'one up, one down & one on the top curve'!!

Griff, thanks for uploading the pictures to 'Layout Photo's'...... makes me feel I've arrived at the 'inner sanctum'!!

Well, it seems the weather has bought us all to a standstill yet again, it cannot last forever..... can it? Have you noticed that the term 'Global Warming' appears to have been quietly airbrushed from our vocabulary & replaced with 'Climate Change'? Is that weather speak for 'Ice Age' I wonder.

I totally agree about the Peco re-railer' date=' a boon for those with shaky hands, long sight or a bad back :D[/quote']

For some reason, although I have no problem paying what might be considered a fortune for a loco or other item of rolling stock, I always find that it takes me forever to order the more useful and significantly less expensive items. I'm still struggling along placing stock on track by 'feel' - I really must get a re-railer!

Ha ha I'm the same way when it comes to buying much needed items.

I think my roco set may have come with a train ramp, although after years of being an N scaler, putting HO stock on track is a cinch.

Griff, thanks for uploading the pictures to 'Layout Photo's'...... makes me feel I've arrived at the 'inner sanctum'!!

Well, it seems the weather has bought us all to a standstill yet again, it cannot last forever..... can it? Have you noticed that the term 'Global Warming' appears to have been quietly airbrushed from our vocabulary & replaced with 'Climate Change'? Is that weather speak for 'Ice Age' I wonder.

I have pictures posted of planks on that discussion. No need to be perfect to be in that gallery, you just have to have started something. :)

As to weather, we're due 70 degrees friday, but it snowed again last night for another 3 inches or so. Much of the snow from the last storm hadn't fully melted yet, but the streets are clear.

Well, As today was the only one expected to be dry & mild for sometime, I decided that further progress was essential & an opportunity not to be missed.

Further trackwork re-modelling especially on my 'canted curve' was first priority as some of my loco's are having problems here. This is not so much about the 'cant' itself which is doing what I expected but more about the rather tight 24" radius which I will have to live with for the foreseeable future as I cannot expand this area without major earthworks.

The rest of the track was pinned down but my original plan for sidings has had to go on hold as the locations did not take kindly to having points/joints so I have 'utilised' them in the form of a 'run through' siding at the splitting point where the double track becomes single (just to use the points basically).

I will not explain any further but I did take some video of the result on my digi-camera (not best quality) & have uploaded it to YouTube but only for you chaps with this link

">

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think you will enjoy it as it finally puts my efforts into perspective & even surprises ME when I realise what I've managed to do throughout Autumn & Winter.

It certainly is nice to know the hardest work is done & I can now concentrate on the finishing touches & landscaping including a couple of 'portable' platforms... etc!! ;)

Well, rain for the weekend & back to the freeze next week (so they say)...... must fix that dripping tap I suppose :roll: .

....but I did take some video of the result on my digi-camera (not best quality) & have uploaded it to YouTube but only for you chaps with this link

">

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yeah, like Griff says - we can't watch it and I thought we were your buddies!!! :)

I think you need to set the video to 'unlisted' and then provide us with the link if you don't want people outside the forum seeing it.

Good to hear you've got some more done by the way - just wish I could see what it was.... :(