Christmas's past

doublecee

No avoiding it, the countdown has begun...

But looking back, I think its probably the one singular point in our lives that we can all say that Trains came smashing into our consciousness.

For me, its xmas 1973, and the arrival of a Local Goods set and a BR carriage

xmas_73.jpg

xmas73_2.jpg

Great times. Sadly the set was lost along the way... but I still remember the sight, sounds and weirdly, the smells associated with that set. It wasnt for another 5 years until I received other sets. A GWR small goods set and a HST 125.

With only a couple of months to go before the big day, I wonder how many of us are readying ourselves, as well as dropping subtle hints, filling up amazon wish lists and daydreaming about simpler, happier times that we somehow always connect to via Xmas and model trains.

I remember last years highlights were the Tornado set and then hitting F5 refresh at Midnight hoping to see the new Hornby releases...

Hot wheels :x Matchbox superfast track - great toy and still available on ebay, at the expected ridiculous prices :lol: Also, Matchbox Powertrack - Race and Chase - another great one, but not encouraged by Dad - it might divert my attention from trains - which he liked to play with too :lol:

This looks my first train set :

http://www.hornbyguide.com/item_details.asp?itemid=386

but with the little black 0-4-0 from the 1973 sets. 5th birthday present, 1976. It soon developed from the circuit on the dining room table, to a possibly 5 x 4 layout from the Hornby trackplan book, in my bedroom. That christmas the set was added too - a second hand Hornby class 31 (green) and a track cleaning wagon. There was probably more, but I dont remember. Happy days.

Christmas 1973, now where was I at that time, oh yes serving in the Armed Forces in Germany on bloody guard duty Christmas day 1973 and also in 1976 as well. Single guys always did guard duties to let the married guy's have some time with their families over the Christmas period.

Like others my first train set has long gone, but with the stock that I have available I might be able to rustle up a duplicate copy of it. Black Jinty with three coal trucks and a guards van, circa 1959 aged 5. All Tri-ang of course with series 3 track

Ian