Amblethorpe

chris

When I packed up on sunday I had basically constructed my lift out baseboard. This morning I added a couple of finishing touches. This evening I've stuck the roofing felt on it.

182ff0572241901fa4d4d610fd9843b7.jpg

This is this gap which it will span.

baseboard.jpg

and this is it sat on a workbench below its future resting place.

703f998b7b303c1e2acc3f46c2d079c8.jpg

This weekend I hope to complete the job by sorting out how it will be supported and aligned.

If the weather holds I may be able to lay some track.

Thanks guys. It's amazing what I can achieve, if I spend a very long time on it.

I'm updating from the shed. I'm looking out on my Double Loop railway as the rail falls. I had four trains looping when the first spots fell, but operation "park up" had been planned and I implemented it almost perfectly and all four were in shed before the shower kicked in.

The lift out section went in without incident thus morning. After lunch I cracked on with track laying. But even though it was warm and sunny, there was a brisk wind which made soldering a real chore. Five lengths of double track went down.

It was then time to play trains. I put together track over the lift out and for the first time set two trains looping round in opposite directions.

After 4 years of construction that was a satisfying moment.

I did take a short video. And if it doesn't stop raining soon I may be editing it on my iPhone and uploading direct.

I take photos when the shower has past.

My first run with two trains on my double track loop.

Sorry for the lack of camera angles etc, I just wanted to record the event.

and a picture of the baseboard before I slew track across it.

20a295c09b17537d200938e037c6c41e.jpg

The video was taken from the approximate position of the mug.

chris said:

.....The video was taken from the approximate position of the mug.

Now should I or shouldn't I....... :lol:

Excellent work Chris. You certainly don't hang about once you start something. Great to see the video too.

Yesterday was ideal weather for garden railway construction, overcast so no need for sunscreen. Fiddled around in the shed this morning and then got on with track laying over the lift out section.

Track and electrics completed on the run up from the viaduct and on the lift out.

The next job is to get the points installed with motors.

I've installed three of the four points required to make my mainline junction and for once it's the easy one I'm left with.

I've modified my under baseboard point operation to work with the car central locking motors and it appears to working well.

I'll add photos and and an explanation to the points thread sometime soon.

Steady on Chris, your rate of progress is making me look very sluggish.

I'll be interested to see what you've done with the points. I have two to motorise when I get round to it but mine will have to be alongside the track. I have some central locking motors as well as some standard SEEP solenoid motors so have to decide which is best for the situation.

Good to see so many people making progress.

Nearly finished the track laying on Saturday evening, but I decided not to rush it. We've been away in Birmingham for three days but I've got straight back out there this evening and finished the track laying and bonding to complete the loop.

Allowed a couple of units to stretch their legs. With all the track pinned in place I could take the speed up to 127 and enjoy an express flashing through the station.

We visited the only model shop in central Birmingham, upstairs at Ian Allen Bookshop. No rolling stock of interest but we did pick up a few buildings.

• 2 weeks later...

Not got much done this week. I've been enjoying my other hobby too much. Got in a few bike rides and have had two days following the amazing Tour de France in Yorkshire.

We've now jumped on a 225 and we're in London. Going to try and get a spot on The Mall to watch the finish of stage 3.

I've taken delivery of a couple of accessory decodes so will be able to motorise all my remaining points when I get back later in the week. However we should be making our annual trip to Hartlepool on Sunday for Hornby Magazine Live.

I did notice that way if adding pics, but couldn't work out how to write easy to follow instructions.

As I say when I train people in computer software "there's always half a dozen ways to do something, and there's never a 'right way'."

Hi Chris, yeah my layout building is at a stand still, been too cold over here in QLD Australia zero degrees this morning, don't like the winter, spring is the best season.

I did set up three modules on Sunday to see how my Indian Pacific train will fit leaving the platform , pretty long with 16 passenger cars one auto carrier and two locos, got the pics in my gallery and post.

Thought tour De France was only in France, my other hobby is woodturning.

With posting pics , what ever you feel the easiest way to post them.

How was the trip to Hartlepool and seeing the Hornby magazine live, that would of been interesting, we don't have that sort of thing over here., only train shows.

We decided not to attend Hartlepool Show. I've not had enough time for my railway recently and a show would have eaten up more time.  

Disappointingly the overnight rain reprised itself this morning. 

The job of the day was to install CDL motors. For the first time I had a problem with setting one up. I'd modify my system slightly. I reverted and everything worked fine.

I got three in and DCCed, joining the three I'd done last month.  The mainline junction and Colwick station throat points are now motorised. That leaves me the platform points to lay and add motors.

Not had chance to run anything because it's threatening rain again.

• 3 months later...

I've fallen out of the railway habit of late - I've been catching too many trains.

I finished the loop and that just encouraged me to play trains rather than model. Not a bad thing.

I need to write a to do list so there is always something to get on with when I'm in the mood.

There are picks of the tracks over the lift out section in http://oogardenrailway.co.uk/app.php/gallery/album/28' rel="external nofollow">my gallery

9570b1f2949d774b36b7e87e9217a858.jpg

And all the loose track in this photo has been laid ready for platform construction since August.

b7e983354b94462bde660fd608eed55f.jpg

And here's a train passing over the new formation

88c79f053aa03fadcfca2698ab630b2e.jpg

I'm assuming these photos look OK. I've got a swanky new iMac with retina display and all the photos on this site now look out of focus!