Amblethorpe

chris

mick said:

It appears that the security of your account may have been compromised. Looks like someone using your username has posted a photo in the gallery section. I will of course put a stop to it immediately! The cheeky beggars eh?

Mick, you're right! Does Chris realize this guy is shaming him with all this progress and a bridge even? Gotta lock this down fast. :lol:

Had a free afternoon and this is what I did with it.

14137f3f25c058f1eaade77172ecda81.jpg

I've described some of the process in the roofing felt thread

It's the best bit of baseboard I've done so far, but no tracks will go on it. It's the base for the embankment.

Just in from the garden having spent most of the day on construction. Weather wasn't up to much, but that kept my focus on making the canopy area water tight, well sort of, it's totally open at the front. With that done I then got some felt stuck down on the wide bit of the baseboard where it adjoins the shed.

• 2 weeks later...

The days are getting shorter round these parts so didn't make much progress last Sunday. I have built the embankment slopes out of 6m ply and painted them for protection. I also liad a bit more felt under the canopy. That leaves me with the tricky job of laying felt over the embankment and it's slopes.

The forecast for tomorrow is good, so if I can drag myself out of bed in the morning I may even have enough time to lay some track :!:

I've been busy, there are photo's ion the gallery, but I'll pop some on this thread as well. I decided to build a ply embankment and then wrap it in roofing felt.

7847085a1b0477e99df682fa205b74ee.jpg

c416b3a6039370c79e3b1ff47f15bdab.jpg

After doing I tidy job with those two strips I ended up covering nearly all of it with the top piece.

33ced68e352a8ef0a22b97181036b1b0.jpg

I fixed the baseboard in position and then wasted no time at all getting some track down and running a train out.

c2770665075deba39f7ffca62c5f6390.jpg

After a short running session, mainly limited to running trains into the shed and out the other side. The light was fading fast so I parked up the 153 for a final picture or two

cf4d5df764affd5f0c39bd8d179b99b3.jpg

Jaybee said:

Love the pics. In the last photo, is that the start of a viaduct?

No, I'll be building a similar embankment on the other side of the bridge. I thought about having a three arch bridge with a river flowing through it, but decided on the one arch with it being an access road to a campsite.

IanR said:

I'm liking it Chris! It's going to look great. Are you going to use pan scrubs on the embankment?

Ian.

Yes that's the plan. Break it up a bit. I'm going to use them to mask the join between the embankment and the bridge.

You guys with "Garden Railways" are making me envious. I love my "Outdoor Railway", but it's four foot above the garden so the trains aren't mixing it up with the plants. I've got no plans for lowering my baseboards, my garden is too small for that.

Above quote from Willos thread.

Stick with the pan scrubs Chris, they are far easier to look after!

And just think of all these guys with bad backs and sore knees with their ground level layouts :D

IanR said:

Stick with the pan scrubs Chris, they are far easier to look after!

And just think of all these guys with bad backs and sore knees with their ground level layouts :D

You guys with "Garden Railways" are making me envious. I love my "Outdoor Railway", but it's four foot above the garden so the trains aren't mixing it up with the plants. I've got no plans for lowering my baseboards, my garden is too small for that.

Yeah, the young guys start with good backs and good knees, then they say to themselves, "I'm going to have a ground level railway." he he he ;)

No worries Ian. I only said I was envious, I ain't changing.

I think I've got more done in October than any other month this year. I've managed to get out in the garden for an hour or so on Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday. This has allowed me to do some of the prep work which would have probably taken up half of Sunday. I've done some work on the baseboard that will be positioned on the other side of the bridge. It's been cut to length and shaped to form the top of the embankment. I broke my jigsaw when I started the first cut at 45º. I had to make the whole cut with a handsaw but I was pleased that I maintained the angle all the way along. A quick coat of paint was added to seal it up.

My motivation is to keep on schedule with phase 3 of Amblethorpe being completed in 2011 and that could happen if i make good progress on Sunday. The clocks go back tomorrow so that will curtail the late afternoon sessions I've managed this week so I really will have to focus on the job in hand.