Amblethorpe

chris

I understand entirely regarding the Limas. I have quite a bit of lima stock and two locos. I only have the locos because they are contemporary in manufacturing to the stock. But they are truly toys, mine being from the 1970's. I enjoy having toy trains on my railway, it's my way of finally having the layout I would have had when I was a boy. Are yours newer models?

My guess is they are 10 to 15 years old, but no older than that as the Class 66 first hit the rails in 1998.

They are more than toys and perfectly acceptable for a garden railway where fine detail is not as important as on an indoor layout. They do look the part pulling my rake of autobalaster wagons. The problem with adding lights is that they will have to be placed where the body work overlaps the chassis making it all a bit tricky to get everything aligned.

I've noticed a few areas where the paint job doesn't match the prototype so I'm going to have a go at touching it up. If that improves the look I'll see what LEDs I've got in the spares box and consider putting some lights in.

I've done a couple of lighting conversion jobs on DMUs, but I've slavishly copied Martin Clayton's work which can be found here

http://s374444733.websitehome.co.uk/railindex/trainsindex.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In the last couple of years he has gone down the route of DCC sound and his improvemnts have got very complicated. His early work, mainly on Northern Rail units, is a good place to start. My first job was to add lights to a 156. I followed this.

http://s374444733.websitehome.co.uk/class-156/index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Martin has started to add stay alive capacitors, so I may drop him an e-mail and ask for some tips. The chips I put in my 66's have stay alive wires and theres plenty of room inside the Lima body.

Had an unsuccessful attempt at a stay alive in one of the 66s.

Bit of progress on the viaduct. But the sunshine forecast turned out to be heavy rain and then some wet snow. Motivation was lacking.

It was BBQ weather this time last year.

chris said:

...It was BBQ weather this time last year.

Not far off Chris. Daytime temperatures this time last year were hovering around the 12-15 degrees centigrade mark but by the 27th had gone above 20 degrees! There's no sign of a repeat of that this time round or indeed of any improvement in what we've currently got.

Managed another hour on the viaduct yesterday.

I'm building it in to halves. I have two baseboards which will eventually be joined together with a small river section. Both of the boards have been cut to length and coverend in roofing felt. One board now has an embankment with slope attached to it (sundays work) and one half of the viaduct (yesterday).

My next job is to make the embankment and slope for the other end, I'm using 6mm ply. This slope will be at a more gentle angel about 30º rather than 45º to make it asymmetric and hopefully more realistic.

The river bed is being made from plastic. I was looking for something thick, like the chopping boards IanR has used, but in the end I've sliced up the lid of an old recycling box. It will link the two baseboards, but won't be load bearing so should be fine.

Should be able to crack on with it on Sunday.

Yep, cracked on with it today.

Too cold for garden or shed, but was fine in the conservatory. The second embankment and slope have been fabricated and the wood work is all in place.

Painting will come next and then a top coat of roofing felt.

Not sure when. We are off on holiday next Sunday and won't return until a week Monday.

Stunning viaduct Chris - absolutely top notch photos you've just added to your gallery. You should add some in here to illustrate your previous posts. If only we could get hold of something as detailed as that but as resilient as the stone ones....

I'll ad photos to this topic, I ran out of time when posting them.

I'm not so bothered about the realism, it's a garden railway and I have to avoid the temptation to try an make it like a show layout. It was an internal battle to stop myself being more creative with the slopes at each end, but had to stick to a stright line slope so the roofing felt will go on easily. If I hadn't already built my viaduct I would be copying yours.

• 2 weeks later...

We've been on holiday for a week in Sheringham. 5 hour trains journeys at either end to get there and a couple of days on the North Norfolk Railway. Lots of inspiration.

I did buy a few models, but not trains. While in a toy shop I came across Siku, a German manufacturer, who work in several scales including 1:87. Their range of farm tractors etc is very extensive and because modern tractors are so large they look fine in the slightly smaller scale. I picked out a couple of models which were at the toy (£2.99) end of the range to go in Sarah's farm yard scene. For a couple of quid more the quality appeared impressive with full glazing and details. Most of their range is modern, but an internet search did show that they have a classic range as well.

Just noticed that Model Zone have dropped the price of the Bachmann Windhoff MPV (Multi-Purpose Vehicle) to £68. I've fancied one of these since their release, but held off for over a year waiting to see if a retailer had some to shift. I didn't buy myself anything at York Show (just a Faller Caravan set for Sarah) so I think I have money in the budget for the MPV.

Bet it was a bit 'nippy' there Chris. I guess the only fast bit was to Peterborough?? & then traveling the bits of Norfolk that Beeching forgot to close!!

I think my inspiration came from the Great Central, mostly double track with single at the end but I don't have to run round the stock, it just comes back to me.

Must take a look at that Faller Caravan, been preparing ours today for a holiday next week, I really need a break from this garden railway malarky, feel like I've

been working on it all winter..... Oh yes, I have :-)

Glad to hear you found some inspiration on one of my local railways Chris. I swapped Norfolk for North Yorkshire last week and had a day on the North York Moors Railway. I don't get to Sheringham that often, what toy shop did you look around? I usually head to Kings Lynn for my 'local'.

And on the subject of Mr Beeching.. Grrr! Having Swaffham station still there would make things a lot easier! 15 miles to Downham Market for me, mind you some may say I am mad to be commuting to London :)

I was at the Mid Norfolk Railway spring diesel gala yesterday. My 2 year old has developed a passion for diesels, no complaints from me, means I have an excuse to attend most things now :D

Just about to upload some pics of a new addition to my fleet, I'll leave that to my thread!

sykarost said:

Bet it was a bit 'nippy' there Chris. I guess the only fast bit was to Peterborough?? & then traveling the bits of Norfolk that Beeching forgot to close!! I think my inspiration came from the Great Central, mostly double track with single at the end but I don't have to run round the stock, it just comes back to me.

Must take a look at that Faller Caravan, been preparing ours today for a holiday next week, I really need a break from this garden railway malarky, feel like I've been working on it all winter..... Oh yes, I have :-)

Bachmann have just released a static caravan. It looks good, but it's over £20, which seems a bit pricy. Faller set was £25 for 4 caravans with awnings. It's an "Airfix" style kit, but some bits are pre-painted and I think they will look fine once assembled.

Beeching didn't forget Sheringham. There is a closure notice for the Cromer branch on display in the NNR museum. It was one of the few lines that got away, and no one is sure why it survived . Glad it did, and I'm not the only one, there were plenty on our train this morning, well loaded by Cromer and about 60% of seats on the 2 coach DMU taken on arrival at Cromer.

And yes it was a bit nippy, but we had clear skies all week, so if you could get out of the wind it was rather nice.

AndyR said:

Glad to hear you found some inspiration on one of my local railways Chris. I swapped Norfolk for North Yorkshire last week and had a day on the North York Moors Railway. I don't get to Sheringham that often, what toy shop did you look around? I usually head to Kings Lynn for my 'local'.

And on the subject of Mr Beeching.. Grrr! Having Swaffham station still there would make things a lot easier! 15 miles to Downham Market for me, mind you some may say I am mad to be commuting to London :)

I was at the Mid Norfolk Railway spring diesel gala yesterday. My 2 year old has developed a passion for diesels, no complaints from me, means I have an excuse to attend most things now :D

Just about to upload some pics of a new addition to my fleet, I'll leave that to my thread!

Was temped by the diesel gala, but decided we'd have Sunday lunch on the North Norfolkman Dinning train. It was a wise choice.

Toy shop was in Cromer. On the high street, opposite the Parish Church. It's mainly a hardware store, but has toys and kitcheware up stairs, not that it has stairs, there is a slightly odd lift in the middle of the shop floor.

Slightly off topic but all this Norfolk chat brings back a few memories. In the 80's I drove for Nat Ex & one of my favorite summer runs was from Brum to Cromer. It took nearly 8 hours with 32 stops & I had a B & B in Cromer & returned next day. The route varied each summer but in winter it terminated at Kings Lynn. I stayed in two hotels there but names escape me now, one just through the South Arch on right & the other on the corner in the one way system just up from the station. The nearest I've got in recent years is Peterborough where we stay with the caravan next to the NVR...... must drag it a bit further into Norfolk one day for old times sake. Sorry Chris.....

Genuinely nice to be out in the garden today. Didn't even need to wear a coat.

The track got a clean and a EWS 66 with autoballasters got a short run out.

My temperamental accessory decoder has sprung back to life, it doesn't like the cold. Bit of a relief, it controls 14 points so it's rather important. One point motor that had wintered in the shed was returned to operation. The two which were left out were fine. The final point motor in the shed sidings was wired up, I hadn't bothered previously because the Accy Decoder wasn't working...

Should have a new train to play with tomorrow. Bachmann Windhoff MPV has been dispatched by ModelZone. I'll have to DCC it, but I have the chip and it's the easiest ever train to convert. http://www.bromsgrovemodels.co.uk/bachmannwindhoffdccinstr.htm?v=NfoIXfeg430" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

forecast is for 16ºc on Sunday :)