Amblethorpe

chris

drmalesis said:

Hi Chris' date=' How are you getting on with the ply for your track base ? I've still not decided whether to use ply or decking boards yet, so If you don't mind I have a couple of questions...

1. What thickness of ply are you using ?

2. Is the plywood standard ply , exterior ply or marine ply ?

\ said:

The down side is that I it will stall construction because i now need to buy more ply.

Whatever Ply you use Duncan always paint it with an exterior paint to keep the water out. Otherwise it will warp like decking boards do.

Roy.

I had a running session yesterday. Colwick Station had been impounded in the conservatory for a couple of months for complicated reasons, so it was good to get it out and have trains running into it, now it is basically complete. Later in the day I got an outside point installed, but I'll write about that elsewhere.

Has the bitumen given you any specific cause for concern Ian...?

No Duncan, it's just that the masonry paint is less messy and seems very good at protecting timber products.

Sorry for late reply... i've been on holiday in Porthmadog for a week. :)

• 1 month later...

Finally finding time to work on the railway and the weather is against me. As I've described elsewhere, I have managed to motorise a pair of points outside. I've also worked on the points at the south end of my shed, with 4 of the 5 now fitted with motors. I'm still working out how I want to install motors on the 3 remaining outdoor points. They will have to be mounted above the baseboard and I'm trying to think of a way to hide them with scenic items. I'm currently planning on building a road bridge to hide a couple of them, but I'm I don't like the Peco bridge side (LK-34) which I bought last week, so that will need more thought.

A small project that's been kicking around for ages is the installation of buffer lamps on the three platform ends of Colwick station. Having knocked up a prototype a few weeks ago I finally found the time to finish the job yesterday. I filed down a 2mm red LED and bent the legs through 90º to form the post. I soldered a 1K resistor on the anode and a power diode to the cathode (to protect the LED from the reverse current). I then soldered it up to the track ends and the DCC supply will power them. I've tested them with my trusty 9 volts battery, but I haven't hooked up the DCC system yet. They should work fine...

chris said:

inally finding time to work on the railway and the weather is against me. As I've described elsewhere, I have managed to motorise a pair of points outside. I've also worked on the points at the south end of my shed, with 4 of the 5 now fitted with motors. I'm still working out how I want to install motors on the 3 remaining outdoor points. They will have to be mounted above the baseboard and I'm trying to think of a way to hide them with scenic items. I'm currently planning on building a road bridge to hide a couple of them, but I'm I don't like the Peco bridge side (LK-34) which I bought last week, so that will need more thought.

As a matter of interest Chris, who's points are you using, Peco or Hornby. I'm in the process of putting an order together for track and points and need a little guidance... :?

Duncan

Peco Code 100 all the way. Most of them are long radius, a few in the shed sidings are medium, one pair are curved.

I started using electrofrog, basically because they are cooler, but have switched to buying insufrog for two reasons. Firstly powering the frog means extra wiring, which I want to avoid outdoors. The second reason is that when you run a train into a point when it's set wrong it shuts down the whole DCC system (built-in short protection) this is a pain when the train is 10 metres away and you have to walk up the garden, again, to push the train back and then, on return, you find that bits of the system have lost track of which points are thrown or closed.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Some progress today. I've made most of the framework needed to support the baseboard where the track exits the shed. I also painted the top 20 cm or so of a couple of fence panels to see how they look as back boards. Will need to get a move on in the next couple of months if I'm going to get any more track down this year.

IanR said:

And still no photos!

chris said:

Still no camera

traingeekboy said:

someone you know has a camera, you must barrow it! We want photos

IanR said:

You can borrow mine Chris.

Will Chris ever get a camera...

Can he resist the mounting pressure...

How will it end...

For the answer to this, Life and the Universe - tune in next week...

Same time...

Same channel...

For another exciting episode of "Chris's Camera"... :lol:

Duncan

Technically the broken camera is my wife's. The good news is that she'll needed to use a carmera twice this week, so we've decided that I should buy one when pop into York later on.

The sarga of the Grand Central HST may also finish today :!: