Amblethorpe

chris

Hi Chris, very nice indeed, the pillars in the centre platform did you by them or make the, your self, the brick work is stunning as well, how did you do the windows, I am scratch building the famous Sydney Central station and have heaps of windows to build.

Here is a couple of pics of Sydney Central covered, I will be having a clear covering to see the inside, planning to buy a lot of people figures.

Keep the nice work up, Mick hope the pics are ok

Tony from down under

central.jpg

Central_Station_in_Sydney.jpg

aussietmrail said:

Hi Chris, very nice indeed, the pillars in the centre platform did you by them or make the, your self, the brick work is stunning as well, how did you do the windows, I am scratch building the famous Sydney Central station and have heaps of windows to build.

The pillars themselves came from the kit for the roof Peco LK-20X. I have loads left over.

To thin out the forest of pillars I created a span using Plastruct Open Web Trusses along the top I can't remember the size, but a larger size would have been better. The arch effect used a local supplier, York Model Making Canopy Bracket D109.

The walls are foam board, 5mm, covered with Metcalfe M0052 Dressed Gritstone card. The Windows are York Modelmaking 00 Scale Window Frame 105 with 00 Scale Brick And Stone Headers 105.

The valance at the country end is scratch built using glazing from the roof kit and plastruct I girder.

922ffccafe6490813611153cef7d8f2b.jpg

The scaffolding rig over Platforms 1 and 2 uses some some bits form a faller kit but most of it is build from solid core copper wire soldered together, sprayed grey. The safety fencing is aluminium mesh sprayed orange.

110222b83e6fb8e1cf1206fedd7ee9da.jpg

Station signs were printed on white card.

The reason for the scaffolding rig is to give the effect that the glazing is being replaced. Half of the roof was from my original station build. It's glazing had faded yellow having lived in direct sunlight for 4 years. The contrast is stark, but I've worked with that and made it a feature.

TheQ said:

if this site had a system for acknowledging workmanship and "like" I think you would score highly!!!

I think we need one for this topic alone. It gets better and better with each photo.

It really is difficult from the photos to say which is real and which is model. I stared for a while the other day until I saw a piece of litter on the real one, unless you are creating scale Tesco bags. Even the high level scaffolding is perfect, especially with a reason for being there.

roddy said:

It really is difficult from the photos to say which is real and which is model. I stared for a while the other day until I saw a piece of litter on the real one, unless you are creating scale Tesco bags. Even the high level scaffolding is perfect, especially with a reason for being there.

The one thing about the photo that bugs me is the tension lock coupling on the Pacer. The model (which is superb) came with replacement cosmetic couplings and I'm wishing I'd swapped that one in. The reason I've kept the tension lock is because I do sometimes run it as a four car with the Sprinter seen in the video. I should replace the coupling at just the one end of each of those units to create a good compromise.

Iain wrote

Stunning station Chris

Iain those two pics I put on Chris's post to show what my station will look like when finished.

Thanks for those links Chris I think I will have scratch build mine as on Sydney central station there is a lot of arches I think same with the windows as depends on the sizes, cost is an issue as well, I am going to build my building out of 1mm thick cardboard sheets onto a ply base be in three section because of the size of the building.

Mick wrote

I think we need one for this topic alone. It gets better and better with each photo.

Good idea Mick who wants make a start on a new post as I will be starting on my Sydney Central Station soon.

Great idea adding that scene to your canopy Chris with the scaffolding adds detail do you have work man figures up there as well, well done.

Keep up the good work and pics flowing Chris :roll::roll::P;)

Tony from down under

I must admit that I haven't been on the forum much lately but you've certainly been busy while my back's been turned!

I love the additions to Amblethorpe, the station interior looks so much better.

Well done Chris!

Thanks Ian,

We still need to dress the station a bit further. We picked up some Noch figures half price from the Ian Allen Bookshop closing down sale while we were over in Manchester to see Springsteen. They still cost us a bomb! I need to make some signs and other clutter to make it (even) more realistic.

I have a Metcalfe Station building that will fit on the end. But I see that they are just about to release a new upgraded version, so I may go with that one.

I'm suffering from a lack of motivation, so not making anywhere near as much progress as I could be.

chris said:

...I'm suffering from a lack of motivation, so not making anywhere near as much progress as I could be.

By the footfall on the forum you're not the only one Chris. It's strange how we wait for the better weather in order to get cracking outside and then the better weather seems to tempt us into doing other things.

I look upon a garden railway as a long-term project (that's my excuse anyway) so it's fine to take a step back now and again. It would be unhealthy if we were to do nothing else.

Shot some video a couple of weeks ago, but it wasn't up to much. Finally got round to cutting this together.

I've had this train for a couple of years, but so far it has been camera shy.

Of to the show at NRM Shildon tomorrow which should give me some insipation. The weather is looking good for the weekend. I need to think up a storyboard for my next video.

Nice video Chris. I miss my freight trains, what with this video and Tony's talk about containers, I'm reminded I need to get the attic layout up and running too. Loved the lineside shot of the container sides passing by, just as I remember them. I do like to see rakes of coaches but there's nothing as inspiring as a long freight train slowly snaking it's way across a junction.

• 1 month later...

I'm trying o focus on scenery at the moment. The building site, which I've been building for three years has received rebuild and is finally complete.

Attention has moved to a long strip of baseboard which is totally bear apart form the twin track. I did a lot of train travel in June and July, lots of rover tickets and spent a lot of time looking at what is right next to the railway. Horse stables and paddocks appear surprisingly frequently. I purchased the new Metcalfe horse stable and show jumps along with some fencing (Peco have redesigned there trackside fencing - looks the same, much better to build). Found some suitable hardboard, glued on some grass matt added the stable and fencing and within a week I had a nice new addition.

221f94148d4d5f83a80454bae06086d8.jpg

3ded07216576adf6d1622d5ce98e5613.jpg

They are four separate boards for ease of movement and storage. They need dressing with tree and shrubs to finish them off.

Since the picture I've repainted the fence in a fresh coat of sky blue and will be adding pan scrubs soon.

Hi Chris, I too like the video of your intermodal train does British rail have double stack container trains, same with the farm yard scenes, what kind of grass sheets did you use they look pretty good.

I have designed my layout for long freight trains longer the better, the spiral is still has the same shape of the Tehachapi loop did , replacing the couplers on my double stack intermodal train as I had heaps of trouble in the vide clip of losing half the wagons.

Not going to have a lot of scenery on my layout mainly the two bridge end modules a back scene complete with a wind turbine farm and a ferry passing in under the bridge , and station modules, witch I will set up and level before finishing the spiral.

That 66 class diesel loco does it pull coaches from time to time, I would love one, pretty dear over here $200+, keep the good work up

Tony from down under.

• 1 month later...

I've had some Ten Commandment castings hanging around for years. I finally found a way of using a couple of them.

My fence is made out of interlaced planks of wood on either side of the frame. The construction allows the wind to blow through. It also means that the top plank is set back 4cm from the one bellow. I've finally worked out how to make this a feature of my railway. When I cover the near plank in pan scrubs I can place a low relief building on the rear plank and make use of the depth. Like so.

b365ba6cef0ef50077e5744258efa3f6.jpeg

I've also knocked together some low relief static caravans to make use of the feature.

I've built a small baseboard with buildings to support my fuelling point. I've placed it next to a level crossing. With the static caravans behind a lot of foliage, including B&M Bargains plastic plant leaves. (as ever I'm following IanR's lead). I've painted a road surface on the roofing felt.

75c5d794c7003f4127371d810b6b460a.jpeg

8a018e62e9aa960a0d74be099b0edb95.jpeg

I should get round to weathering the ground on the depot so the transition from black to grey isn't as stark.

On the other side of the level crossing is the stable and paddock (see above). Sarah suggested that we add a small house on the entrance to the paddock. With removable baseboards it was simple to slide the paddock along to fit small board in. We've had an unpainted resin bungalow for years. It'll do the job. When I get round to painting it.

53cab5f0a5577e29fd00e5dd05f7bdcf.jpeg

f8f14526e8e4913b5e2a478dae0e8718.jpeg

Yesterday I cracked on with a job that has been going a round my head for 3 years. My tracks are completely level. I have an embankment with an bridge under. I have a viaduct. But i don't have any hills or cuttings. I designed one corner with landscaping in mind.

4c03a0aa7449c9ac43bd4dacfcad5f10.jpeg

There is room here for the landscape to rise above and fall below the baseboard level. I'll have it rising on both side of the track, so the railway will pass through a cutting.

Yesterday day I built a two level baseboard, out of core. It's so easy to work with, I had it built in no time. Then I added Kingspan on top which I've roughly shaped.

0d3913ea3f8e780c96c2ab47a7bbb520.jpeg

205c7764d8cee709464634ec0d2f5dfc.jpeg

Lots of work still to be done on it, as well as the far side.