SEEP PM-4 Point Motors

mick

Wondered if anyone has had any experience with the Seep PM-4 motors? We've raised the problems of the little point springs rusting and failing in Peco points and how it can be difficult to get at the points to rectify the problem once they are in situ. The Seep PM-4 is 'self-latching' so you don't need the spring in the points themselves. If the point motor can be protected from the weather then it sounds feasible to believe that the spring within the point motor would last longer than one in the points. The PM-4 is also fitted with an auxilliary switch for changing frog polarity etc.

this is a great soulution to many of our problems with points. if it can be made water tight then a very good solution. i think this will have to be tested at some point... ( no pun intended) i have had a few solutions running around my head, they still need more thaught.

Tom

Peco do point motor mounting plates with arms to allow you to place your motor along side a point. When purchased individually they have a latching spring and the spring on the point can be removed. There is also a twin pack with no spring.

I've used these mounting plates on some of my outdoor points and they work fine and have allowed me to hide my motors in lineside structures.

The PM-4 is interesting, but is generally designed for installation under the baseboard. I have used a couple of PM-1s outside under the board with good results.

I haven't had problems with my springs. I put a blob of silicon grease on them and that repels water.

I'm not sure that the PL-12 mounting (adaptor) plate with spring is still in the Peco catalogue. It appears that the version without a spring, the PL-12X, is a 'replacement' for the one containing a spring. Reading online, several indoor modeller's were complaining that the additional spring was putting excessive resistance on their point motors and they didn't wish to remove the spring from their points for fear of damaging them. It was proving easier, and less fraught with danger, to remove the spring from the mounting plate instead. Don't take this as gospel - I was just reading between the lines and could be wrong.

The SEEP motors are designed for below baseboard mounting but can be used above board too with a little adaptation. I just soldered a link arm across from the operating pin at 90 degrees to it and it works fine. You can drill a hole in the baseboard for the surplus operating pin to extend below or as I have done, just cut the excess off. I will be trying a PM-4 at the end of the viaduct instead of the side-mount motor I originally intended to use. That way I will have the benefit of live frog switching too.

• 2 weeks later...

I have fitted new spings in installed Peco points with no difficulty. It's a delicate job requiring a magnifier and a good light (with my eyesight), side cutters and fine-nosed pliers, but it's not difficult. Springs are available free from Peco. Suitable maintenance should prevent rusting in the first place.

My latest crossover is easily removable when not in use.

It is currently manual, but in the process of having SEEP PM1 motors fitted.