Open Days

fungus

Has anyone ever considered setting aside an afternoon during which other forum members can come and visit their railway, and meet each other? It might compensate slightly for the fact that you can't take your garden layout to an exhibition! I suspect that dates would remain tentative until a few days before, when a reasonably reliable weather forecast may be available. As we are well distributed around the country, and in some cases the world, attendances are likely to be small, but it might be worth a try. What do you think?

I would be happy to open my garden on this basis, though I'm not able to commit to any dates just at the moment. Any other offers?

Can there be a more ideal setting for a get-together?

I think one or two members have raised the possibility of 'open days' or visits in the past but I'm not aware of any such events having taken place. As you point out, we are somewhat widely distributed around the country and beyond (I'm looking forward to an invitation from Roy!) so I would expect any such days so agreed to be somewhat 'quiet' affairs. Off hand I don't recall where each of us resides (well, I know where I live of course) but yes, if anyone is interested then there's no reason why we can't have days where we invite other members to visit. Personally I would like to have an operational layout before extending any offers!

I have been thinking of doing something along these lines for my close modeller friends, but if & when I get around to doing it, I will offer an open invitation to anyone on the forum.

Luckily, being a man and boy railwayman, I still get free rail travel, so if you live near a railway station, I can probably get to you too :)

I suggested this on my thread a while back. hoping to have one this coming weekend. but i couldn't get the week off work and been working to much that i have been unable to get sufficient track laid to complete the full loop. It may happen in a few months. if i am lucky!! but because of how seperated we are over the country, i think this would be a very rare occasion. i know there is a few members near york? and a few all the way down south. not forgetting Griff or Roy!

It's kind of funny. i have modeler friends here who can't seem to make it to drive up the road a couple miles for a visit. I have one friend who likes to run coal trains that are too long for my layout on his club layout. I keep pestering him to bring em over for some photos outdoors.

You guys have fun with the get together. Maybe I'll join in via skype. :) Lets see... noon your time is 4 am or so my time... Err... can you schedule it earlier or later? ha ha

I think this is a good idea, a similar thing happens on a Hifi(Audiophile) forum I am on, people take different kit to try out, a few records(often vinyl) and food and drink to supplement the hosts efforts. We call it a bakeoff. It would be a good way to share ideas, check out ready to run or self built models and even view alternative DC or DCC control systems.

To get the ball running I am happy to have a small number of visitors during the coming week if anyone is interested. By the way I am in London NW3.

I actually have something on similair lines in that I have an open invitation for any modellers who are on holiday in my neck of the woods, can come and visit the GGR. Of course prior planning is a must and we have to hope that the weather on the proposed days visit holds good or else its just a boring time running trains in the shed.

On another forum that I frequent I have a couple of visitors planning to visit the GGR in September whilst they are having their holidays.

A good way of getting rid of the wife in town for a few hours whilst you disappear to play trains.

Ian

To get the ball running I am happy to have a small number of visitors during the coming week if anyone is interested. By the way I am in London NW3.

Oh, I was in London last week and I'll be back on the 21st.

If anyone is coming to York then feel free to ask for an invite to Amblethorpe. IanR is going make here one Sunny Sunday.

In a normal week I'd take up your offer, but his week I'm heading north for a few days. I'm in north Surrey by the way (almost SW London), and about 500yds from a railway station on the west of England main line. Next time!

Griff,

If I ever get state side again will make a point of trying to visit you, but it all depends on my brother, when he next invites me over there for a holiday, and he's very good because he pays for my airfare and hire car.

Last time I was over back in 2005 I drove right past Steam Town and missed the oppotunity of having my picture taken standing next to my favourite loco, the UP Big Boy that they have on display there.

Ian

Definitely sounds like a great idea, would have to convince the wife though! I think she is still rather sceptical on the whole model railway scene :)

I'm in West Norfolk, format look as if any of you guys are near. Could travel though as I tend to be in London for work every day anyway!

I'd be happy to offer anyone a view of my railway. But for those of you in the UK it would be an expensive visit as the aussie dollar is buying nearly 70p. I live a fair way away from Sydney(thank god) although there is a motel down the rode as I have no room to accommodate anyone and little parking space. It's a 10 minute up hill walk to my place from the motel.

The only trouble is that I work 6 days a week and when a weekend off comes around it's usually raining. :x The last time I went to the UK it was in aussie dollars a $3,000 round trip. $2,500 for the airfare and $500 for medical insurance. Although you maybe jealous when you see how much we pay for petrol, at the moment 65p per litre. It's odd Griff but our TV stations over here show the price of West Texas Crude which is meaningless really as our oil price is Tapis which is Singapore.

Still if you want to come and have a look your most welcome. Bring your wives but have a look around Australia while your here. Remember Australia is the same size in land mass as the United States.

Roy.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I have been thinking of doing something along these lines for my close modeller friends, but if & when I get around to doing it, I will offer an open invitation to anyone on the forum.

Luckily, being a man and boy railwayman, I still get free rail travel, so if you live near a railway station, I can probably get to you too :)

Me too!