Patio line

flapland101

Just started building my first layout since my teens on my large first floor patio. Have had a loose laid layout for a couple of months already but decided to make it something more permanent as I was both enjoying returning to the hobby, building a collection of stock and fed-up with dodgy joins due to the uneven surface. Its going to be about 3.25x3.70m with twin tracks, one four track station(initially) and initially a four track wagon/coach siding and four track shed. I am using Fllcris plastic decking boards and there special railway curves with a 1m radius and will be using DCC. Track will be Peco 100 fixed direct to the plastic planks although might use roofing felt or similar to get the basic gravel effect at a later date. Era is likely to be 4 or 5 with the North London Line and Midland Mainline having some influence as I live between the two.

Below is a initial photo with one end of the track bed roughly built. Most of the larger pot plants will go to my neighbour !!

Will update as I go along in the coming week.

IMG_0228.jpg

IMG_0227.jpg.4676bf1bf1005b4dfa083279f98b281a.jpg

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome! It's good to have the 'Patio Line' as part of our expanding forum and another 'under construction' layout for us to keep an eye on.

Extremely interesting as I was looking at the Filcris plastic base some time ago and have a link to their website in the Garden Railway Techniques section. I can see the planks in your photos but what are the other sections that you've used to construct the base support? Is it standard timber?

I think most of us have returned to the hobby at some point in time. It seems to be one of those hobbies that keeps us coming back.

According to one major retailers website, era 4 - 5 covers the years 1948 to 1966 while some online sources suggest era 4 - 5 covers the period 1968 - 2000. Does either of those cover your period of interest?

Looking forward to seeing things develop further so do keep updating us.

Hi everyone and thanks for your welcome. The patio is on the first floor and is the same size as the downstairs flats living room. I am looking at the 1950's-66 timespan although I suspect will have some impostors from before and after for example the SECR C-Class due in the autumn. The whole thing will be built out of recycled plastic using 140mmX18mmX3m planks, 50mmX50mm posts cut from a 3m length and the pre-cut 60 degree curves with a 1.1m radius. I might have to use a little but of wood as I may have under-ordered posts and I think I will fix the some bits to the wall as well as the post supports.

Best thing is I should have a running line by tomorrow evening if the weather doesn't get in the way and the initial track plan done by the end of the week.

And just when we thought we had seen everything possible for a garden railway, along comes one that none of us would have thought of! Patio/balcony railway!!

Griff will be interested in this as it will be reminiscent of his beloved Italy and the real balcony railway that they have there (between, I think, Genoa and Monaco)

Ok the oval and most of the sidings base has been completed although a few extra posts may be required. The total length is around 12-13m plus about 10m in the sidings This afternoon will loose lay points and starting fixing mainline.

The patio faces towards Hampstead Heath and the sidings and station will be on the right hand side as you face out.

DSCF3079.JPG

IMG_0230.jpg

IMG_0229.jpg.f40f1764ebb6dcecffb28f6b659d64f3.jpg

IMG_0230.jpg.3bd8343d1e33daab2907f2f3c949e4a0.jpg

THIS is wonderful.

Plastic decking... Who woulda thunk it? No mess no fuss modeling and completely water proof!

Oh, and the plants in pots. I love it. You may find yourself buying more plants as the layout evolves. Or simply re-arrange the pots for a different look every once in a while.

George, mere mention of the Genoa line and i'm salivating over memories of SNCF and FS trains at venti miglia. :lol:

Ok the Patio line is open for limited services but is subject to timetable changes and unexpected engineering work :o . The next picture was taken 7:00pm today and shows my Bachmann 9f on a 16 wagon goods train and my Bachmann Patriot on a short passenger train. I still need to sort out my sidings with a few more points and fishplates plus wiring up. The main running lines currently only have a single feed but I will sort that out in the coming week when I get flux and more solder for the soldering iron and suitable sized drill bit to make the holes to feed the wire through the boards. All in all though I am really pleased with the outcome so far.

IMG_0235.jpg.e3953bd2c8b127ed80d25c70da3138b1.jpg

I'll tell you what, you should start selling these 'layout in a day' packages. You'd be on to a winner!

I'm sitting here feeling good with myself because I've tweaked and laid half-a-dozen lengths of flexi and you've built a complete layout! And you've gotten rid of the plant pots! It would have taken me that long just to get those wagons out of their boxes.

Absolutely top notch and can't wait to see what appears next. I'm guessing we'll be seeing London Underground beneath the balcony by the weekend :)

It has been really quick although I do have a lot of tweaks to do and need to double up on the track pins including pining the sidings when I get some extra points etc. Started the build 4pm yesterday and a working mainline at 6.00pm today. However I had loosed laid most of it direct on the flagstone during the past month so had a good idea what I wanted and the plastic planks are really easy to work with although a circular saw would have been easier than the jigsaw I used. Circular saws though scare the shit out of me and I aren't going to get one for myself as I am too cack handed. Of course it is a work in progress like all of the layouts. I now need some decent coaches as the Lima/Hornby ones I have aren't great so considering some of the Dapol 57ft Staniers as they fit the location and some Bachmann Mk1s but that will have to wait until funds allow.

Plants are just moved to another corner out camera shot but I am wondering what to do with the plant stand as its just in the way now. The wagons were on a IKEA shelf in the living room which backs onto the patio so they didn't need unboxing. Long term solution to storage though is required and I am considering using a couple of underbid storage boxes waterproofed and compartmentised.I am afraid the London Underground is too deep round hear(Belsize Park is nearest) to model. As mentioned before I am close to the North London Line between Hampstead Heath and Gospel Oak and the Midland Mainline near the site of the former Lismore Circus station. Occasionally I get to hear the steam specials returning to Southall from Kings Cross late evening including A4's and Britannia Class locos.

traingeekboy, your right the Lima aren't that bad just need better couplings but the Hornby ones aren't in the best of condition and squeak and de-rail even with new metal wheels. The stand is just at the wrong height to put a track through it but I am sure I will think of something. The plants in general will fit around the layout although they need something decent in them which I will sort out for next year I think.

Ok two pictures from today in the sun, sorry about the quality but my decent camera is playing up so having to use iPhone. Might relay the points this weekend as I think I have worked out a way of getting both longer sidings and perhaps platforms. Will draw as is and to be for you suggestions tomorrow.

DSCF3079.JPG

IMG_0240.jpg

IMG_0237.jpg.746020a422ffa39a1492a0be3ec66006.jpg

IMG_0240.jpg.2252c8757ff8936e69587c870fb4cbcd.jpg

A belated welcome to the forum from me. Mick's right an instant garden railway almost just add water and stir. It looks really great and if I were to do that I'd need to build the patio first as I haven't got one. Can't wait to see a video of your developed line.

Roy.

By its very nature, a garden layout usually takes much longer to get to a point where you can begin running trains and yet the best way to maintain enthusiasm and interest is to get something moving. You've accomplished that in no time at all which may say a lot for the choice of recycled plastic as a base. The main thing is you've got something running and you can go back and make amendments to the layout as you see fit. The best track configuration for your needs will become evident as you continue using it and the evolution of 'your' railway will only add to the overall interest. Looking forward to continued developments.