standard class 4MT tank 80120

SouthernTom

Tom - I've found that if a loco derails too easily, there's usually a reason. If all the other locos are ok, then the first thing to check is the wheel back-to-back dimensions. Then with the loco inverted, apply a voltage and make sure none of the wheels are wobbling. Finally, check that the pony truck and bogie are correctly fitted (there is usually some sort of mild spring to apply a little extra downward pressure to them). If all these are ok, then you start on test running, observation, and lateral thinking!

Of the "brand new" locos I have bought, a fair proportion have needed some work to get them running properly, and the faults are usually things that can only have originated in manufacture. It shouldn't happen, but that seems to be the way it is. Some faults have been pretty obscure and difficult to find, but it's a good feeling when it's fixed!

Ian

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the late reply, i checked the back-to-back's there fine, but however, on both the pony and bogie, there was no spring action, the front just required a tweak on the sprunk piece of metal on them to give some more force on the pony. and the bogie had a spring that was as useful as a chocolate tea-pot, so to speak. so i replaced it with a fairly stong one cut down to size. it now runs very well and smoothly. with no de-railments.

(forgot to reply before)

Tom

• 3 weeks later...

I have this same loco as well as 80140. I've spent the evening trying to dismantle 80140 in order to fit a sound chip - what a job! Finally managed to get it apart only to find there's very little room for the slightly larger decoder. I think I've found a way to fit everything in but will have to wait for daylight before doing anything else. As for my usual damage - I've got one buffer and the cab seats to refit so far - not a bad days work.

i would really enjoy reading how you fitted the chip! when i get my first DCC system, i have about 5 locos that i need sound chipping asap, some i want done by experts so to speak. I have a couple of standard 4MT's that are fairly easy to do myself, so i have been told. i Have a couple of 4 foot baseboards for an indoor layout that will be made into a sound fitted only loco shed and coaling yard. all singing, all dancing with lights, signals and all things you would see. it will just be locos moving around re-coaling and turning around. thats the plan anyway! ahaha.

The 4MT isn't easy at all - I'm struggling to get a version 4 chip in. 80140 was originally a DCC factory-fitted loco but the sound chip is larger than the original standard DCC chip. There's insufficient room without some major modifications and I don't think my eyesight is up to the task. As for the speaker, the only space is in the cab and the standard speaker that comes with the soundchip is too large to lie flat on the cab floor. Possibly the only place is on the underside of the cab roof but either way I don't think you'll have room for the sound chamber too. I think this is one job, certainly in my case it is, best left to the experts. It's not an easy introduction by any means.

opps, my bad. i meant i have a couple of Standard 4MT tender locos that are rather easy to do. but my tank loco, that will have to be send off to howes or somewhere similar. i would really like to watch this loco with a sound chip in it plot around the garden! it would look so ellagent. cant wait to watch a video of your's in your garden when its done! :D