the Dorking Garden Railway

Andrew

I had to do real gardening this fine weekend, so didn't get any trains running. However, I did manage to relocate the bird nesting box which last year led the blue tits to close down DGR operations for a month. I noticed one of the rail-end bonds I'd carefully done a week ago (to make sure that the whole circuit was bonded) has duly popped off - Sod's Law strikes again. Still, I need to crack on and edit my Australian video. There's a bit of artistic licence involved because my so-called Aussie lightweight aluminium train includes this distinctly alien vehicle:

3282b71db573c2ef0758130b467a90b2.jpg

It's a Brazilian Frateschi model of an RFFSA Brasil coach which I found in a model shop in Santiago, Chile. Let's hope the masquerade works once the video hits the streets...

Having a few recent video clips waiting to be edited together, I decided to try adding a soundtrack. The excellent Steamsounds website provides lots of material. You can judge the potential from the half-minute video here:

I thought I'd make a point of mentioning my new points. The DGR since its beginning has been comprised of a single oval of track, which is fine for tail-chasing and one-train videos, but the time has come to branch out. Stage 1 is to install a pair of points that will initially provide a headshunt and siding, then add another point to make two sidings. This will allow two operators to run independently. The plan is to work towards double-tracking the entire oval, moving outwards from the crossover, with the sidings eventually becoming passing loops to enable each track to have two trains.

Here's the first part of stage 1: the new point:

10d2dd03523828d568e3685df07dde50.jpg

The main line has been slewed slightly to get an easier reverse curve. The jumpers still need to be given their rust paint, but that has to await the installation of the second point. There are no jumpers on the branch of the point because that joint will have insulated fishplates.

Once the second point is in, I'll have to see if I can emulate those clever people who use angle cranks and bike cables and change both sets of points from a single lever (lolly-stick or otherwise). Hhmmm. I'll need some proper signals soon...

The UK OO garden railway season is upon us! :D Isn't it great to be able to make some progress and to read about others doing likewise.

I had completely overlooked the fact that you only had one track currently available. Didn't you have any sidings either? To be honest, from your videos it's not been evident that there's only a single circuit. Two tracks and a couple of storage loops will give you so much more operational possibilities. Let us know how you get on with operating the points.

"I thought I'd make a point of mentioning my new points." err... *GROAN* :lol::lol::lol:

Good to see you adding some points. I started the same way with just one little trailing spur. Now I've got a bunch of points that need to go on the layout soon. It should be fun to watch your progress this summer.

I love seeing the evolution of all of the railways, I can visualise double track running through the scenery. I have just one set of point on my inner track, still not got around to adding the sidings. Maybe this year!

• 1 month later...

Just managed to complete phase two of the railway - a headshunt and two sidings off the continuous circuit. Eventually one siding and the headshunt can be expanded into full double tracking of the main line with the other siding becoming a loop, but, as we all know, talk is cheap.

Visually, Bamboo Curtain Straight will never be the same again. I quite liked its previous uncluttered appearance, which could represent anything from the West Coast main line to the Australian outback. Now it may have more of an emphatically railway character.

The dead frog points, as expected, don't seem that great for some locos at slow speeds, but live frogs are a step too far for me at present. After 18 months of relatively trouble-free running on the phase one, no-points layout, it will be interesting to see how different maintenance will be with three points to consider - and to polish carefully.

Before that, I should try to install some manual point control systems.

Here are the photos. First an aerial view of the new layout looking towards the sidings. Note how the decking boards have shrunk to create a daylight gap that wasn't there when the line was built.

c1d7b278a94f8bbe5fc30f4b92e42953.jpg

This is a view towards the headshunt, with a tank loco pausing between shunting moves, safely isolated from the main line.

519ef7c7f386a46e1ec2aea144fa1bd3.jpg

Finally we see the buffers at the ends of what, today, look like carriage sidings, as a light engine, an AL6 electric, glides mysteriously past on the main line. BTW, as it's an old Tri-ang Hornby, its wheels are too coarse to pass happily through my new points - one downside to the new order.

107158f2c8551e4f75e75481bfbd92f4.jpg

When you look at the effects the weather has on your timber decking boards it makes me wonder how we ever manage to run 4mm scale model trains outdoors under these conditions. Considering the different materials we use and how each has their own rate of expansion/contraction you have to admit that we do a remarkable job keeping things running. My back garden gate is very similar to your boards - damp and it conceals almost everything but dry and you can see people passing on the other side!

I'm sure you'll manage to cope with the added maintenance of the three sets of points. They're not really too much trouble but a reliable method of operation will make the task more enjoyable. There's been little said on the forum about manual point operation so it will be interesting to see what you come up with. Have you discounted electric point motors?

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday was my first running session with phase two of the layout in operation, i.e. the sidings and headshunt. A friend came over with some coaches and goods wagons to augment my fleet.

The new layout enabled us to operate with several locos on the track and to rediscover the joys of shunting (which weren't available with the previous single track circuit layout). The sidings and headshunt are each long enough for a loco and nine coaches. Although each siding can be electrically isolated to hold a train (sorry, no DCC here yet), yesterday's session made clear that what's also needed is a push button operated loco isolating section at the end of each siding, so that a train can be drawn in by one engine and then taken out by another.

Still, the sun shone as the photos below show, and the birds sang as may become apparent once the video emerges...

[image]2524[/image]

315fa229daf5f196aae862f193ba5d89.jpg

Like Griff says, those photos with an array of loco's and rolling stock on view, does look a lot of fun and I'm sure with a friend round it's even more enjoyable. Looking forward to the bird songs....

• 2 weeks later...

Today's 'action' sees an up express on the East Coast Main Line, probably a bit north of Peterborough and bound for King's Cross, being hauled by Deltic (later Class 55) No. D9002 "The King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry". As so often on the DGR, the period is some time in the early 1960s before the locos turned blue and the coaches went blue and grey. D9002 has been bought from the "Great British Locomotives Collection" and as such arrived stuffed and mounted on a plinth. Despite not being able to turn a moulded-solid wheel, she looks passable - as long as you don't look too closely at the detailing and the paint job. Just imagine the roar of those Napiers!

8b87032564f139eafe00153cef153d6d.jpg

1268803b25c25f1e72b4aefcffa3c9d9.jpg

21b45bfa53eb15ec1be3836738358f27.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Another sunny Sunday afternoon, and Colin arrived with a bagful of locos rescued from decades in his loft. We set them out and got them going. The two minute video is at:

And here are a few photos, although the "Rocket" only appears in the video:

f2d2ba82b02ae4379c533b3383ba09da.jpg

[image]2585[/image]

[image]2583[/image]

• 1 month later...

Two recent visitors have brought Great Western/Western Region stock to the railway and this appears in a 5-minute video here:

Ian's treasures included this super-powered Network SouthEast set with two Class 50s from the Danes Wood Railway, with "Sir Edward Elgar" piloting in its 1984 replica GWR livery:

c02e04b416f43af2a37a89aa3898148e.jpg