the Dorking Garden Railway

Andrew

Yesterday saw celebrations from Dorking to Beijing marking the third anniversary of the official opening of the DGR. The date again saw the arrival of new rolling stock, this time some goods wagons, and so the running arrangements were designed to show off the new acquisitions.

In practice, the operation of mixed freight trains, where 'mixed' meant wagons by Airfix, Bachmann, Dapol, Hornby and Hornby Dublo, proved a bit difficult. What with couplings of different types, versions and heights, not to mention wagons varying from diecast to featherweight, a lot of time was spent rerailing recalcitrant stock. I seem to recall Thomas the Tank Engine saying something about trucks being naughty and undisciplined!

But the sun shone and the afternoon was enjoyable. Here are a few photos.

We start with 9F number 92185 at Throstlebeck Sidings awaiting the all clear to cross to the main line with its goods train.

DSC01997.JPG

DSC02002.JPG

DSC01991.JPG

As I was saying (before discovering I couldn't upload all my planned photos in one hit), once the 9F headed back to its depot, the Stanier 8F took to the tracks.

Here's the 8F with a lightweight assortment of mineral traffic passing Throstlebeck Sidings.

DSC01986.JPG

DSC02012.JPG

DSC01976.JPG

DSC01980.JPG

DSC02016.JPG

Smashing photo's Andrew. It's great to see someone keeping the forum ticking over with live action whilst the rest of us carry on building. :( Here's hoping I can be adding to those live shots sometime soon but in the meantime do keep posting your photos for us all as it keeps Griff happy too!.

• 1 month later...

Today I was lucky enough to discover some seasonal photos taken in the Fraser River Canyon, British Columbia, in the 1960s. They feature a pair of Canadian National F7As in zebra stripe livery with the 'wet noodle' logo, hauling a short freight train.

20151115_151034a.jpg

20151115_151115a.jpg

20151115_151303a.jpg

20151115_152043a.jpg

I was talking about this guy here: http://www.oogardenrailway.co.uk/download/file.php?id=3038&t=1

Your CN loco does indeed seem to be missing from the lists. A lot of toy trains had made up numbers, but Kato also released an N scale model under the same number. They usually do good research.

http://rrpicturearchives.net/locolist.aspx?id=CN&Page=31

But I found this number in the series. http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=282754&nseq=12

Not your loco, but a cool street running shot. http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=15604

HI Andrew very nice set of pics on the old stile reddish Electric, I am starting to like the older stile locos, looking into scratch building UP steam turbine locos, they were around in the 70's

Very interesting the talk on the CN F/7 class locos, I found the CN rosters for that class, 9162 doesn't exist as you say CN have a habit in renumbering their locos and the hobby builders have a habit in modelling that running number. The pics Griff put on are in that roster and have being renumbered.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/locolist.aspx?id=CN&Page=31.

We are copping for the next few days a taste of summer, going as high as 40 degrees on Saturday, no work on my layout to we get a cool change next week some time, be doing some drawing on the front plan of my station building.

Keep those good pics coming Andrew.

Tony from down under.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice photo Andrew.

If you notice any other missing photos just let me know - you can use the red exclamation mark to report any individual post so that I know which one it is. The photos are still there it's just the link that needs amending to point to the correct place.

• 2 weeks later...

As we approach the festivities, I'd like to thank all the contributors who have made the 00 Gauge Garden Railway website such fascinating reading this year. A special Thank You to Mick for facilitating and moderating the entire venture to ensure that it is such a valuable resource for all of us. A peaceful and happy Christmas to all, and health and happiness in the New Year. And let's hope Father Christmas brings each of us something for the railway!

DSC01755a.jpg.e05860789e7930443b01f74e2c0e2e6b.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We recently had a German HO steam afternoon, courtesy of David from Reigate who brought an assortment of Fleischmann, Piko and other locos and rolling stock. We tried pairings of several different 2-10-0s and ran the Prussian P8. It was rather cold but great fun. The link to the video of the session is below these (low quality) screengrabs:

IMG-20160225-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20160226-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20160225-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20160226-WA0005.jpg