the Dorking Garden Railway

Andrew

Thanks, Ian. The software is Windows Live Movie Maker. It came bundled on our laptop a couple of years ago and I only found it recently. I find it very intuitive and straightforward to use. It may even be free to download. Highly recommended.

For soundtracks, Jamendo.com has masses of rights-free music, or else Incompetech.com/music .

• 2 weeks later...

Another new DGR video has just been released after the clips have incubated for several months since being shot in July. Must admit that all my videos look a bit samey -- perhaps I need a different scriptwriter and some new plot-lines.

A still photo was posted here back in July at:

70cc0f1bef20aaeeaaca240292d77ca3.jpg

The video itself, A Pullman Moment, is in the usual place at the YouTube URL link below...

Andrew said:

Must admit that all my videos look a bit samey -- perhaps I need a different scriptwriter and some new plot-lines.

As always, nice shots of the DGR. If I were to suggest something, I would say a better, lower scale angle, as seen from a 00 scale persons perspective. This is what I always try to achieve on my stuff, because I know only too well that a double circuit oval isnt very exciting from any other angle.

That and a Wagon cam with a Wide Angle lens will really change the way you shoot and enjoy / share the DGR.

Craig, Much appreciate those tips, thanks, especially as I think you may have mentioned that you're a professional in that or a similar field. You certainly have some impressive videos there on Vimeo, especially your current work on night shots (your 'dark period' ?). I've long been an admirer of your well-populated station platforms, complete with Tardis, Grim Reaper and more, and of course your Darlington-style station layout.

OK, I'll be asking Father Christmas about that wagoncam. Of course, that will create even more incentive for me to get on and do the double-tracking on the DGR in order to try and emulate your superb 1930s-style parallel running action shots. We'll all be monitoring your video innovations avidly!

I've often thought that a "wagoncam" inside an Inspection Saloon would be good. It would be prototypically correct to propel (push) it in front of a loco and should be large enough to hold all the components. I wonder when Bachmann's ex-LMS saloon will eventually appear!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

You're a brave man! Just been catching up on some of your earlier videos and have to say how much I enjoyed the 'Southern Region in a Storm' video from back in October. Normally it's a battle against the elements to keep our trains running outdoors but in this case the elements have simply added to the realism and overall enjoyment. I'd also like to offer praise for the photo you posted on 5th December - a really wonderful image of a model train in an outdoor setting.

Andrew said:

On the Fifth Day of Christmas we were between storms and the winter sun shone so I was able to run some of the new rolling stock. The video has a festive flavour (but no snow yet) and the link is in the footer to this message...

Excellent!... Nice to see some winter running.

• 2 weeks later...

Mick and IanR,

Thanks for the helpful comments, folks. Winter isn't the best time for our hobby, so it's useful to keep an eye out for those occasional days even at this time of year when a combination of fine weather and personal circumstances enable trains to be run.

And thanks, Mick, for slotting links to my recent videos into your main video page. Wishing you both a much better time in 2014 (and equally to all our mates on the forum!). A.

• 1 month later...

Today's fine weather was ideal for the first running session of the year, which featured a BR Standard Class 4MT 4-6-0 on an inter-regional passenger train in the 1950s (as usual). The video will be along later.

c86fd1a3fc82f7e2258d67cd6a9cc027.jpg

f01d93d709c64848c352c94e6a74c919.jpg

883d56df7f79bf902ac88e084c46ee2c.jpg

Great work Andrew. Good to see someone back running again - it's bound to give encouragement to everyone else. Here's to a lengthy spell of settled weather for us all so that we can have the forum buzzing again.

In honour of Jon in Sydney finally moving on from posts(!) and achieving his first garden track laid and trains operating (congratulations, Jon!) (see http://www.oogardenrailway.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=705&start=80#p10909 ), I decided to help him celebrate by running my Australian rolling stock in today's afternoon sun.

My stuff, probably like me, dates from an earlier period than Jon's. The three Lima heritage coaches with six wheel bogies were acquired when visiting Australia in the 1980s, and the other bits and pieces were picked up piecemeal over the years in the UK. Some of the silver coaches which appear in the forthcoming video aren't actually from Down Under (one is a Frateshi model of a Brazilian RFFSA coach, and the other is a European TEE coach), so don't look too closely! Likewise the green Alco diesel (apologies to Australian railfans).

We start with shots of the New South Wales Government Railways 44-class diesel no. 4469. Leon Oberg's book "Locomotives of Australia" (1975) says that a hundred of this Alco-powered class were built in Australia between 1957 and 1968 for use on the NSWGR standard gauge system. The model is by Lima:

81cb7b52443d24153291787dcc8774ee.jpg

Here's the cab at the blunt end:

29df231607534b8dd4023123bec464cb.jpg

Here is the loco hauling a short train of older coaches through the Blue Mountains:

ddb9a8ee14c798cdd5dfbc7815dece53.jpg

And a close-up of the timber-bodied sleeping car showing a six wheel bogie:

78ce98c9114e4b0e7ca44bd9936b26c2.jpg

The train running out of the mountains and past the daffodils:

90ebd6e932589f6a3209113405914ad0.jpg

Finally, an appetiser for the video in the form of a Lima aluminium coach:

758a3cf7903416c9123b9e9c82588a25.jpg

Now that's two sets of video clips I've committed to edit. Anyone know where you can get HO scale kangaroos or crocs? I'll be back later...