the Dorking Garden Railway

Andrew

Hi Andrew, yet another set of nice pics indeed, what loco is the Piko, I was given a box of trains all Piko one is a 2-8-2 tank, actually very good runner, got a diesel as well it is a 120 class very noisy, not keen on the couplers want to change them, any ideas which way to go with the couplers.

One more day of summer, February has been a bad month heat wise, hope autumn is cooler, get stuck into my layout.

Tony from down under

DUCK OR GROUSE?

Meanwhile, in the absence of any current action on the DGR, let me recommend what could be one of the best garden railway videos on the web. "Duck or Grouse?" features characters Cyril and Daisy and has a very effective story element to complement the superb gauge 1, standard gauge outline garden railway:

It's an inspiring example to the rest of us to do better!

• 2 months later...

Nothing has happened on the railway recently and it hasn't run since February. This is a shame, but life does sometimes get in the way of running trains. But superb weather and a holiday weekend at last beckoned me out into the garden. It's amazing how much the weeds grow in spring when you look away! The railway was in pretty bad shape:

20160529_160449d.JPG

Now before trains can run I need to do more weeding and then get on with re-soldering rail-end connections which haven't survived the ravages of winter, pack some bits of track floating above the baseboard, and generally get things shipshape. I hope to be able to get some train photos up before long.

20160529_171410a.JPG

Nature is never less than enthusiastic at this time of year is it? The moment your back's turned it takes over the show. The DGR is barely recognisable under all that growth but like the shoots of early Spring I have no doubt it will reawaken with renewed vigour and treat us all to a wonderful display!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Andrew, nice lot of pics, I like the green coaches as well, can you buy Hornby coach sides as I have one green coach I was giver missing a side??

Finely saw on SBS Wednesday night the doco n the rebuild of the Flying Scot with Robson, he talked to Alan Pegler's daughter about her father saving the Flying Scot from the wreckers in 63.. They showed them going through the small corridor in the tender, not much room didn't know they had a corridor in the tenders and show the Flying Scot in the US nearly was left there and saved by that million aire., different matter when she visited down under was a success, give the doco a 9 out of 10

I am having trouble with permeant collectingthe tender and water tender together on my Flying Scot, I think I will be using Kadeee couplers.

Tony from down under.

traingeekboy said:

Is the Duchess what I've seen as a princess class loco?

To be correct, the "Princess" Class, often referred to as the "Princess Royal" Class, after the first named, included locos numbered (4)6200 to (4)6212.

The "Coronation" Class included locos numbered (4)6220 [named Coronation] to (4)6257.

To complicate things further, (4)6212 Duchess of Kent, was a Princess Class loco but two of the Coronation Class locos were named after Princesses ( [4]6223 Princess Alice and [4]6224 Princess Alexandra )

I have shown the (4) in brackets as LMS locos had this added at nationalisation when British Railways came into existence.

The two classes are very similar, but the Coronation Class was larger and improved. None of the Princess class were ever fitted with smoke deflectors but all of the Coronation Class ones were eventually, some having been previously fitted with a streamlined casing. 6229, Duchess of Hamilton, has now been re-fitted with the streamlining casing and looks magnificent.

Riddles

there is also (4)6202, the third Princess class chassis, formed a completely different class, in that it became the Turbomotive, a turbine powered steam locomotive.

Initially a massive success, but suffered during WW2 due to a lack of spare components, and postwar was rebuilt into a reciprocating locomotive, being something of a hybrid between Princess and Princess Coronation (a.k.a Duchess class), with Princess Chassis, and Duchess Boiler, double chimney. Sadly it was written off at the horrific Harrow & Wealdstone Crash in 1952.

The Princess Class could be likened to a pacific version of the GWR King class, with which it shared a striking number of dimensional details, wheel size, valve train, cylinders, crosshead etc. by the time Stanier had decided that the Princess could be enlarged, a number of lessons had been learned, and the Princess Coronations/Duchess, starting with 6220, took the principle further. Wheels enlarged to 6'8", 16.5" cylinders, longer stroke, new crosshead design, a substantial increase in heating surface (and superheating surface).

two Duchess class locomotives hold the records for the highest power output of a steam locomotive in the British Isles, 46225 and 46234.

Paul.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Andrew, nice couple of German steamy pics, like the red stream liner loco.

A question do you know anything about the new E320 Eurostar train ,it is awesome, they will probably never bring a model out, wondering if you have seen on close up as I am interested to see how all the coaches are coupled up, don't think they be like the older Eurostar train.

Looking into scratch building one set, love the shape of the front cab, the top of the coaches are different as well, many thanks if you can help out, I do have a couple of close up pics of the two coaches , the two coaches have their own bogies, is the whole train the same..

Going to check out the two videos have an appointment this morning will watch them then before I go in.

Tony from down under

Thanks Thomas, gee the Fleishmann Velaro-D ICE-407 is very close, the cab of the 320 is different though, be the way to go, you will need 18 cars all up be an expensive train to stuff up, I will be still thinking about scratching building the whole train. To power the front and rear locos I will be using those power bogies you can buy, that way I can detail the interior, the Fleishmann has darken windows to hide the motor.

The ICE-407 comes in an eight car train need another 10 cars, need to win the lotto this weekend, it is a big draw, be nice.

Tony from down under.

Fleischmann has also a version with interior and lights...

...just a little bit more expensive.

I can't see the differences you mentioned for the cabs:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e1/DB-Baureihe_407.JPG

http://www.siemens.com/press/pool/de/pressebilder/2014/mobility/300dpi/IM2014120282MO_300dpi.jpg

And the e320 has only 16 cars.

So you've to buy a 8-car set (about 650 Euros) and add 8 intermediate cars ( 4 sets of 2, about 500 Euros).