the Dorking Garden Railway

Andrew

• 4 weeks later...

Continuing with the mostly Southern Region flavour, I recently had another visit from Colin which enabled us to run a few more of his trains which hadn't seen daylight or turned a wheel for 30 years or more. These veteran locomotives ran very well.

The video of the day's events is here:

and here are a couple of photos of the M7 tank engine:

Local train passing Northdown Sidings

ba5ca9c68950da042be541809a64909d.jpg

M7 at Foxdale Bank

06f285de62c78e5bdecb0d81a8216447.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

No DGR news to report, but last week some real steam came to Dorking with the passage of the Cathedrals Express en route to Bath. It collected passengers at Dorking Deepdene station and then paused to take water at Dorking West station. Although a small town, Dorking still boasts three stations.

There's a 5 minute video here:

and this photo:

baca17ebc7285fa113a520a325eaef95.jpg

Hi Andrew, those video links are pure awesome, like both of the gee the maroon coaches look real good I a long rake of them, after 4 sleepers and another dinner will have to be the one with the lights on the tables, I have11 of them so far.

Having some issues fitting the new 5pole motor from the old 3pole, looks like it will only fit in one way into tender chassis, the second water tender of the Flying Scot is powered and it is a 5pole motor, going over to a friends house that is an expert on modelling British railways, will take a video of his layout.

Wonder if the diesel loco at the end of the train was helping, if not the Merchant Navy class must have some grunt to be flying at that speed pulling 15 coaches, awesome , like the diesel, what class is it.

Over here they some times put on a diesel loco on steam heritage trips mainly for shunting duties at stations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFjJF9AZlJU

Merry Christmas

• 2 weeks later...

...and when it does, it tends to bring new rolling stock to the DGR.

But first, thanks to Tony for his Christmas greeting and the link (above) to that jolly Christmas video. Hope you had a good time over there in Australia, Tony.

Meanwhile, Dorking is having its coldest spell this year, and although today was clear and sunny, in the shade the white frost never disappeared. Undaunted (at first), I decided it was a good day for running trains to exercise a few coaches that had been acquired in the run-up to Christmas and at the festive season itself. Too cold to bother with video, but here are some photos.

First is a train of almost all new stock, hauled across Foxdale Bank by my ubiquitous BR standard Class 4 loco. It's pulling a nice Dapol suburban brake coach, two Gresley coaches in blood and custard livery and a maroon BG passenger brake van.

834c07f9d844c6d062a7ab08ef185eee.jpg

Here is a close-up of the BG and a Gresley, hauled in reverse by a Standard 2-6-4 tank loco.

[image]3320[/image]

Close-up of the suburban coach heading into winter sunshine.

[image]3321[/image]

Engines simmer while crews await their next turn at Throstlebeck Sidings.

667efe818c96637991bb0412deb41164.jpg

The Class 4 heads off into frosty sunshine with a BG as the lead vehicle.

[image]3323[/image]

The afternoon wore on and things were getting distinctly chilly. The cold weather had noticeably increased the gaps at some rail joints and my summer attempts to replace overscale jumper wires with lighter gauge, closer-to-scale bonds had in some cases failed because insufficient slack had been allowed. Time to pack up and retire for tea.

415ca440e56c3ec62411bd1593ebf014.jpg

Some lovely photos and videos there Andrew. I've never had bonds break like that. If mine go they just drop off on one side in the winter. But then again we don't have the really low temperatures that garden railways experience in the UK.

It surprised me in that Mark Found DVD on the garden railways with his mentor David Pratt saying that bonding the railways outside was not easy in cool weather. But you don't have to heat up the entire length of rail just a small spot where you're going to attach the bonds.

Roy.

Andrew said:

...The cold weather had noticeably increased the gaps at some rail joints and my summer attempts to replace overscale jumper wires with lighter gauge, closer-to-scale bonds had in some cases failed because insufficient slack had been allowed...

That's a great accompanying photo to illustrate the importance of adding some slack when soldering bonds across rail joins. I like the way that IanR has added his rail bonds so that they come outwards away from the rail and make a loop around the ends of the sleepers which in my opinion also helps to conceal them.

Another nice selection of photos that illustrate the benefits of running outdoors and always makes me want to be able to go out and get something running myself.

We kicked off the new year with a running session three days ago instigated by another Southern visitor David H. who brought with him several nice locos (one of which he was persuaded to part with). So the Southern Region atmosphere is getting quite established on the DGR, and the King Arthur purchased from David came with three more Maunsell coaches to swell the fleet of green rolling stock. Who says you can't run trains in January?

There is a 2 minute video here:

and some photos below.

Plenty of activity in evidence, with Clan Line (by Wrenn) partly obscured and a couple of King Arthur class locos (and an M7 behind the bogie tender)

a440d0c102a4ea93faaf1981ec4ffa91.jpg

Here is the N Class flanked by a couple of King Arthur class locos all simmering at Northdown Sidings

ba6c63c0ba6926108af5ae0adc384e4b.jpg

Finally an N Class pilots a King Arthur running off Sycamore Curve with an express train

62c4d7142dbcf4f4ad07b17dacf12b4f.jpg

I must get David over again for some better photos...

Nice photos and a smashing video. Does it ever rain, blow a gale, snow or freeze on the Dorking Garden Railway? There's no way that video looks like it was filmed in January! Oh for a warm, bright, spring or summer's day.....

• 3 weeks later...

This winter I've been hoping to get some wintry snow scene photos as part of the material for my DGR pictorial calendar project (targetted for next Christmas!). Getting any snow for model railway photos in southern England is a hit and miss affair. Getting the right kind is even harder. This morning's light sprinkling was already turning towards slush when I got out and posed a train next to the holly bush. Trying to clear a little snow off the track didn't work as it just shifted the entire slushy mass, so I had to tamp down the snow between the rails by hand/finger in order to get a depth on which a train could be posed. The results look a trifle gloomy, but that at least is fairly authentic. Here then are two pictures of the Jubilee bringing home its train of (Christmas) parcels, complete with holly background.

5fe4835c583f0efbde1811a1362c2b04.jpg

e2ea3ea216ce74e9db9b489d22190479.jpg

Five days ago I was posting snowscenes but today was gloriously sunny. With a heritage Hornby Dublo engine newly back from overhaul (by Scalespeed) and some Flushglaze windows added, the sunshine was ideal for some prolonged running-in. The Ring Field motor pulls well although it doesn't want to crawl at a realistically slow pace which is a bit disappointing for a freight loco. The other aspect of the Ring Field motor is that it fills the cab with highly visible bits of electrics, as this first photo shows with a train running off Sycamore Curve towards Foxdale Bank:

[image]3348[/image]

But as this shot on Foxdale Bank shows, if you get the camera angle and lighting alright, it doesn't look too bad:

f400fbe64d6c967504477e6f6e650fe2.jpg

This picture shows the 8F with its freight running past a paused inter-regional passenger train at Throstlebeck:

65c454c6d7949420c4820047e4e85aec.jpg

The Stanier loco is also useful for those parcels trains which are frequently seen on the DGR. Here, it runs onto Bamboo Straight:

d71f04f2dba782fbbc3b5e568f35f567.jpg

And with all that low-angle winter sunshine, what else but a glint shot, here on Foxdale Bank:

3723b57a8a040787483ab398cf91d5d7.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got round to editing a couple of days worth of video which was shot on the DGR back in Spring of last year, just managing to get organised before the anniversary arrived. The 6-minute video is called A 1950s Miscellany on the Dorking Garden Railway and features some engines that must be all too familiar to seasoned viewers. I must get on with the video backlog and show some other engines such as the King Arthur and the Stanier 8F. A fair bit of material all waiting to be edited into watchable form. The new video should arrive here (Uploading to YouTube seems to take a ridiculous amount of time for such a short item):