Eurocup

traingeekboy

So is anyone watching it? I discovered that they are feeding the group matches on the internet free. I've been watching them at 9:45 am and 12:45 pm each day.

My entirely unprofessional diagnosis:

Spain is awesome as expected. France is reliable. Italy is ok till they score then they go on their heels for a breather and don't seal the deal. Britain is very surprising even without the wonder boy.

I have a soft spot for teams like Croatia that are playing some really solid games.

• 2 weeks later...

Funny over here the games called 'Soccer'. Football is either rugby league or rugby union. Although I agree with Ian a bunch of over paid kids who think they can do anything and get away with it. It's the same with rugby league here. I know a local girl who was asked to dance with some bloke she didn't fancy and that bloke turned out to be a local rugby league star. She was told by him, 'no one refuses me'. One of his brothers had a car accident which killed him as he was drunk and speeding and they made him out to be a hero. In the accident he wiped out a young family in a Honda Accord killing them all and the media passed them over as if they were nothing. Seeing the coverage on the news mad me sick. David Beckham was celebrated simply because he could kick a ball very well. So what. His wife was a poor singer in the Spice Girls but since becoming Mrs Beckham she's now a celebrity albeit looking like a stick insect. :x

Roy.

Yeah I hate sports stars too. But being a soccer fan here is like being into some obscure sport no one follows.

Over here we had Tebow as the local sports hero. Voters here will always vote down extra money for things like education, but when it came to buying our professional privately owned soccer team a stadium everyone voted for it. They didn't need a new stadium. the one they built seats less people. And they renamed it with a corporate name since they sold the name. big money sports have become Orwellian, in that the company they named our stadium after went bankrupt. But of course someone else paid for it to be re-named and now they've relabeled everything. i wish I had the money to rename it "We've always been at war with oceana stadium".

So not to rub it in too much, but as you all know I am an italian and I have to say i'm glad they got past england, although it took some work. I have my fantasies about italy beating germany, but the stats indicate germany will probably wipe the field with italy.