Dismantled - Indoor layout

mick

Dave said:

Looking good with the platform edge in textured plasticard, Mick :)

Will you be leaving it in this colour, or painting it?

Already painted it Dave. It's more or less the same colour as before funnily enough but it's taken away that plastic appearance. I'm not sure how far to go with the painting - was going to pick out a few random bricks in different shades but they're so small I can barely see them. Likewise, was going to give it a wash with some 'mortar' colour that would stay in the mortar lines and could be wiped from the brick faces but would it be worth it? I'll try a couple of practice bits first. Looking forward to getting the platforms completed so that I can then concentrate on doing some ballasting - might have to get the new JJA's out for that!

Haven't even attempted taking any photos today as it's been so depressingly dull. Might be better taking the layout outdoors to get a few pics if it dries up a bit.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Apologies for not noticing it was painted! :oops: But that was the reason I asked really as it looks quite good as it is :)

Doing things like washing the morter over and picking out random bricks in a slightly different shade is the kind of thing that makes a model stand out as more realistic and better defined, but its not always necessary even on really good models in places that they eye isn't going to be drawn to; and I think that the brick sidewalls of platforms are not something you're going to look at very much once you've built up more of the platform.

No apology needed Dave. The platforms hadn't been painted when I took the photo's but had been by the time I replied to your post. I've since given it a wash of 'mortar' colour but I'm not yet sure I like it. No photos as it's all packed away again but it'll be back out in a few days.

Having taken delivery of a few more sheets of plastikard I've now managed to make a bit more progress with the platforms. I'm sort of getting used to the mortar wash I applied last week so I won't be doing a lot more with the brick facings. I've applied some embossed paving stones along the platform edge but I didn't feel they had sufficient depth to look realistic and so I have added a 0.5mm plastikard strip beneath to give the overhang a bit more bulk. Between the edging stones I have glued cut strips of wet and dry paper which I thought would do the job and so I'll see what it looks like tomorrow once it's all dried. If I decide to keep it then it will want toning down a bit as it resembles newly laid tarmac at the moment.

The photos are again not quite up to scratch but they do show a little of what I've been doing.

IMG_4599.jpg

IMG_4609.jpg

Dave said:

I like that, Mick! :) Its looking really very good!

It's not perfect by any means Dave but it is starting to look more like the beginnings of a railway station now. The wooden platforms have really been transformed with the addition of the plastikard.

I still can't get any decent photos indoors and there's obviously no immediate possibility of taking any boards outdoors with all this snow but I'm now halfway through adding the plastikard cladding to the second platform, the first platform being almost completed apart from the area where the station building will be located. The platforms ARE too high which I could remedy by adding packing (cork etc) beneath the track but I'm not going to worry about it any more. When all is said and done, this is my first attempt at building a layout on boards and it continues to be a learning curve and one which I'm happy to endure. Unless something really does look ridiculous I'll live with any obvious errors for now.

IanR said:

...Try taking the photo from further away and then cropping it, I'm no expert in photography, it's just a suggestion and it has worked for me before.

It's not just the limited depth of field that bothers me it's the amount of available light indoors. It would be an improvement if I got the tripod out but I've just been after a few quick snaps to show some progress. I haven't spent any time trying to get better results as there isn't enough space indoors to move things around once the boards have been erected. The living rooms simply isn't ideal but it's only a matter of feet through the patio door and out into the garden so when this heap of snow does eventually clear I'll take the boards outside for better photos. I've looked at some floor standing 'daylight' lamps but I'm not sure I can justify the expense even though they are a useful aid for working by and not simply for photographic lighting.

When I'm taking photos of my toy soldiers and my trains and I need extra light I use two clip on light sockets with low energy daylight bulbs. Very easy to setup and take away again, wherever I am.

Clips and bulbs like these:

http://www.ryness.co.uk/products/3607-mini-clip-on-light.aspx

http://www.ryness.co.uk/products/4376-15w-bc-daylight-energy-saving-bulb.aspx

Lots of extra light for less cost than a Maunsell Corridor Coach ;)

Dave said:

When I'm taking photos of my toy soldiers and my trains and I need extra light I use two clip on light sockets with low energy daylight bulbs. Very easy to setup and take away again, wherever I am.

Clips and bulbs like these:

http://www.ryness.co.uk/products/3607-mini-clip-on-light.aspx

http://www.ryness.co.uk/products/4376-15w-bc-daylight-energy-saving-bulb.aspx

Lots of extra light for less cost than a Maunsell Corridor Coach ;)

They look very handy Dave and would work out much cheaper than the lamps I have been looking at already. One thing I've yet to work understand with these energy saving bulbs; the lamp holder you referenced states a maximum bulb of 60 watts - does this mean I can use a 30w energy saving bulb (which is approx equivalent to a 150w standard light bulb according to the sites FAQ) or am I limited to an 11w energy saver (equivalent to a 60w standard bulb) :?:

The rating is the amount of power the clip can handle. The clip can't tell the difference between an older style bulb and a new style energy saving bulb, if they're drawing down the same amount of power, all that matters is the power flow. Its the Watts of the bulb that is important, the tungsten equivalence rating doesn't matter for the power, its just an indication of the amount of light that the bulb will give you, compared to an old-style tungsten bulb.

I've been using these 30w bulbs in these clips without any problems, anyway :) Hope that helps, Mick.

• 2 months later...

I'd almost forgotten that I'd made a start on the construction of an indoor layout but after cleaning out part of the garage yesterday I happened to stumble across it again! The garage really was that bad (where on earth does all the junk come from?) and the fact that I didn't have anywhere to keep erecting the layout in order to work on it (unless I was at home on my own ;) ) has meant that it's remained untouched for a couple of months. Anyway, the good news is that after a trip to the local recycling point I've managed to dispose of some unwanted clutter and just about cleared sufficient space to be able to erect the layout so that I can continue to work on it. There's more clutter awaiting transporting to the tip so things should be underway again soon. If I remember correctly I was part way through covering the platform surfaces......

• 2 weeks later...

2 days ago I managed to erect the layout inside the partly cleared garage but instead of doing any work on the platforms I spent the entire session playing trains. I've been trying different speakers in my now sound-fitted Bachmann G2 and ended up having to make some small structural alterations to the tender in order to get the speakers to fit and to allow the sound to escape better. You'd think that the space beneath the coal load would be quite adequate for a sound chip and speaker but the chip and its socket are of such awkward dimensions that adding a speaker alongside is quite a trial. I have now managed to install a bass enhanced speaker and it gives a deeper exhaust beat.

I wasn't able to leave the layout assembled longer than the day because until some more clutter is removed from the garage to allow the layout to be moved further along towards the main door, it was very much in the way and wouldn't allow us to open the freezer door sufficiently to get anything out for tea :roll:

Since then I've been going through my list of locos which tends to hover round about the 100 mark. I let some locos go and it dips below the mark and then I buy some more to up it once again. I know I've got far too many but I really don't like disposing of them. Anyway, rather than disposing of ones that aren't really appropriate I've been looking at renumbering/renaming some in order to make them fit and I think I've found a use for one of my Hornby Royal Scots by transforming it into the preserved 46115 'Scots Guardsman'. Looks like it just needs numbers and plates as it's already the right colour.

I don't seem to be getting anywhere with the indoor layout as there always seems to be something else to do. From the outset it was my intention to build my own station building but the opportunity to be able to do that is remote at the moment and so I have decided instead to purchase a small station building.

I've never really been enthusiastic about pre-built RTR model buildings and I'm not a big fan of those made from pre cut card pieces. I've thought about the downloadable Scalescenes models but it looks a lot of work for what is in all essence another card building. Anyway, a few months ago I noticed a small station building released under the Bachmann Scencraft range. It was one of the popular cast resin types, similar to Hornby's Skaledale items and I was immediately attracted to it as it not only looked very nice but was also a reasonable price. However, at the time I still had designs on building my own station and so I left it at that until 2 or 3 days ago when I had second thoughts. Alas, by the time I had decided to order one it seemed that the Bachmann building had sold out everywhere and was no longer available but after some searching online I finally managed to locate one and it duly arrived this afternoon.

I'm not sure which prototype station building it depicts but it is a very nice model and I'm hoping it will look okay on my platforms. There's only one way to find out I guess....

mick1.jpg

mick2.jpg

• 1 month later...

Once again the indoor set up has been neglected but it's not forgotten about and should be making another appearance soon. The removal of more garage clutter means its looking promising that the layout can now be set up with greater ease - even if it does mean it must be dismantled at the end of the day.

• 2 months later...

I've been spending so much time tending the vegetable patch and setting up the weather station that I've barely touched anything railway related for a number of weeks. However, with the house to myself for a while, I got the urge today to set up the indoor layout in order to test a new Bachmann class 37 that I recently obtained.

mick3.jpg

This is product number 32-782 depicting D6081 in BR Green livery with split headcode boxes and bufferbeam skirt and it's photographed straight from the box without any added pipework or snowploughs. I've got a fair number of class 37s now but this is my first one in BR Green having missed out on the earlier versions produced by Bachmann and being unwilling to pay inflated eBay prices. I'm glad I waited - it's very nice indeed! Looks like I'll be needing yet another class 37 sound chip.

• 3 months later...

Well I suppose this is a late reply, but I was poking around and came across this shot and was impressed. What an ugly/beautiful, ulgyful???? , beast. Very pretty. I don't know if I could bring myself to put weathering aside from chalks on a model like that.

The structure in the previous photos is nice too. It would look nicer on the outdoor layout ;)

Weathering a new loco isn't a decision to take lightly but done well it can make an amazing difference to its outward appearance. I'm not sure I have the necessary ability just yet but I'd certainly not be afraid to give it a go after trying out a few techniques on the 16t mineral wagons. I think the important things is to take it slowly and gradually build up the effect in a number of stages rather than slapping a heavy coat of paint or powders on in one go.

Unless freshly outshopped for a naming ceremony, I witnessed very few diesel locos in anything like pristine condition when I worked on the railway. Most of the locos were in a filthy condition and you would be lucky if the driving cab windows had been cleaned let alone any of the bodywork. A newly installed washing plant on the depot for the locos worked only occasionally and with limited success. In winter it would freeze and the rest of the time there would be regular environmental complaints with waste water seeping into the water table.

A diesel loco needs to be weathered to bring out the best in it and once I'm up and running again I will be giving it a go with some of the ones I have.

I have that issue as well. I have weathered older crappy models, but am afraid to get my hands on other stuff. I think I posted the missing links tank model weathering site. I want to try his techniques on some models soon.

I do agree, diesels look best when hauling a thick load of oil mixed with dirt. When I was a kid in the 70's I lived next to a Norfolk and Western branch line. All their diesels where painted black, but it looked like someone had painted them dirt and grime color. They were filthy and I just loved them. N&W used a lot of Alcos, so there would be a lot of smoke too. People often say things like, "If it doesn't look like it's on fire, it's not an Alco". Did 37's produce a fair amount of exhaust smoke as well?