The Uckfield Line

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

right, got alot of work done these last couple of days. got the first phase all double track now, still waiting for the glue to arrive for phase 2 which was been delayed for some reason or another.

should be able to get the last few sections of track down that i can do down tomorrow. i will be stuck for a while so will be able to solder all the jumpers. the phase 1 is complete (track wise).

DSC08363.JPG

DSC08368.JPG

DSC08369.JPG

Looking great dude. I couldn't help but notice the southern baggage car. I had had a resistance to southern green, but lately it's started to catch my fancy, after all if I'm going to represent a overview of British railroading i have to have a few pieces by all the big four.

would love to see a wide shot of your layout now that it's coming along farther.

yes, it's a lovely model. it's ex SR so if you wanted one to represent the Southern region you would have to buy the SR model as this is BR green and has a grey roof and the Southern has lighter paint and white roof.

if this weather holds, i will get the siding done tomorrow and finish the jumpers then i have to wait a week or so for the glue to start phase 2. also the bridge will have to be built soon. lots to do.

i will do a set of photos going round the layout when phase 2 is under construction.

Nice work! I really like Southern stuff - much nicer than all that twee GWR rubbish ( :o:shock: I'd better be careful - I am currently within site of the GWR works at Swindon - I may get struck down by a bolt of thunder :!::lol: )

Cant wait to see more development.

Ahaha, agreed. I don't like The GWR stuff, it just looks so plain and boring compaired to southern and midlands locos.

( I do own a few GW locos though! 2 panniers, a prarrie tank and a castle.)

I have been up to the model club tonight and run some locos so I will upload a few photos when I get round to it.

I have also got the last bit of the track done in the garden so phase one, is COMPLETE! Photos to be added.

• 2 weeks later...

Right, I have good and bad news. Will start off with the bad news. I have had the Flu the last week and a bit, so there has been no work done in the garden. The good news is, before I got ill, the glue arrived and I layed a few yards of track to get me started. As I am almost fully recovered, I may have to force myself to spend a day laying track to catch up.

SouthernTom said:

...I have had the Flu the last week and a bit....

Hmmmh, same here with us. Had it for a couple of weeks and it's taken some shifting but fortunately we're now on the mend.

The layout's looking good and I'm pleased to see that despite the weather and the flu, you've managed to get something done.

I'm sitting on the fence a bit because whilst my main interest in the steam era would undoubtedly be the locos of the LNER, I do like the LMS, GWR and Southern region styles too. A layout based on a specific region or with a predominance of a certain region locos works exceptionally well as you've demonstrated here.

Yes, it was awful not really being able to what you want/ need to do. I had never had it before so I didn't know what it was untill I went to the doctors.I did get some bridge building done so that was the most I did.

I see what you mean, I have no objection to locos from other regions as I do own locos from LNER and the GW, but locos from the south and kent area really catch my eye and just look the part in any scene. Heavy passenger and freight locos from the south just look the part in the garden with long length trains (scale length).

• 4 weeks later...

Wow :!: Tom, what great progress you have made and another garden railway taking shape that is looking like its going to be a stunner :!:

I would be very interested to pay you a visit, if you would be kind enough to PM me with details of where and when, I would love to try and make it. It would be great if more of us could meet up like that....

i have to say i am impresed with how much i have got done too. i am trying to get all of the track for the U shape main section down so that when the running week comes, i can gret trains running asap. i do hope that when its done, it will look good.

as for the day when i have fellow train bod's round for a running day it is a great way of meeting fellow garden railway enthusiasts. all be it there's very few of us spread all over the country. it would be great for us to meet at a few railways for a running day throughout the year. i thaught of this because thats what we do for the gauge 1, we go to other layouts throughout the summer. there is alot more members throughout the country though.

i am not sure of the exact date but it should be around the weekend 18th-19th of august. will let people know exactly when and where when i can finalise the date. this may be an off putting fact for many of you, i live in East Sussex, near Brighton. :/

• 2 weeks later...

so, not much has been done on the line the last few weeks as i have been working most days. i have missed most of the good weather ( for now ;) ) but i have got the old gauge 1 bridges out of the shed, there a bit dirty and still have the gauge 1 track on. i will have to use these bridges for now untill i build replacement's. some photos to follow...

DSC08690.JPG

DSC08691.JPG

DSC08689.JPG.9c3fc5166090b569caa5c1170b80a351.JPG

Those bridges are impressive Tom and at first I didn't realise they were Gauge One until I read the accompanying text. I can see the OO gauge track now - doesn't it look small in comparison? Are the bridges hand-built and if so, from what materials? You've certainly got a lovely backdrop for a model railway - it always looks so pleasant.

Thanks mick, they are very nice when i look at old pictures of the gauge 1 loco's going over them but i have now lifted on section of gauge 1 track and put 00 down. very much smaller. one day i will upload a photo of my gauge 1 4MT against my 00 4MT.

The bridges are 12mm ply with roofing felt on. and the girders are some sort of aliminium in the shape of an H on it's side if you look head on. they have been curved to get the curve of the bridge. it just has little bits of plasticard for capping on the top and rings of plasticard glued to it for rivets.

i never think that it is up to the standards of others. as i do not like gardening that much, my limit is trimming branches and mowing the lawns. if i had a new garden, i could start again, make it so the concrete blends into the garden like yours Mick. but i can only work with what i have really. the final stage of track laying will blend into the garden more i hope.

i will try and get some videos up as soon as i can.

Tom