The Uckfield Line

by all means go about getting one, it will only set you back £1995 haha. all the once i have seen have been built by George's method.

It's powered by methalated spirits. My dad had his scratch built 4F coal fired. he sold it a few years back from a rather tempting 4k. the sleepers are real timber. all cut from long strips, soaked in preservatives. there is a huge stack in the loft from when it was lifted from the garden. in gauge 1 i also have a, 3f, class 02, a half built schools class, half built k3, and a kit m7 to be built. the schools and k3 are both going to be coal fired.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good to see you back on the forum.

My summer has been much like yours. Work all week then feel wrecked on saturday. Become human by sunday. Start to do something on the layout but don't finish it. Back to work till the pattern repeats anew. :(

Wow nice loco. Thanks for the pics.

It is great to be back posting on the forum. i had been keeping up with all other threads on my phone at work when i wasn't busy :D

still no work done on the line but i did have an hour or so running session today so i have a few photos to upload. its a very time consuming process to upload photos. My laptop is in for repair so if i wish to upload them, i have to connect my Camera to my Playstation 3, copy the photos to my Blackberry then use some photo editing software on there to re size the photos, copy them back to the Playstation and then use that for my Browser to upload them to the forum. or take them staight from my BlackBerry, resize them and upload them that way. either way, it takes a long time!

PhotoEditor1344605795416.jpg

PhotoEditor1344605704916.jpg.926cf08413e9bfd33d3107629323f0a7.jpg

love that shot of the curve with the bridge. i don't care if the bridge is off scale either. Sara peeked over my shoulder when I was looking at the lower photo, "what pretty flower" I hadn't even noticed there were flowers in the pics yet. The greenery is one of the things that drew me to the garden railway crew.

I wouldn't worry too much about quality, it's good to see updates no matter what.

• 3 weeks later...

right, please excuse the lack of updates. been very busy at work, urgh. the last 14 days off work i have had 2 days of, and done 66 hours a week. and the days i have had off, one has been for a wedding, and the other for the girlfriends birthday. getting pretty tired of work at the moment :'( have been keeping up to date with other peoples threads when i get 5 minutes at work on my phone.

i have dug up a few photos from an array of media devices ready to resize and upload when i get my laptop back but still awaiting its return. it should about another week.

had a walk round the garden last night with a torch just to get my fix of the railway. had a feel of the points to see if the had grit in the blades, and came across one where the spring bit has rusted through! not to happy as it has been down 2 months max. its all bonded in and will require alot of work to replace the point. not to happy.

Tom

SouthernTom said:

..had a feel of the points to see if the had grit in the blades, and came across one where the spring bit has rusted through! not to happy as it has been down 2 months max. its all bonded in and will require alot of work to replace the point. not to happy...

One of the weak spots with outdoor points I'm afraid and as you've discovered, unless it's something you've planned for in advance then it's often a difficult task to get to them again later. Nothing lasts long outdoors without some form of regular maintenance and/or protection.

Again points are an issue and it's something as silly as a little spring. Surely we can come up with a solution, something that holds the point blades over when the points are set and does away with the need for the spring altogether? Or more simpler, could the spring possibly be made of something else that doesn't rust?

i'm sure between us something can be done. the thing that annoys me is that i baught 3 large radius right had points from the same shop at the same time and the other two are fine in the garden still. must had been a slip in quality control maybe. i do have a spare one but i will have to spend a while getting the other out first. it is in the middle of a set of 3 points so will be a challenge to release it. i do have a solution. its how we change points on the gauge 1 points. i will have to take a photo and upload it shortly. it will have to be made in minature to fuction perfectly though.

Tom

If you write to Peco (assuming you have Peco points) and send a SAE, they will send you spare springs and retainers. Its not that hard to do - it cant be - ive fixed one :o - I was just clumsy, and nearly broke the point permanently, putting it back in place :roll:

Tom,

I think we've all had this spring problem. I now put a dab of vaseline into the recess,and, although I have to accept that it attracts dust, it does seem to prolong the life. I also (and don't let Griff read this bit) trickled a minute drop of WD 40 as well. For the last nine months or so the points have worked fine.

Another solution (and I'm sure I've written about this before on the forum) would be to have an actual miniature point lever as in real life. In the early sixties, Wrenn trackwork/points etc made a replica of a point lever. It had a sort of staple wire attached to a pin hole in the sleeper holding the blade and physically "threw" the point with the action of the lever.You could adjust where you sited the lever to give a perfect tight connection. So simple, yet highly effective. Maybe some of our older modellers might remember them.

I doubt if any still exist, although I know I still have an odd scissors crossover from Wren sitting in some unopened box from way-back-when.