Top 10 Tips

chris

Could we put together a list of top tips for OO in the garden? When new-comers arrive here they tend to have the same questions as I had when I first started:

• What track should I use?
  • What points are suitable for outside?
  • DC or DCC?
  • How do I weather proof my baseboard?

and then there's the things you need to know, but haven't thought of, I'm thinking bonding ;)

What do you think the top tips are :?:

1. make a plan.

2. start building so you don't get stuck in planning mode.

3. Alter the plan as needed once building.

4. Take into account local weather, specifically moisture that will attack wood products.

5. Don't take it too seriously.

6. Try to have fun. Better yet, have fun doing this.

7. Run trains as soon as possible.

8. Use whatever track works best for you.

9. Be aware that you will have to rebuild parts of the layout, so consider not going too big.

10. Post lots of photos of your layout for us to enjoy.

Griff, I was thinking more specifically about taking on OO in the garden.

I found IanR's pictures of how to modify points for outdoors very useful and we've collectively come to the opinion that insufrog is preferred outside. So a tip would be use insufrog and then solder additional contacts like this...

file.php?id=162

That said, points 4. and 9. are the kind of tips I was after.

Insulfrog points are okay up to a point (bad pun intended) but the plastic eventually wears down so that you watch all the wheels dip and wobble as they go over the worn plastic area of the point in question, which eventually will lead to derailments especailly if shunting over the pints I am slowly replacing all my insulfrogs points with electrofrog points

Ian

• 1 month later...

Here's some of my tips:

1. Know what you want from a OO garden railway and then plan for that. Don't take someone elses garden railway and try to emulate it in your garden. No two gardens are the same so be your own boss and make up your own mind.

2. Build solidly as mother nature will and can do her worst. For OO build as if gauge 1 locos are running. Shoddy construction is out. If you do build that way you will spend more time fixing the railway than enjoying it. Don't listen to people who ONLY build and operate indoor model railways as the baseboard construction for outside is usually entirely different. Don't let the same people try to discourage you from building a OO line outside.

3. If using timber try to get the best you can afford and make sure it's not warped.

4. Timber outside needs painting even the pretreated timber.

5. Use Peco track work code 100 and your choice of either insulfrog or electrofrog points.

6. Take your time in laying your track to get it right the first time. All rail joints will need to be bonded. On garden railways you'll use a lot more track than on an indoor railway.

7. Power and control is up to you. The modern way is to go DCC but if you already have a large collection of DC only locos then you may want to stay with DC. Remember power transformers are not usually waterproof so if the heavens open whilst running trains turn the power off at the wall switch and IMMEDIATELY take transformers inside. Then rescue locos and then coaches and wagons.

8. Although forums are useful I often try to work out problems on my own as everybody has a unique set of circumstances on his or her railway. Still some problems are universal.

9. Maintenance should be carried out at regular intervals. DON'T let little problems become BIG ones through deferred maintenance.

10. Try to have fun and if you've taken notice of what I've already written then you will have fun with the least amount of problems.

11. You will find that the local hardware store will be visited by you more often than the model train shop. Some products on here are only available in the country the writer lives. So you'll have to find an equivalent in your part of the world.

12. If your wife or partner is against having a garden railway in any gauge. Then try to convince them how your outdoor railway will enhance their garden, and good luck.

Roy.

Edited by Guest

• 1 year later...