Zero 1

mhickers

I've changed the settings on my PowerCab so it displays the current draw.

Read your manual, change the setting and see what your 4 locos are pulling. That will give you a good idea of how many more you can add before you use up your 2 amps and need to consider the SB5 upgrade.

• 7 years later...

Old topic, but (somewhat) relevant to what I was going to post about.

Had Zero 1 (my very unexpected Xmas pressie when it was launched) and added to as my control system last time I ran a model railway (indoors).  Have quite an extensive collection of Z1, including accessory (point/signal) control modules.  Don't have that many locos (10) but all bar one are Z1 chipped.

Now I'm just in planning stage for my garden railway, but expect to be able to have quite long trackbed.  Realise this can't be answered with certainty but can I expect Z1 to be able to function outdoors (for a while at least).

I really don't know is the answer and I doubt anyone else will. Does it work indoors?

It has similarities to DCC in that full track voltage at all times and then signals are sent to the decoder on the loco to control. I actually think Zero 1 was a far better user interface than most DCC systems but that is another conversation.
The big problem with it at the time was the power and signal not reaching the locomotive. Most of the Hornby models just had one side on each bogie picking up  (Two wheels). Todays all wheel pick ups and traction tyre-less drive systems are much better placed for the job, especially outdoors.

11 hours ago, Clay Mills Junction said:

I really don't know is the answer and I doubt anyone else will. Does it work indoors?

It has similarities to DCC in that full track voltage at all times and then signals are sent to the decoder on the loco to control. I actually think Zero 1 was a far better user interface than most DCC systems but that is another conversation.
The big problem with it at the time was the power and signal not reaching the locomotive. Most of the Hornby models just had one side on each bogie picking up  (Two wheels). Todays all wheel pick ups and traction tyre-less drive systems are much better placed for the job, especially outdoors.

Thanks for the quick response.

The last time I used it, about 10 yrs ago, it was functioning fine in respect of running trains, on an indoor layout, though I didn't get round to getting points/signals wired up before the OH decided we were extending/reflowing our old house and the layout got dismantled/packed away.

I appreciate "proof of the pudding" will be getting this built and then seeing if it will actually work.  Seems from your reply that in theory at least no reason it can't control a garden railway.

I can't recall the specs, but think Z1 put a permanent 18v current through the tracks; I certainly remember getting a buzz when leaning on some live rails when I first used it all those years ago.