Wills Viaduct

chris

How ever much I try and shake off the idea of a viaduct on Amblethorpe...

So if I was going to build one out of the Wills kit what would I have to do to make it suitable for the garden. Will I need a specific type of glue, will paint plus varnish be good enough protection etc.

I may use up to three of these kits to make a 1.2m viaduct which scales up to 100m.

http://www.peco-uk.com/product.asp?strParents=3351,3352&CAT_ID=3353&P_ID=17974

If they are plastic kits (Looks like it to me. ) i might be tempted to avoid traditional methods and go for something like epoxy or some other stronger glue. The solvent based glues make good bonds but they can be brittle if flexed at the joints. Something like an epoxy that is strong but also flexible may last longer outdoors. After that paint and seal for UV protection and you should be all good to go.

I've got plastic kits outdoors, e.g. the girder bridges and a few dapol buildings. They're assembled in the usual way with Liquid Poly.

I paint mine and then coat them with DecoArt DuraClear matt varnish, it's weatherproof and is available in small bottles from HobbyCraft stores amongst others.

http://direct.hobbycraft.co.uk/products-DecoArt-Americana-DuraClear-Matte-Varnish-59ml-_282243.htm

• 2 weeks later...
SouthernTom said:

aha, someone who is in the same boat as me. i have to span a gap, 35" (89cm) and i have no idea how i am going to do it. it has to be removeable as it bridges a set of steps. any ideas on bridge kits i could use? much appreciated, tom.

I too 'SouthernTom' are in the same boat as you as I have a sort of 'Right of Way' between Springbridge Station and Garden Shed Bank where at the moment I have an immoveable board but wish to have a bridge. I've been thinking of using the Airfix Girder Bridge but with a 15mm ply base as with it needing to be removeable it must be fairly light but strong enough to stand up to constant handling. Separate free standing piers underneath would have to be made from PVC rectangular water downpipes with a Will's or Slater's stone embossed sheet glued on and the whole structure standing on a strip of smooth concrete.

Roy.

see, my 00 gauge railway is on a gauge 1 railway track bed. all the gauge 1 track has beem lifted as it had wooden sleepers which had to be lifted and re-creosoted every couple of years which was to much had work for only a few running sessions a year. i decided 00 would much more managable. the problem with the bridge is that i cant re-use the gauge 1 bridge as it is huge and stands out with 00 models going over it. i will make another but i have tried looking for resin kits but none will do the job as it will be slightly curved and has to be removable. i dont want to put supports on the bottom as it will be inpractical on un-even steps. open to any suggestions. HELP. :?

I paint mine and then coat them with DecoArt DuraClear matt varnish, it's weatherproof and is available in small bottles from HobbyCraft stores amongst others.

Have you or anyone else ever used this on Skaledale buildings? Am looking for a suitable exterior varnish and this might be the one.

Have you or anyone else ever used this on Skaledale buildings? Am looking for a suitable exterior varnish and this might be the one.

Yes, I have a few Skaledale buildings and I coat them with Duraclear. Make sure that you stir and shake it well before use.

Ian.

• 4 weeks later...

I've decided to go for it and enough kits have been purchased to build 8 arches and 7 legs. Not only have they been purchased, they've been build, and are half painted.

I popped it out in the sun yesterday while I had the camera out.

Everything is primed, four legs have been dry brushed.

The deck is in two sections of four arches and isn't glued to any of the legs yet.

e411c5993ff0dddaccd37f642b96a7fb.jpg

I think I'll pick up another Arch/Leg pack and kit-bash some abutments for the ends.