Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Roy, totally agree with you, my priority is just to get up and running and have my trains going round the garden.

There's always a spot reserved for you here Bill so good to see you back. I thought being 'retired' would give me more time to do the things I wanted to do but I've found that I look back at jus

Hi Bill good to see you back that is the problem here with what kind of timber you use the heat and humidity  plays havoc and with marine ply being twice the price and being on a budget I just went fo

Posted Images

  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

It's that time of year again when I'm thinking of what to do next on the layout. Is there anyone on the forum using a mechanical system to operate points outdoors as opposed to the usual electrical methods? I read somewhere that it's possible to use cycle cables to operate the points, just wonered if anyone has ever used this method? :?:

Link to post
Share on other sites
billdavidson said:

It's that time of year again when I'm thinking of what to do next on the layout. Is there anyone on the forum using a mechanical system to operate points outdoors as opposed to the usual electrical methods? I read somewhere that it's possible to use cycle cables to operate the points, just wondered if anyone has ever used this method? :?:

Hi Bill,

I've used cycle cable on a crossover on the K&WR. Works a treat.

You can buy long lengths on eBay. Search for Bowden Cable.

Ian R

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have seen similar done with two old hypodermic syringes and a suitable piece of plastic tube. Movement of the "Control" syringe will pneumatically move the syringe at the other end giving movement for the points. The tube could be filled with water for the same effect hydraulically, but an antifreeze solution would be better for outside use. You would need syringes with removable needles such as Vets use.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

Good to see you back with progress to report Bill. The platforms are coming along nicely and they'll add to your operational interests. Have you used wood as the base for the platforms? - I can't be sure from the photos.

Have you had any running sessions this year? and how's everything standing up to the North East weather?

Link to post
Share on other sites
mick said:

Good to see you back with progress to report Bill. The platforms are coming along nicely and they'll add to your operational interests. Have you used wood as the base for the platforms? - I can't be sure from the photos.

Have you had any running sessions this year? and how's everything standing up to the North East weather?

Hi Mick, yes I've used wood for the platform bases which have now had a coat of exterior varnish, they'll then be topped with plywood and painted. still not had the trains running this year yet, have some track work to sort out first, where I was getting de-railments last year, due to gaps too big between some of my flexi track. Weather wise everything has mostly held up well. Some slight water damage to the plywood base mainly between the joins but will be easily sorted. At the moment it's getting the time and weather to work outside, usually when the weather is good I'm at work and when I'm off it's raining....sods law or what? :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Firstly, my apologies Bill. For some reason I had it in my mind that you were from the North-East which is why I mentioned the weather in that area in my previous post. I've just noticed your 'location' and realise that you're much further north than I first thought.

billdavidson said:

...still not had the trains running this year yet, have some track work to sort out first, where I was getting de-railments last year, due to gaps too big between some of my flexi track...

How big are the offending gaps Bill? I find that if you're careful you can push the lengths of rail along the sleepers providing the sleepers are pinned securely. I've used the flat blade of a screwdriver inserted at the rail joins to gently move a rail one way or the other to even up any gaps that have become too large. You might need to gently tap the screwdriver in order to get some movement but it all depends on how big the gaps are to start with as to whether this would work for you.

And don't spend too much time working - take a few days off.

Link to post
Share on other sites
traingeekboy said:

Good to see you back. And I;m sure you'll get that little track issue sorted out. On my lift bridge section I had some pretty large gaps, but curves are where I expect you had your problems.

got it in one Mick....lol ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...

Well, all track issues are now sorted. Had to replace a couple of lengths of shorter track with some lengths of flexi track. Glad to say trains have been running again. The new platforms took a bit of work shaving down the edges where the carriages were catching and derailing. That's what I get for laying the track first and building the platforms around them. Managed to get them painted up today, so progress is being made again albeit slowly.

New Platforms 001.JPG

New Platforms 002.JPG

New Platforms 003.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites
billdavidson said:

...The new platforms took a bit of work shaving down the edges where the carriages were catching and derailing. That's what I get for laying the track first and building the platforms around them....

Same here Bill - that's just what I did but fortunately I don't seem to have any problems with stock catching the edges of my platforms. To be honest I never even gave building the platforms first any consideration whatsoever - I just jump straight in and do things without thinking anything through. I could probably save myself an awful lot of work and frustration if I just sat down and thought about it first.

Your platforms look great by the way!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...