Whinny Hill

Thanks for the comments lads and well spotted Mick, will have to get some weed killer.. :lol: Managed to get some track laid today but even with two jumpers on was frozen stiff. So decided to come back indoors and solder up some link wires to the points I'm going to use, weather permitting.

Something of note about your layout. It seems that your baseboards are level, but perhaps they should have the smallest amount of tilt to remove the pools of water. I have a spot where I had to drill holes thorugh my baseboards because the snow and water was building up there.

More great work there Bill - you've certainly cracked on.

It seems we're having better weather than you at the moment judging by the rain(?) on your baseboards - unless of course that was sweat dripping from your brow! I think that circular return loop looks excellent and I'm still undecided as to how you've actually made it. Have you cut a circular shape out of a whole sheet of wood or is the outer section separate pieces? If it's the former, what have you done with the large circle? :)

Oh and would you recommend that weedkiller you've used?

Really looking forward to seeing the trains running now, have you been busy building up a stock?

mick said:

More great work there Bill - you've certainly cracked on.

It seems we're having better weather than you at the moment judging by the rain(?) on your baseboards - unless of course that was sweat dripping from your brow! I think that circular return loop looks excellent and I'm still undecided as to how you've actually made it. Have you cut a circular shape out of a whole sheet of wood or is the outer section separate pieces? If it's the former, what have you done with the large circle? :)

Oh and would you recommend that weedkiller you've used?

Really looking forward to seeing the trains running now, have you been busy building up a stock?

It was a single piece of ply that the lads at work put aside for me, so the middle section was cut out with my jig saw and discarded. The current plan is to put a planter in the middle with a tunnel section leading up to it. However my plans seem to evolve as I progress with the layout and often tend to change as I go on.

traingeekboy is probably right about having a very slight tilt to the layout to get rid of the surface water that does seem to gather especially between the tracks after a rain shower. I am planning to ballast the tracks at some stage which I hope will help with the drainage problem, failing that, maybe I will have to put in some drain holes.

As for the weed killer that's a job still to be done... :lol:

My train stock has increased over the winter months and was planning on having more steam locos, but for some reason have ended up with more diesel stock, so once again have ended up scratching my head as to where I'm heading. :?

Oh, none of us would have ANY experience with not knowing where we're going. HA HA I had much different plans for my layout as well, but it just tells what it wants. Same goes for stock, there is no rational explanation.

We might need to see some photos of this stock art some point.

billdavidson said:

....However my plans seem to evolve as I progress with the layout and often tend to change as I go on....

That's the way to go Bill - it's the method I use too. Much more fun than following a specific plan.

That method works for me too Bill. Just a thought (which you have probably already had!), if you do have to resort to drilling drainage holes through the boards don't forget to seal the bare wood within the hole so water does not penetrate & cause any de-lamination or 'heave' in time. Plastic tubing smeared around the top with silicone is pretty effective.

You are obviously a handy Carpenter so my apologies (if necessary) but these little things can easily be overlooked...... And my how I know from my own 'impetuous' progress.

I've put a few drainage holes in my boards. I use 10mm aluminium tube hammered into a 10mm hole, it's a good tight fit. I cut the tube to about 30mm long at a 45º angle on the bottom, this encourages a clean drip out of the bottom. Que low quality picture :oops:

CIMG4474.JPG

CIMG4476.JPG

I've just gone though this thread looking for a track plan, which in didn't find, but careful study of the photos has shown me that I was wrong about Whinny Hill. I was sure that you had a reversing loop, but as you know, you don't.

All the same, I'm still blaming you for giving me the idea of puting a wye on Amblethorpe, which kept me awake for an hour or two last night as I tried to plan it out in my head. More on this on my thread.

Sorry about that Chris, I did originally plan to build a reverse loop but as mentioned earlier my plans seem to change with progression. The other factor was in keeping the track plan as simple as possible to avoid any pit falls in the early stages. If it's any consolation I've had many sleepless nights trying to work out how to do all this...lol

Managed to get all the link wires on the new extension soldered up yesterday. Aching all over today with crouching down so much but happy to say the trains have been running again. Only one slight problem, an oversized gap between rail sections on my return loop is causing de-railments at speed but it will be easily rectified. Have been running in my new DMU set this morning but the sky looks like rain so have called a halt for today.

• 1 month later...