Whinny Hill

You may be the first person on here who soldered his track before he laid his first peice. At least the weather has turned up one good thing.

I've done nothing outside for a month. I've been developing my painting skills.

traingeekboy said:

Fantastic! are you running yet? That's the best part of it. :)

Not yet traingeekboy, went outside after work tonight to piece some track sections together but have had to come in as the wind chill is going right through me, roll on the summer. I'm dying to get it up and running, just the outer circle to complete then connect up the power. If the weather is reasonable this weekend I just might get it going. Fingers crossed! ;)

chris said:

You may be the first person on here who soldered his track before he laid his first peice. At least the weather has turned up one good thing.

I've done nothing outside for a month. I've been developing my painting skills.

Aye, this weather is just unbelievable for this time of year Chris, have been doing more soldering today and hope to get out tomorrow, would probably have been finished by now if we had some decent weather ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I can now announce that Whinny hill is up and running. The power was connected today and I have successfully run all of my locomotives around the circuit before rain stopped play. As soon as we get some decent weather I'll get some photographs for the forum to see. Now I'll need to work out how to improve what I have. :D:D:D

Those first trains are real morale boosters. When I started to redo my boards I'd only got the first 8 done when I began running trains again. Not a very long run but it enabled me to see if it was all worth it and whether I should keep pressing on. It was worth it and 100 times better than the old railway especially with my canted curves. With only a little bit (in comparison to what I've already rebuilt) to do I can't wait to have a full circuit once again.

I look forward to seeing some more pics and possibly some video as Whinny Hill develops.

Roy.

Looks good Bill, thanks for posting the photos. Excellent work.

Nice to see that you got some sunshine, haven't had any here in West Yorkshire for a while although we are promised that temperatures are going to rise midweek!

Ian R

Here is some pictures of the view from my house, looking over the river forth. There is a bit of a haze over the water today otherwise you might have been able to see Edinburgh on the far shore. If I get time I'll walk down to the forth bridge and take some photos of that later on.

The firth of Forth 001.JPG

The firth of Forth 002.JPG

The firth of Forth 003.JPG

The firth of Forth 004.JPG

The firth of Forth 005.JPG

Pretty nice scenery. Love all the green and open water. Drool.

I've seen pictures of the forth bridge, in fact I think there was a guy on model rail forum who built a scaled down version for his layout.

Must be pretty cool to live by the sea. My grandparents were in Chicago, as a kid I would go up there and spend time on Lake Michigan. My mother was Italian so I spent part of my childhood in italy. One is never too far from the sea in Italy. Often it's just a train ride away. :)

Thanks for the pics, I really appreciate that.

• 1 month later...

Beautiful place to live Bill. Lovely scenery - you're very fortunate.

Was the weather kind to you in the North East the other day? Pam was watching the racing from Newcastle when they lost all contact with the course due to the electrical storms and torrential rain and then we saw it all on the news - unbelievable scenes.

Hope that your layout hasn't been affected especially now that you've managed to get something running. It looks really good and the stock shows that it's actually bigger than what it first appeared.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mick, unfortunately this weather has meant that everything has had to be put on hold meantime. The railway itself, although being completely soaked over the past month or so is holding up well, thank god. My expansion plans, a station section and additional loop, I'm afraid are on hold until I can get outside to start building again. Roll on the summer lol.

Well done Bill! You've done well getting something running so quickly. I know you've had some pretty foul weather (and so have we "down south"), but I hope you're getting enugh sunny intervals to make some progress. Your "Stirling" scheme sounds adventurous but well worthwhile, and I look forward to seeing the results.

It's been a spell of very unusual weather Bill. I hope it hasn't dampened your enthusiasm for a garden railway. I always say that things have a habit of evening themselves out so in that respect we should get a decent spell of weather soon. I'm just glad that the rain came during a time where I wasn't really in a position to make any progress with my new layout. I'm ready now so let's hope the weather's kind to us all.

Good to hear the layout's survived the downpours. A layout's also a long-term project so there's plenty of time for planned expansion and we'll be here eager to see what's happening when you're able to make a start.

• 4 weeks later...