Whinny Hill

Great photos Bill and lots of nice rolling stock on view.

I find with outdoor layouts that you come to expect a few teething problems at the start of a running session. What was the problem with the Elite?

mick said:

Great photos Bill and lots of nice rolling stock on view.

I find with outdoor layouts that you come to expect a few teething problems at the start of a running session. What was the problem with the Elite?

Hi Mick, I kept getting all sorts of hieroglyphics coming up and sometimes it wouldn't respond to what I was trying to do. I had to unplug it a few times until it reset itself but mostly it was slow to respond.

• 1 year later...

There's always a spot reserved for you here Bill so good to see you back.

I thought being 'retired' would give me more time to do the things I wanted to do but I've found that I look back at just how much I used to get done when I was working and wonder how on earth I used to fit it all in. These days I get up when I want, go to bed when I want, and in-between just potter around doing what I want - but it's all done at a much more leisurely pace so I tend to make less progress than when I was working.

Be good to see how you've progressed over the past year (and a half) - blimey, it doesn't seem that long.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
traingeekboy said:

Hope to see more of this layout being operated and expanded this year. :)

Me too, traingeekboy. Made a big mistake using some scrap plywood that wasn't marine ply, so have some water damage to my station section. The plan is to rip that out this year and re-model with some expansion in mind. Still milling things through in my head at present waiting on the warmer weather coming before I get started. ;)

• 1 year later...

Well, have finally managed to get some work done on Whinnyhill, with the start of a new tunnel section. The water damaged areas are still serviceable, so going to leave them for the moment and enjoy some running time. Will get some new photos up as soon as I can.

Hi Bill good to see you back that is the problem here with what kind of timber you use the heat and humidity  plays havoc and with marine ply being twice the price and being on a budget I just went for normal ply and decided the layout be a module system and not permeant like yours, why it is taking me longer to build aiming for the big day end of June. for the first test loco.

Working on the bus wiring on the station modules takes time one person doing it all, no idea till I set up all the modules how long it will take, not much effort to set up the station modules, working on the last station module bus wiring plug panel, slides up inside the module frame out the way.

Tony from down under keeping on moving ahead.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, traingeekboy said:

It looks great. Love the thyme plants. 

Good to hear from you again old buddy. Still a lot of work to do yet, had to lift the tunnel section more than I had planned as my long carriages were catching as they came off the bends and I'm hoping to tunnel both of them. Then the plan is to cover it all over with some artificial grass to blend it in.

My apologies for the duplicate pictures. It's the first time I've posted photos on the new web site, still getting used to it.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8.4.2017 at 7:14 PM, Bill Davidson said:

58e91810b069d_PICT0050(1).thumb.JPG.732ef000222b64e309547c49b7208356.JPG

58e9182d1d2f6_PICT0051(1).thumb.JPG.537d69d2ad8cee2ccaa134ce128b1d4f.JPG

PICT0054.thumb.JPG.eb96d41cb054d03beef9009b6cc67963.JPG

PICT0055.thumb.JPG.ad02bda0a4e8e30b03a678e2f207ceed.JPG

PICT0056.thumb.JPG.1e6b1861f1fd14eb56866b1d7cfbe28f.JPG

PICT0053.thumb.JPG.ce74f793250af632c316b2f54d42c5aa.JPG

Some photos of the removable centre section of my new tunnel. Still a few things to do yet and the last picture shows what happens when you use ordinary ply as opposed to exterior grade.

I started to use bitumen glue to cover and protect the sides of the ply against humidity and water. 

Bitumen glue covers very well and makes a good protection film. When it is dry, it is not sticky or smelling. And you can paint over it. 

Hi Bill, ouch see what you mean, sounds like a good idea to use that bitumen glue on the ends of the ply  , depends if I can get it over here, but I don't have to worry that much as my garden railway is a module set up and in the real hot days  be setting   the layout up to run trains

What have t=you made your platforms out of, my last layout I made mine out of 12mm ply adding 3mm MBF board making the module too heavy to pick haven't worked out what I be using probably framing and MBF top, longest platform is 15feet  on my layout, aiming for the end of June for the first test loco to run on the layout even if it only half of the layout.

Love the pics keep them coming,

Tony from down under keeping on moving ahead..