Whinny Hill

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

It's that time of year again when I'm thinking of what to do next on the layout. Is there anyone on the forum using a mechanical system to operate points outdoors as opposed to the usual electrical methods? I read somewhere that it's possible to use cycle cables to operate the points, just wonered if anyone has ever used this method? :?:

billdavidson said:

It's that time of year again when I'm thinking of what to do next on the layout. Is there anyone on the forum using a mechanical system to operate points outdoors as opposed to the usual electrical methods? I read somewhere that it's possible to use cycle cables to operate the points, just wondered if anyone has ever used this method? :?:

Hi Bill,

I've used cycle cable on a crossover on the K&WR. Works a treat.

You can buy long lengths on eBay. Search for Bowden Cable.

Ian R

I have seen similar done with two old hypodermic syringes and a suitable piece of plastic tube. Movement of the "Control" syringe will pneumatically move the syringe at the other end giving movement for the points. The tube could be filled with water for the same effect hydraulically, but an antifreeze solution would be better for outside use. You would need syringes with removable needles such as Vets use.

• 1 month later...

Good to see you back with progress to report Bill. The platforms are coming along nicely and they'll add to your operational interests. Have you used wood as the base for the platforms? - I can't be sure from the photos.

Have you had any running sessions this year? and how's everything standing up to the North East weather?

mick said:

Good to see you back with progress to report Bill. The platforms are coming along nicely and they'll add to your operational interests. Have you used wood as the base for the platforms? - I can't be sure from the photos.

Have you had any running sessions this year? and how's everything standing up to the North East weather?

Hi Mick, yes I've used wood for the platform bases which have now had a coat of exterior varnish, they'll then be topped with plywood and painted. still not had the trains running this year yet, have some track work to sort out first, where I was getting de-railments last year, due to gaps too big between some of my flexi track. Weather wise everything has mostly held up well. Some slight water damage to the plywood base mainly between the joins but will be easily sorted. At the moment it's getting the time and weather to work outside, usually when the weather is good I'm at work and when I'm off it's raining....sods law or what? :lol:

Firstly, my apologies Bill. For some reason I had it in my mind that you were from the North-East which is why I mentioned the weather in that area in my previous post. I've just noticed your 'location' and realise that you're much further north than I first thought.

billdavidson said:

...still not had the trains running this year yet, have some track work to sort out first, where I was getting de-railments last year, due to gaps too big between some of my flexi track...

How big are the offending gaps Bill? I find that if you're careful you can push the lengths of rail along the sleepers providing the sleepers are pinned securely. I've used the flat blade of a screwdriver inserted at the rail joins to gently move a rail one way or the other to even up any gaps that have become too large. You might need to gently tap the screwdriver in order to get some movement but it all depends on how big the gaps are to start with as to whether this would work for you.

And don't spend too much time working - take a few days off.

• 2 months later...

Well, all track issues are now sorted. Had to replace a couple of lengths of shorter track with some lengths of flexi track. Glad to say trains have been running again. The new platforms took a bit of work shaving down the edges where the carriages were catching and derailing. That's what I get for laying the track first and building the platforms around them. Managed to get them painted up today, so progress is being made again albeit slowly.

New Platforms 001.JPG

New Platforms 002.JPG

New Platforms 003.JPG

billdavidson said:

...The new platforms took a bit of work shaving down the edges where the carriages were catching and derailing. That's what I get for laying the track first and building the platforms around them....

Same here Bill - that's just what I did but fortunately I don't seem to have any problems with stock catching the edges of my platforms. To be honest I never even gave building the platforms first any consideration whatsoever - I just jump straight in and do things without thinking anything through. I could probably save myself an awful lot of work and frustration if I just sat down and thought about it first.

Your platforms look great by the way!