Sign in to follow this  
cleanerg6e

DCC SYSTEMS

Looking on other forums at how people bemoan the price of DCC Systems makes me laugh. Those same people will no doubt spend good money on a new car costing thousands and then quibble over the price of a decent DCC System.

When purchasing a DCC System ALWAYS use extra hardware by the same manufacture. So if you've bought say a Hornby Elite use Hornby boosters and accessory decoders. Don't use a Hornby Elte command station with Lenz boosters and Bachmann accessory decoders or you could have BIG problems. Don't buy components from different manufactures just because they're cheap or you've found a cheap example on Ebay. In theory they should be able to all work together, BUT if you have problems with one of them then the other manufactures may blame that component for stuffing the whole lot. After all you wouldn't buy a GM Vauxhall and fit it with Ford or Nissan parts, would you?

So keep everything on the hardware side from the same manufacturer. Mobile decoders such as the ones in locos can be from anyone as long as they are NMRA compliant.

Looking on the DCC Concepts website they have a rundown on DCC Systems. They recommend NCE as it does everything as it comes. Digitrax is OK but It's 'Super Chief' system is the only one to buy as the 'Empire Builder' and 'Zephyr' are not even up to the NCE Powercab. It's manuals are full of techno jargon and ads for it's products. Zimo is the Rolls Royce of DCC systems with a Rolls Royce price. Lenz is not bad but you need the Lenz 100 not the Lenz 90 system and many people complain of Lenz manuals being too hard to understand due to more techno babble. Hornby Elite isn't that great and Select after being reviewed by a German magazine only had one line in English: return to manufacturer, which say it all. Bachmann Dynamis promised SO much yet delivered so little as you had to by extra components just to be able to read CV's. ZTC has seen no development work to keep pace with the changing times and has been through a few owners, the latest just trying to put old technology back onto the market when everyone else has moved one. Gauge master Prodigy looks like an NCE copy but you need two hands to operate it instead of one.

Roy.

eh DCC is an odd thing. Most people who argue over what's batter only have that system. I tested a bunch of systems at the LHS and took about two years to buy one. I have only owned one system i can't really argue the points of others.

My biggest concerns were 4 digit addressing and being able to access all the decoders functions. It was based on what i'd read about DCC systems on various forums. NCE is touted as being the best and it probably is; I'm actually really happy with my zephyr system. I never got beyond it. I doubt I ever will.

Your comments about pricing are very relevant. My decision for Zephyr was based on functions per dollar and it seems to be working out ok. But i'll get back to you after a few years of using it on the outdoor layout as soon as I can fit some decoders into all this legacy Ho scale stuff.

Biggest mistake I ever made was selling my DCS50

Funilly enough I now use a DT401 throttle on my Fleishmann Twin Center. Oh and a PR3 for decoder programming via JMRI.... so much easier than remembering al those CV Values

traingeekboy said:

eh DCC is an odd thing. Most people who argue over what's batter only have that system. I tested a bunch of systems at the LHS and took about two years to buy one. I have only owned one system i can't really argue the points of others.

My biggest concerns were 4 digit addressing and being able to access all the decoders functions. It was based on what i'd read about DCC systems on various forums. NCE is touted as being the best and it probably is; I'm actually really happy with my zephyr system. I never got beyond it. I doubt I ever will.

Your comments about pricing are very relevant. My decision for Zephyr was based on functions per dollar and it seems to be working out ok. But i'll get back to you after a few years of using it on the outdoor layout as soon as I can fit some decoders into all this legacy Ho scale stuff.

When I bought my system Griff I wanted radio as we garden railroaders have a habit of ignoring everything going on around and above us. So for me radio was the way to go because if the heavens opened (due to me being oblivious to the weather and everything else when operating) then that would eliminate having to unplugged a control panel and rush it indoors.