Craigs Garden Railway

doublecee

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The only issue I has was setting up the JMRI software to work with the USB interface, it was nothing that a bit of googling couldn't sort.

I've never played with live steam so I don't know if you can, or would want to put a DCC chip in. If you do then the power requirements would probably be more than the PowerCab's 2amp limit. They do more powerful systems, but the upgrade path from the PowerCab (SB3a) is simple and not expensive.

The great thing about my set up is that I had all the computer/wifi/iDevices kit already, so it was very cost effective.

just in case I didn't make it clear http://www.oogardenrailway.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=114' rel="external nofollow">elsewhere... the software is Java based so works on Mac or PC. I started with my MacBook but now have a friends old PC permanently installed in the shed.

Craig - I know its a late response to your "pacing" video of the "spam can", but it reminds me of a video I have, produced by the BR Southern Region Film Unit, of a real life pacing run done between Templecombe and Yeovil Jn, with 34092 "City of Wells". If I could ever work out how to copy my old home produced dvds into digital files, I will post some snippets of it. I dont know - it may already be available on YT or similar.

Important things I heave learnt today:

• Morley Controllers are awesome! I opted for the 2.5 amp Zero One model, for larger gauge layouts. But is ideal for our larger, longer trains. Built in CDU, and two 5 meter handheld units.

Fixing Ebay Pigs is great therapy, and Palitoy Mainline Commutators clean up very nicely.

Track Magic isnt just for track.

Power Buss is essential. The Live Steam dilema highlighted the issue... and I have now successfully completed the outer circuit and passing loop into the station. Im going to redo those bad ones at the top that I did a few weeks ago, and traingeekboy told me why they were so bad....

Screwfix is a great store

Maplins should not ship delicates in jiffy envelopes

Now, speaking of Palitoy.... I have to say that its a brand that I am very very close to. For the past three years I have been writing a movie, featuring a very well known brand from back in the day. As well as writing, I have also been creating concept artworks and CGI assets and tests (

">

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ). Ironically, it was a creative block that lead me into the garden, seeking distraction from the project, to give myself some breathing space.

If you fancy a little look around the blog, feel free. Ill open it up for a few hours with a unique password for you lot

garden

Do check out the concepts page, as that is where most of the recent activity has been happening. Ill keep it open for my Gardn Rail friends for 24 hours before locking it down again ;)

Right, back to the trains....

blogger-image--762339784.jpg-tKrp ... 339784.jpghttps://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-tKrpj21pKwI/UEJwAKP65aI/AAAAAAAABMM/ET6ZDuDfFGc/s640/blogger-image--762339784.jpg' alt='URL>'>

blogger-image-1315292398.jpg-c7mX ... 292398.jpghttps://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-c7mX37sJI9s/UEJwA2X_gOI/AAAAAAAABMc/Ozduz-Auu2s/s640/blogger-image-1315292398.jpg' alt='URL>'>

So, new and correct 808 camera arrived, that records in my prefered codec (h264).

Will take it for a spin later. Wide angle lens is a cheap eBay purchase, originally intended for the iPhone