• 1 month later...
  • Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 months later...

not sure if you were there at Warley on Saturday, but I had a great time on the Hornby stand to help assist the 2015 announcements. I was on hand all day to discuss the Laser scans I did of the Adams Radial and class 71 Electro...

">

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Seeing both in the Garden will be a very sweet, rewarding experience.

Well, as I am sure you have all read by now, Hornby are to release both the Adams Radial and a cool Class 71. Of course, both of which started out with a Laser scan by my company (Motion Associates Ltd).

Whats a laser scan?

Well here is a video that I did for the Hornby release.

">

It's all far too clever for me to try to get my head around! I see Rapido are talking about the possibility of having a "Scanning Party" in 2015 for whatever comes after their APT-E. I was able to go to the one at Shildon this year and enjoyed seeing what was involved (and the refreshments). Of course Hornby don't work that way and never make announcements until after the event.

Keep up the good work. It means better models for us to buy.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

tried my first stab at weathering with powders over the xmas break.

I decided to do it on my least used loco, the 40th anniversary Evening Star.

images too large to embed here, but head over to the blog for a look.

As first stabs go, Im quite happy, learning a lot in the process.

http://craigsgardenrailway.blogspot.co.uk/2014/12/first-stab-at-weathering-with-powders.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hi doublecee, nice job on the weathering, can agree on what you are saying about resizing pics, I resize mine and if they are too small will get away with bigger pics in the gallery.

I wouldn't be game to weather my locos, worried I stuff the loco up, on a budget, let them age the natural way, once my layout is up and running with the trains running out in the open will do that. There is only sections of my layout outside, mainly single track, rest is in under the pergola and not a permanent set up either modular, taking me a bit longer to build.

Yeah that video clip of the new British 71 class electric caught my eye too, pretty awesome , some soft wear programme to create that affect, you can create a smoky affect in a still shot.

Over here in QLD we too have an electric 71 class loco Pacific National use them to pull coal trains, pretty powerful loco, couldn't find a pic that didn't have copyright on it I found a you tube link instead, you can put a search in Railpictures .

">

Thanks Aussie

That 71 video is the result of the laser scan I did for Hornby. They then take that 3D data and use it to create their cad for tooling. All in all, its a very exciting project thats a bit of a hot potato here in the UK because a couple of makers are bringing out the 71 at the same time.

Obviously, my loyalties lie with Hornby in this instance. Doing lots of scanning for them, so expect to see more of the same as the 2015-16 releases develop.

Great work with the powders Craig. My first attempts were with powders and they're a very good way to weather locos and stock without causing permanent damage.

I now use an airbrush but also powders for extra effect.

Well done!

Ian

Hi doublecee, no worries, you did a good job with the programing, is that your background programming.

Must ask you how did you get that pic that size pic to upload on your avatar , the biggest size I can upload is 15MP's onto my avatar, would love a bigger pic I have now is my favourite Aussie loco, 38 class 3801 still running on the main line today in NSW, did double head with the Flying Scot when she visited us in 88.

Still looking for a good pic of 3801 to go on my avatar, have one in Lima, not bad, waiting for another mob to bring 3801 out be twice the price.

I like a mixture of different locos from different countries, getting back into British trains, the duel powered Flying Scot being my favourite UK steam loco, Aussie locos, American, British would like an Irish passenger train with their latest loco , orange is awesome, have family connections with Ireland, Scottish and German.

Tony.

• 5 months later...

I have no excuse... other than a combination of poor weather and very little free time.

IMG_3400.jpgV ... G_3400.jpghttp://4.bp.blogspot.com/-g87lIKf0upU/VYWxAEY-w2I/AAAAAAAAHDc/6ZdTuNUhGqE/s1600/IMG_3400.jpg' alt='URL>'>

I have a list of things that need doing. I started on the list earlier this year, starting with the power connection to the layout. Previously, I just ran cable out of the window and connected to the junction box. Now the layout has a permanent connection to the house... and its working well

The suburban station canopies have warped, so I need to look into that. I do have a rather nice Bachmann Sheffield Park station waiting in the wings which would be less prone to such deformations, and probably prettier as well. But that will require a little bit of planning with regards to the track in that area, as the current set up has the single platform sandwiched between the up & down tracks. Sheffield park juts out so may have to conform to the more traditional two platform scenario, and therefore an overhaul of the actual structure that the track is on.

Anyway, considering how little its been used this past 18 months its not faired too badly.