Craigs Garden Railway

doublecee

Two videos in as many days....

This latest one didnt go as planned though... Lets just say that when live steam goes awry, you need to be A; near the controller and B; have those heat gloves to hand. What you DONT see in this video is the Loco doing a full circuit and ramming its now uncoupled rake right up the backside.

Oh, and the cats are either getting bolder or more stupid.

Its at that point I decided to call it a day.

Still, I got to see my custom double tender in action.

">

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's a nice video you made. Your layout has really turned out nicely too. the camera angle makes CAT look really big too. Sara watched it with me and her comment was that the sound track was ominous, perhaps an indication of the crisis to come.

As I've been saying to everyone, I envy when I see running time this summer. The lack of layout has been keeping me off the forum as I have nothing to add of my own.

Just watched the 'crash' video Craig, very cleverly done & enjoyable. I got so engrossed even the mishap caught me by surprise just as I thought how well everything was riding 'kerpow'!!

I thought it was only me that had those incidents. well done & thanks for showing us all that 'accidents will happen'!

They do indeed happen. So glad the track is just over a foot of the ground. Live steam isn't really suited to falls from height. Although, in all fairness that was my first major derail. I always had issues with long rakes of Pullmans but ever since I swapped out the Nem tension lock couplers for Hornby's "alternative" couplers I've not had a single issue. Well, that is until the other day when I had to reinstate a tension lock sink could run tbe Pullmans in the double Tender Night Hawk.

A little night-time action for you.... using WagonCam.

">

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The platform was given a population boost today, and I have decided to add another Platform and footbridge over the summer

01e8296ad22611e2ae8022000a1fc41a_7.jpgdistilleryimage3.ak.instagram.co ... c41a_7.jpghttp://distilleryimage3.ak.instagram.com/01e8296ad22611e2ae8022000a1fc41a_7.jpg' alt='URL>'>

c9dc6626d22511e2a07422000a1fab83_7.jpgdistilleryimage0.ak.instagram.co ... ab83_7.jpghttp://distilleryimage0.ak.instagram.com/c9dc6626d22511e2a07422000a1fab83_7.jpg' alt='URL>'>

b9e59df0d22511e29dc922000a1fbb59_7.jpgdistilleryimage4.ak.instagram.co ... bb59_7.jpghttp://distilleryimage4.ak.instagram.com/b9e59df0d22511e29dc922000a1fbb59_7.jpg' alt='URL>'>

6d199940d22511e2984822000a1f9707_7.jpgdistilleryimage1.ak.instagram.co ... 9707_7.jpghttp://distilleryimage1.ak.instagram.com/6d199940d22511e2984822000a1f9707_7.jpg' alt='URL>'>

dd37499acd5a11e2b4cc22000a1fbe13_7.jpgdistilleryimage0.s3.amazonaws.co ... be13_7.jpghttp://distilleryimage0.s3.amazonaws.com/dd37499acd5a11e2b4cc22000a1fbe13_7.jpg' alt='URL>'>

• 3 weeks later...

New addition to the layout... the amazing Z21 controller... a purchase prompted by the death of my Elite.

What can I say? The Z21 IS amazing and then some. The mobile app is just so well thought out. No more JMRI and withrottle for me (which I liked)

• 2 weeks later...

had a great run this weekend, but alas I was unable to record anything as it was just a quickie to check the Z21. All I can say is that the z21 is amazing. I have now got every loco tagged and bagged into the app, and any notion to use the Elite or get an E-link have long since passed. Get a demo if you can, its amaze-balls

blogger-image--778458134.jpg-XywY ... 458134.jpghttps://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-XywYkzDGPNA/UeRwfS31UpI/AAAAAAAABd8/lQS38nH7lpI/s640/blogger-image--778458134.jpg' alt='URL>'>

The iPad version allows you to have multiple controllers on the same screen, but I prefer the ergonomics of the iphones... Having just upgraded the family to iphone 5's from 4's I now have additional controller phones for guests etc.

The TouchCab app for iPhones, iPod Touch, and iPads provides a very similar interface for users of ECoS and Lenz v3.6 command stations and you can try the limited version free. Fully featured it costs £5.49 (Details at http://www.touchcab.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) . I realise the app for Z21 is free but the initial outlay is quite high.

The Hornby eLink can be used with iPhones and Android devices but the app for the first device costs £10 and £5 for each additional one (to a total of 8) . It is still very economical way of getting into fully featured DCC at £68 plus an old PC or laptop.

I do like the inference from Z21 that there are, or will be, locos with onboard cameras for a live drivers eye view (and not just the cab simulation you can download). I'd like to see how that works.

Dave W

I was hoping to get the E-link, but it seemed to be taking an age to come to market, and Im not a big fan of Hornby's software. Both Railmaster and Trackmaster look and feel about 15 years behind, both in appearance and operation.

Prior to the Z21, I was using an Elite with Withrottle, but being opensource, it didnt really have the aesthetic appeal that Im after. I do feel that the Z21 is worth every penny because it just works, with a very nice interface for the iphone and ipad... I just found myself smiling and nodding in agreement and an appreciative delight at just how well it works.

Programming is a doddle by the way too.

ANyway, original Elite died, so was sent of to Hornby, who supplied me with a minty new one, that I now have to decide what I want to do with it... save it for a small nGauge layout in my office or sell it as New on Ebay...

There is a lot to be said for something that "just works" without spending hours poring over instructions. The single sheet of instructions with the elink hides the fact that you need to open up a more detailed pdf document which talks about altering com port numbers and baud rates. Not so "plug and play" as I expected.

I still derive some satisfaction from using a quadrant lever to alter the speed of my trains rather than sliding my finger across a touchscreen.

Keep us informed how you go on with your Z21 (perhaps in the DCC Control and Sound section)

Dave W

• 1 month later...