• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So, yesterday the weather was great in the AM. The sun was actually very warm on the face. So, into the house I go, getting controllers ready (Hurry up with the E-Link Hornby!!), and some selected stock.

Get back out to the garden and its starting to drizzle. My new 2-Bil will just have to wait some more, I guess.

I seem to recall this time last year I was enjoying better weather. (

">

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Oh well... not long to go.

Heading out to Chicago for a month in May, so looking forward to seeing how they do Model Railways out there. Am I right to assume HO stock runs on OO gauge track?

If I'm reading the above weather forecast correctly then I don't see much chance of you being outside for a few days, let alone today.

Going back to your comments on my Worsley Dale thread regarding the possibility of you adding a viaduct to your own layout here, you mention it being likely that any viaduct would span across the area within the centre of your existing layout - are you thinking of connecting it in to the existing tracks or would you need to add another line entirely?

I understand your reasons for opting for a timber construction of the viaduct but do keep in mind the need for drainage of excess rainwater if that's the way you eventually go. This wouldn't be so much of a problem with an open flat top but if there are parapet type walls then water will collect in there unless it's kept covered during bad weather - and I found that to be a pain in the butt.

If you imagine our layout as being a big, twin circuit oval... well I would probably have points mid way down on either side, so that trains have the option to cut across the middle of the garden.

Early days yet... I need the weather to get going before I can get out there and feel inspired. At the moment, I am suffering from a lack of enthusiasm.

One thing I did do today is finally getting round to renumbering the 2nd Tender on my renamed Live Steam Flying scotsman. She was sent to me as 2577 Night Hawk, and I wanted a 2nd tender...

Pics are available on the blog

http://craigsgardenrailway.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/flying-scotsman-renumbered.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Its my first stab at such a venture, and quite a fiddle to get those numbers correctly spaced.

Most Americans would pronounce it Ch eye chester, with the emphasis on 'eye', but it should be pronounced as Chi chester with both ch's as in chicken.

As to how it got its name, it is partly Roman ( the chester part) and partly Saxon (the Chi, a corruption of the mythical Anglo Saxon king of Sussex, Cissa).

Well. Like This... Chi...... Che......ster. Yanks come here looking for Cheye....cheester

It's an old roman city, about 10 miles away from where the Romans first landed some 2 thousand years ago.

We still have parts of the roman wall in tact and roman villas at fishbourne that were discovered in the mid 60s.

One of our great points is that we are OLD. REALLY OLD. We have stuff here from way before the roman conquest. We have been conquered and repelled would be rulers throughout our history. As soon as we are out of the EU, the better. Ooops.... Politics. Wrong meeting!

Be sure to check out the fun and games I had today renumbering my #2 Live steam Mallard to bittern and the recolor of the 2nd spare water tank to garter blue. Now I have what could be refered to as a happy mistake, and not sure what I want to do next.

http://craigsgardenrailway.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/a-happy-mistake.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;