Craigs Garden Railway

doublecee

Finally had some fun yesterday evening...

https://vimeo.com/48772799" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Lens ring covers the microphone hole, muffling the sound, so Im going to have a rethink about the housing..

The Flying scotsman only steams at full tilt. I guess the old margate gearing is set high, and the Sleuth Smoke Gen really only starts to work effectively when either on full voltage or as part of a DCC setup. I have yet to put a resistor on the motor supply to bring it down a tad.

But you kinda get the idea.

These cameras will improve over time, and it wont be long before we get 1080p from them and maybe better low light

Edited by Guest

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice video Craig. Sounds like everybody's dusting off their video lenses this week.

For the relative cost these mini camera's produce some excellent results, even in low light as you've shown. I don't think we'll have long to wait for something of the highest quality that's small enough to fit on the bed of a wagon. It's probably already out there somewhere.

your right, there are a few candidates already out there, but they are cost inhibitive. i think this latest version is pretty stable (number 18 in the 808 range). waiting to see what can be done with the firmware too. Ideally, i would want the newer versions of offer stereo sound, and / or the ability to use an external stereo mic. The Chinese are saturating the market with these camera's, so its only a matter of time I suppose before we get a great one for less than 30 notes.

At the end of the video, there is a quick video glimpse of the camera wagon being pushed by one of my 47's.... You'll notice I used one of the heavy Hopper chassis from Hornby. It has a great weight, and no play in the axles. The weight runs the full length of the body and provides a very stable base for the camera...

yep, that would be me in the red Tee.

Music is by The Chromatics, who provided a few tunes to the soundtrack for DRIVE (quite possibly the best film last year)

Tried to see if I could use a resistor to the Scotsman to slow her down but have the full voltage still go to the smoke Gen... to no avail

Im not sure on the electronics, TGB.... No matter what terminal I attach the current resistor (that would effectivly reduce the voltage by a third), no current gets passed to the motor. I need to look into this....

The Chromatics are awesome. The closest you will get to a good 80's sound, today

Oh, and my new Akai Synthstation 49 arrives today, so wont be long before I can add some of my own eclectic sounds to my videos :)

Craig

Love the latest video :D The "Duchess" has to be one of my favourite 3 steam locos ever and there was a moment of film there, where the motion was shown off really nicely, that I just drooled - fantastic :!:

I love the lighting in the signalbox - really comes into its own at twilight. keep up the great work :D

Anyone following this thread will know that recently I have been beset with Ebay Live Steam woes

What looked like a bargain, ended up headed towards the bin, as the Loco wasnt working. I sent it back to Hornby, who did as asked and gave it a service, but unfortunatly, its return didnt amount to much, as it refused to budge. However, I returned it, using its absence as a good excuse to address the wiring issues that the LIve Steam had highlighted. Today, the Mallard returned, and ...

well....

I'll let you decide for yourself

">

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Im pretty sure your viaduct inaugural crossing video will be a tough one to beat ;)

Thanks tho for the kind words. The layout certainly does have a daylight sweetspot thats about 3 hours before sunset... I get a nice dappled light in the garden, and the way it picked up the steam was a doozy!

So, Steam works.

Wagon Cam works.

Time to get Carriage Cam built....

Oh yes..... you read that right... Carriage Cam

Craig, I singed up for fibre broadband this morning and it's your fault. All your Vimeo stuff is so good, but my broadband is so slow I finally cracked and increased my Internet costs threefold.

Just got to wait 3 weeks until I can watch your films in stutter free glory.

Im pretty sure your viaduct inaugural crossing video will be a tough one to beat ;)

Don't expect too much from me and you'll need some patience because it's not going to happen until I have somewhere to run to so I need to complete as far as the location of the outside station before the video camera comes into play.

Looking forward to the 'coach cam'!