Craigs Garden Railway

doublecee

...It's pretty funny how we are all sort of programmed to think trains go indoors. Then something clicks in our heads and we figure we'll try this out doors thing. Once you go out doors it's just so much more fun and in many ways less stressful, you sort of wonder why you wasted so much time with all the limitations of indoor railroading...

Although Ive held a fascination with OO garden railways since reading about the 'Daventry Garden Railway', many years ago, I agree with Griff's statement above that few people, even those in the model railway trade, consider that OO gauge is a viable proposition outdoors. Not only can it be very successful but it can also be a great way to relax and create a family or social occasion as Doublecee's experiences prove.

I've spent the best part of the last 2 decades in front of a pc monitor, creating websites, publishing magazines and generally wasting a whole lot of my time. With the garden railway I'm now breathing in fresh air, getting exposed to some sunlight, seeing more daylight, and feeling a whole lot better for it. Combine the railway with the gardening and it really doesn't get much better than this.

Technology is a wonderful thing and without it we wouldn't have such things on a model railway as DCC operations and digital sound etc, but it can all get a bit too much when life revolves around a hand-held smartphone or other device. It's almost impossible to communicate with anyone for more than a few minutes these days without the interruption of a call or text message alert. Visitors to your home arrive with said device to hand and you're put on hold whilst it generally receives priority. Any point you might raise during a conversation is quickly referenced 'online'. It's good to get out into the garden and relieve the stress of it all.

To get back to the subject in hand, I'm pleased that Mrs Doublecee has noticed a beneficial improvement in your outward appearance - rosy cheeks always make a pleasing difference. It sounds too like you had a great time during your uncles visit, who sounds very much like I did at one time when I had lots of model railway items and never a layout to run them on. Perhaps his visit and the sight of your garden layout will give hime the urge to do something positive about it.

You've made a great job of this layout so far and that can only serve to encourage many more people to try the outdoor option.

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You've made a great job of this layout so far and that can only serve to encourage many more people to try the outdoor option.

Well, it was countless evenings spent watching your videos on youtube that pushed me in this direction.....

Technology is a wonderful thing and without it we wouldn't have such things on a model railway as DCC operations and digital sound etc, but it can all get a bit too much when life revolves around a hand-held smartphone or other device. It's almost impossible to communicate with anyone for more than a few minutes these days without the interruption of a call or text message alert. Visitors to your home arrive with said device to hand and you're put on hold whilst it generally receives priority. Any point you might raise during a conversation is quickly referenced 'online'. It's good to get out into the garden and relieve the stress of it all.

When I get visitors with smartphones I tell them to download the WiThrottle app and then let them drive my trains with it ;)

• 2 weeks later...

real life gets in the way. Currently at the Nurburgring filming Rush... the garden seems light years away. Had a little play at the weekend to test out old camera, and it started to rain within minutes of the first train...

Uploading video now from hotel.

I think I am just about done with the 500D camera. Its a great entry level DSLR, but it just can't cut the mustard with Video... I shot this to see if Magic Lantern (firmware hack) would at least up its game a little, but I think the 5D Mk III is going to make an appearance sooner as opposed to later.

Its a crappy cut with music literally thrown on in an attempt to mask the lack of sound from the garden.

">

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The film I just worked on used a 5D for their camera. i also worked on a tv Pilot where it was a 5D with cinema lenses. Both got some really nice images due to the fact that SLRs react to light almost like film does. My one big problem with them is the rolling shutter effect with moving images, it literally makes things wavy. Have you had issues with wavy images when there's a lot of movement?

Why not do a real train sound video? Just use the actual sound of the models rolling on the track.

Just watched your video. I like the desaturated colors. Is that final cut pro?

I think the real selling point for doing video with SLR's is pretty self evident in your video. You have a lot of different lenses that you use for varied effects. Also the depth of field on the close ups really focuses the eye on the action and not the blurred out background.

that long tracking shot on the steam engine was that hand held? Or did you use some sort of camera steadying gear? It looked great seeing the loco working it's way along like that.

I love gadgets, I love camera's, but I thought I'd gone overboard several years ago when I purchased a Canon 20D for £800. It's a bit old in the tooth now but I couldn't justify upgrading it - well certainly not at the moment. I take it the 5D MkIII you're discussing here is the Canon EOS model at about £3,000 :shock: ?

I'm surprised to hear that Griff's recent film work involved a DSLR too. Is the quality of the 5D MkIII's HD video really that good?

Regarding your video, my favourite part was the close up running of Tornado where you can see the movement of the motion. It reminded me of one of the Big Four promotional videos.

Although I'm not able to listen to the soundtrack on this computer I agree that there are times when it's best to let the models and the surroundings provide the accompaniment. You do occasionally capture distracting noises but that's part of nature and the real outdoors so just let it come through.

">

A couple of new additions to the stock. I capped the Pullmans off with the Observation Car from Hornby, and a lovely Class 42 from Bachmann. The sheer weight of it is incredible.

0834c966871a11e1abb01231381b65e3_7.jpgT ... 65e3_7.jpghttp://2.bp.blogspot.com/-gDR3i910K88/T4s3-dM3JfI/AAAAAAAAA-M/Xb5K_LCUtUE/s1600/0834c966871a11e1abb01231381b65e3_7.jpg' alt='URL>'>

88730d46871911e1abb01231381b65e3_7.jpgT ... 65e3_7.jpghttp://4.bp.blogspot.com/-I7S0pkfK1uA/T4s5A1_rKlI/AAAAAAAAA-w/pg4xf9PsFlU/s1600/88730d46871911e1abb01231381b65e3_7.jpg' alt='URL>'>

37cdcb2a870911e18cf91231380fd29b_7.jpgT ... d29b_7.jpghttp://1.bp.blogspot.com/-uOOilJslu80/T4s4MJjrJ1I/AAAAAAAAA-k/DfWvyZ4QzMU/s1600/37cdcb2a870911e18cf91231380fd29b_7.jpg' alt='URL>'>

Yes, the 5D Mk II & III video is stunning.

This was all shot of 5D MKII... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dn-Xivbu7E" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

• 2 weeks later...

THE RAIN STOPPED!!!!!!!

Even though it was forecast, today on the south coast (well, my bit anyway...) the weather was glorious.

So, out with the Class 31 (weathered), out with the old airfix MK II coaches that I have been finding on Ebay over the last few months (2 more to find), out with the old loco from the delux Pullman Set, and finally my old trusty GWR Pannier Tank that Mum gave me Xmas 81

So, it was five oclock, I stepped away from work and had a couple of hours play whilst the light lasted...

">

That looks very effective and very neat. I assume you've had to cut them to fit? Are they fastened in place or simply resting?

sorry mick, your post slipped in under the radar and I missed it.

No, its all cut to size here by me. Basically I offer it up to the wall in 4 ft sections and then using a hard edge like a piece of timber, I push it in under the ledge. This breaks the bamboo and all that is required is a scissor trim. It is then stapled to the block work using a nice big old staple gun...

I need a station / fiddle area, and need to make use of the suspension bridge that I have built from 6 kits! So thats next...

My sister had that kind of material in her garden. If it's the same stuff. It is very light and looks very good. As I recall it doesn't survive the elements very well, but since it's not hard to install it's an easy bi-annual fix.

Can't wait to see what you'll cook up for a station/ fiddle area.

Yeah, its pretty cheap and easy to apply

I upgraded from iMovie on the mac to Final Cut Pro. I was keen to see how much more advanced it is.

I look forward to tweaking some more... in the mean time, here is a revised version of the earlier video... The look may not be to everyones taste... just experimenting

• 2 weeks later...

I've heard the new FCP is very different from what i'm used to. But it takes advantage of the 64 bit bus so it's quite a bit faster.

I went from an amiga to pc to mac. i was pretty convinced mac was the ideal platform. A lot of what they've done with their OS really PI**es me off. I'm used to how it was maybe 2 years ago, but they insist on making it "user friendly", which means it gets in my way. I'm having to relearn how to do things on the newer OS. And lotso of the functionality is hidden, it kind of PI**es me off. I'm actually looking for a new NLE so I can edit without a mac as I'm lashing out against mac in my own personal way. Right now I have Ubuntu on my Pc and it's not bad at all.

If you got the new bundled version of FCP you should check out Color. It used to sell as a stand alone for maybe 40,000.00$; I was told. it's really a pro package. you'll see what I mean if you pop open the waveform/vectorscope window.