Craigs Garden Railway

doublecee

I have no excuse... other than a combination of poor weather and very little free time......

I was only looking at my track the other day and thinking exactly the same thing. It's amazing how quickly those little Thyme plants can cover the ground! On my double track section they're now well across into the 6-foot and it's going to need some drastic trimming in order to regain control.

Nice photo all the same. Good job the red signal was there to save the day!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

">

I'm back. But have a lot of work to do. Started to refurb the station to find each building was home to a big black juicy false widow spider and egg sacks.

I don't like spiders!

But had a run with Exeter today. Nothing needed on the OO civil engineering side

Those last two videos raise the bar higher yet again. I'm not able to hear the sounds using the computer I'm using at the moment but the shot of Exeter with the exhaust is bloody amazing and you must be feeling pretty pleased with how that's turned out. I certainly would have been if that had been my shot!

Among other things I loved the condition of the signal box in the second video - spiders web and all!

Yes, that side of the layout catches the light very well, and backlights the smoke from the loco and steam from my live steamers very well. Its when I see a shot like that that i find myself asking why I wait so long to do a run?

exeterSteam2.jpgV ... Steam2.jpghttp://1.bp.blogspot.com/-8Q_asJgaKDw/VZWRMuxO0tI/AAAAAAAAHEY/KWjcJubn9Nk/s640/exeterSteam2.jpg' alt='URL>'>

It has always been my favourite side of the layout, although the station side is now looking pretty good again after all that maintenance.

11355879_838169409623696_1172583352_n.jpgh ... 3352_n.jpghttps://igcdn-photos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xaf1/t51.2885-15/11355879_838169409623696_1172583352_n.jpg' alt='URL>'>

• 9 months later...

'just when i thought i was out, they pull me back in!'

thanks to a mwssage from Traingeekboy this morning, i figured id log in and see what i have missed. looks like many had a quiet winter too.

ive been so busy that the last picture posted above was also the last time I ran a train.

Admittedly, I have laser scanned a few for our beleaguered friends at Hornby, and even purchased a good few, but Ive just not had the time (or the motivation) to go and repair the winter damage... hopefully the better weather will change that.

Bottom line, I kind of overdosed on the train thing last year and probably needed a break. Something is clearly amiss, because when I ordered the Rapido APT-P last year, I was chomping at the bit to get it up and running in the garden upon its arrival.

Well, it arrived last week and Ive yet to even open the box and take a look. Its the full set, DCC sound and three extra coaches. I worry that it will in fact be headed to ebay...

So thats where Im at right now.... all work and no play.

My first advice would be to send it straight to John at Hornbys service dept, even if it appears to be a runner.

Check boiler for residue... Which indicates that tap water has been used ( bad ).

And then unlearn everything you have learnt about running trains... Live steam requires a lot of forethought. Like a real steam train, you have to think ahead as they need time to slow to a stop.

Practice indoors before doing a run in the garden... Get used to the workflow.

Get the live steam rolling road. An essential part of the fun, and a great way to unwind.

Lastly, don't get ripped off!!! eBay is full of £300 plus loco's....

'just when i thought i was out, they pull me back in!'

thanks to a mwssage from Traingeekboy this morning, i figured id log in and see what i have missed. looks like many had a quiet winter too....

Good to hear from you again Craig. There's nothing wrong with taking a break. A hobby is meant to be enjoyed rather than something which becomes all-consuming. I think the majority of us can safely take a step backwards for a while in the knowledge that our interest will inevitably be rekindled a few paces down the line. Time away is often a good thing.

There's been a number of APT-E's on ebay recently. I would imagine some are simply looking to make a good profit but I do wonder at why so many people seem to purchase and then suddenly change their minds. Surely not everyone can have had a 'change of era' where the APT-E no longer fits in? I'm a bit like you in that I've got as far as opening the box and looking in but I've not yet removed the individual vehicles from their plastic housings. I've got nowhere to put it yet so it might as well stay safe in the box.

I agree with Griff that you've added some very atmospheric shots of your layout and it would be a shame if we weren't ever treated to any more. I think the fact that you've managed to log back in gives us hope that there'll be something new in the not too distant future.

its all very much weather dependent at the moment. Theres a glimmer of hope in the coming week.

As awesome as the APT is, it looks like a real faff to put together, and they even recommend that its stays coupled when not in use... which is a real issue for anyone that has a garden railway. The only real option is to build a loading cassette with the full rake assembled, so you can just run it straight onto the track. But with a full rake and three extra coaches, thats going to be a real pain... so who knows. I may just flip it on ebay and get a bit of a profit (not my original intention, but its an option)

I think Mrs CC and I will hit the garden centre next weekend and get to some tidying up. Im off to Oz in the Summer for another Marvel Film, so will miss all of our good weather, spending Summer in Brisbane instead :-(

If I dont do a run this year, I think thats a good sign that I may just not be feeling it as much as I was a couple of years ago...

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

Hi doublecee, what a blow, I missed your last post April 2016 did you come all the way to down under to see the latest Marvel movie, I missed that one,I had some set backs with my family at that that time, we could of meant somewhere in Brisbane as I live in Ipswich.

There is another marvel Adventure movie screening this year too.

Not so good news on your layout then, quite likes it, still got the videos to look at, will save them.

Tony from down under.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...