Worsley Dale Garden Railway

mick

I've lost count of the number of times I've had to pack everything away today because of a rain shower and then just a few moments later the sun's shining again. If it's going to rain why doesn't it just rain and get it over with!

While the cement hardens around the viaduct I've been trying to get on with other things and, between showers, I've got the plywood cut to size for the curve that leads on to the viaduct. Again between the showers, I've managed to give it a first coat of thinned down bitumen. It's currently propped up on bricks while it dries.

Leaving that to one side I've got most of the already installed plywood base covered in a layer of roofing felt. I've used plenty of neat bitumen adhesive, with the felt left oversize for trimming back later and now there's a whole host of bricks, blocks and so on, sitting on top of the felt in an attempt to ensure it sticks down nice and flat. It's a bit of a haphazard way of working but each little task brings us closer to getting something running.

I've now received the complete set of station buildings I ordered for the proposed outdoor station area. These are the Bachmann 'Sheffield Park' buildings depicting those on the Bluebell Railway. When they were first released they were rather expensive and although I liked the look of them the whole set was going to put me back over £200. That was until I noticed one major retailer selling off a selection of the buildings at very tempting prices and while I've had to pay full price for one of the set I've got the remainder at a good saving. Photos later.

george356 said:

...Yet another way of making viaducts. Now no-one has an excuse NOT to have one on their layout!

Exactly right George. That's one of the benefits of belonging to a forum where the majority of members have a similar interest. We're all trying to do much the same thing and we can each share our experiences, good or otherwise as the case may be. There are a number of ways to achieve our aims, as we have shown over recent days, and one or other method will suit each of us depending on our particular circumstances, desires, and abilities. The good thing is there isn't a right or wrong way - they're all fun ways :)

As for your last comment, yeah, it would be good to see one of the 'high level' guys adding a concrete or building block viaduct to their layout!

I've been out there doing a bit more whilst the weather's fine but as is normally the case there isn't a lot of additional progress that can be seen on photos - but I've added two anyway.

The first photo shows that the sections of plywood I fixed in place a few days ago have now been covered with a layer of roofing felt. I had intended this to be one complete layer but by the time I'd got three-quarters of the way along I'd somehow managed to go off line slightly and ended up having to cut and join so that I could realign the final bit. The bridge isn't permanent by the way although there will be a bridge constructed in that spot, creating a tunnel for the railway, when everything is completed.

IMG_6507.JPG

The second photo again doesn't show much other than the fact that I've cut and treated the plywood around the curve and up to the beginning of the viaduct. It will be fixed into place as soon as possible but requires another coat of bitumen first. Although I've got a large amount of track that I salvaged from the Selby layout these sections at least are to be laid with new concrete sleepered track (Peco Streamline code 100) and the old wooden sleeper sections will be sorted and used elsewhere. There will be a set of points on the plywood immediately before the viaduct turning the double track into single track for the short journey across and into the shed.

IMG_6509.JPG

I see no reason why there can't be something running up and down here within the next week even if only in a makeshift capacity but there's still the curve behind the weather station to complete as well as the viaduct. Then, of course, there's the inside of the shed to sort out.

mick said:

As for your last comment, yeah, it would be good to see one of the 'high level' guys adding a concrete or building block viaduct to their layout!

I had a look into that and it was going to cost 10k :roll:, but I may yet put a viaduct in up at the top part of my railway using your method.

Have you thought of using a blow torch Mick to put the roofing felt down :idea: . Apparently you use the blow torch to melt the back on the roofing felt and then roll it down with a steel roller.

I've never considered using a blowtorch Roy. I'm not even sure that the roofing felt I use is suitable for heat application. I'm fine with the adhesive as it can also be used as a filler/sealant if applied carefully and it smells great!

Since posting those last 2 photos I've now cut a section of plywood to go around the weather station and given it a couple of coats of thinned bitumen adhesive. Between heavy showers (yep, the rains back again) I've managed to secure the plywood in position from the curve up to the viaduct and added the felt covering to a section on the curve that I hadn't done yesterday. And now a thunderstorm and heavy downpour has just forced me to retire to the house so that's the reason for this quick update. At least my water barrels are filling up again.

It took me ages to muster up some motivation to get started today. I'd almost given up hope of doing anything but in the end I got out a few lengths of track in order to determine the best way of adding power feeds and ended up putting several of them together. I hadn't intended running anything or even getting the track to a point where I could do so, but with track down what else could I do? A sound-fitted Bachmann class 37 37417 'Highland Region' is the only loco currently out of its box and in a convenient place and so it was given the honour of being the first operational train on Worsley Dale.

'Highland Region' almost came to grief straight away when I discovered that the temporary bridge over the tracks wasn't in fact high enough for an engine to pass beneath but luckily it was only travelling very slowly at the time and there was no damage caused.

Here's a few photos of 37417. Power to the tracks was via the 2 bulldog clips seen in the first photos - all very temporary but we're getting there.

IMG_6512.JPG

IMG_6513.JPG

IMG_6519.JPG

The rain has unfortunately called a halt to proceedings once again but while I was outside I've been giving a bit of thought to some history for Worsley Dale. I could go out there (once it stops raining that is) lay 2 parallel tracks around the garden, solder a few wires on and start playing trains but I'd like to be able to have a reason for things being as they are.

For instance, I want the viaduct to be single track. There is just about sufficient space for two running lines but for operational interest it's going to be just one. After undergoing a recent inspection it has been deemed that the viaduct, whilst basically structurally sound (I'm pleased to hear that!) would require significant investment for it to be brought up to the standard necessary for carrying heavy loadings. It has, therefore, been decided that one of the 'existing tracks' will be lifted and the 'remaining track' slewed over to run centrally along the viaduct with a crossing immediately after the viaduct to return to double track running.

I've also started laying the inner circuit using Peco streamline concrete sleeper track but again, for some added interest I'm going to do the outer line using some of the track salvaged from my previous layout. I've spent the morning cutting out damaged wooden sleepers but rather than closing up the gaps I'm going to add some spare concrete sleepers in their place to make it appear that repairs have been carried out. We will assume that Worsley Dale had only sufficient capital to completely relay part of the inner line and that temporary repairs (likely to last for several years in my experience) have been carried out on the opposite running line.

It has also been agreed that the initial objective is to begin running trains from the (as yet un-named station in the shed) only as far as the main outdoor station (also un-named at this time) and that during this initial period trains will operate on an out and return basis between the 2 stations. No additional expansion of the line will occur from those stations until this work is fully completed.

The most pressing work required at the moment is to the viaduct parapet as until this is completed work on the line running along the viaduct is on hold. The weather isn't helping matters (it's cold, wet and quite breezy up there - but you do get a magnificent view across the dale!). There is a lot of stonework required in order to complete the sidewalls at the top of the viaduct and almost all of it requires cutting manually by hand(saw). Once this rain stops we can hopefully get back to work.

Having pinned some track temporarily in place around the curve that leads down onto the viaduct, I'm hoping that I've not made it too difficult to add some scenic work in this area by making the baseboards too narrow. I've not left myself a lot of space to play with.

IMG_6524.JPG

The border to the left will be levelled and planted to provide a backdrop of greenery which may help disguise the narrow cess or I could also use some of the many stones and rocks I've currently got laying around the garden to add some extra depth. I may decide to plant something along the edge of the lawn to the right of the track base to grow up against the aerated blocks or I may decide to raise the level of the ground - I'll come to a decision eventually.

As mentioned in my previous post and as can be seen in the above photo, the left hand track will use the salvaged track from my old layout which has wooden type sleepers whilst that to the right will use concrete sleeper track - some of it salvaged and some purchased new. I will be trying to make it appear that the track on wooden sleepers has been temporarily repaired using some concrete infills and ballasted accordingly. Remember that I'm trying to depict a preserved line that is still in its infancy and one that, like me, is a little short on funds.

The big disadvantage I've found with a narrow cess is that a minor derailment can become a spectacular crash if you're not watching carefully. Fortunately, in my case it has always happened with RTR stock which are generally pretty tough these days. I do have a few locos with minor cuts and bruises though. On one occasion, a coach derailed out of my sight and pulled off three more before I saw what was happening.

The other problem is that if something falls off it can be difficult to find. My class 37 had mini snow-ploughs fitted but not glued, and one fell off. It derailed the loco (which fortunately stayed on the sleepers), but was then presumably propelled into the flower bed, never to be seen again! So if you know anyone with a spare left-hand snow deflector for a Bachmann 37, let me know!

But I'm sure you found out all these things with your previous railway.

Edited by Guest

fungus said:

The big disadvantage I've found with a narrow cess ....

Well having slept on it overnight I've woken with much less concern this morning, after all, there's only that short section around the curve and up to the viaduct where the track is actually elevated from the ground. It is going to be relatively easy to bring the ground up to just below the level of the track base or to use rocks/stones to create an embankment. A good night's sleep - that's usually what you need.

I'm at the point now where I'm about ready to fix some track permanently in place but after all the efforts of construction it usually takes a deep breath to tap in those first pins. Is everything ready and as it should be? Is it level enough? Is there sufficient clearance...? I do think it's all okay and I'll be checking as I go along to try ensure there are no undulations that might cause future problems but already I've noticed some areas here and there where there are small bumps that aren't noticeable to the naked eye but at 4mm and in front of a camera they're going to look a whole lot different. And then I read Griff's outlook on garden railways

"Garden modelling has really allowed me to let go of a lot of the perfectionist baggage... "

and I think, what the heck, just get on with it and have some fun. I'm sure I can live with a bit of a wobble, a bit of a bump, and anyway the real railways are just like that. I remember travelling over certain sections of track that would almost throw you out of your seat. You could see them coming in the distance and you just grabbed hold of your cup with one hand and gripped the seat with the other. My railway will probably be very much like that.

After my previous post and agreement with Griff's comments about dropping the perfectionist baggage this next post might come as some surprise but allow me to explain!

On each of my attempts to construct a garden railway I have strived to make the trackbase as realistic as possible. I've not been very successful up to now but it's still my main objective on Worsley Dale. Even when there are no trains on track I want it to look like a railway upon which a train might appear at any moment. So in my attempts to make it look like the permanent way I remember, I've been doing some tests with the track itself.

From my first encounter with model railways I've always thought the track just didn't look right. It was clear that the sleepers were too close together and there didn't appear to be enough room for ballast. So I've spent this morning cutting the plastic webbing from the rear of a length of Peco wooden sleeper track and fastened it in place with the sleepers spaced further apart. Here's a photo of Worsley Dale showing the standard Peco wooden sleepers alongside the Peco concrete sleeprs:

IMG_6526.JPG

The sleepers are quite tightly packed together and it just doesn't look right.

Now here's a photo after the plastic webbing has been severed and the sleepers moved further apart. The distance between sleepers hasn't been measured, it's all just done by eye for this example and is a bit too excessive at the moment but it gives some idea of the improvement in appearance that is possible.

IMG_6527.JPG

A better idea can be gauged when you actually see some rolling stock alongside as in the next photo

IMG_6528.JPG

And finally, here's a close up of the same wooden sleeper track (salvaged from my previous layout). It's naturally weathered over time and looks stunning. Who needs paint and weathering powders when you model outdoors!

IMG_6530.JPG

Your right, sometimes you just have to go with the stuff that works, and focus your attention to the worst part. I have a few bits that draw my eye in with concern. A bump, a drop, and a few parts on the main curve that flatten out and then curve again... but I figured that the best way forward was to fix my biggest gripe (the standard points) , and then just embrace the natural aspects of the layout that provide a little texture to the running.

HOWEVER, tomorrow sees the delivery of my first Live Steam Loco, and I read that these can be a little less forgiving of trackwork... so I may end up having to obsess a little more.

I must fix my sleeper gaps, and have still yet to do any bonding, other than a couple of bus drops at 12, 3, 6 and 9 oclock... reading back over this thread and Selby is a constant reminder of some great lessons you have learnt, and putting into practice on your new venture. How long before your ready to do a run, Mick?

doublecee said:

...How long before your ready to do a run, Mick?

Well I can run now, it's just that I can only go a few feet at the moment. If the weather holds up then who knows, I may even get from viaduct to weather station curve completed before it rains again after which time I'm hoping I'll be ready to make a start inside the shed where it'll be nice and dry. It's going to take some time to be perfectly honest.

Live Steam - Is that the Hornby model? I had visions of running them outdoors on my layout in Selby but it simply wouldn't work. The wiring, whilst great for normal DCC running simply wasn't up to passing the voltage required by the live steam controller. I could just about raise steam but it wouldn't accept any commands to move off. Worked fine indoors on a rolling road and a small circle of track but while the smell of the oil and steam was remarkably realistic (just like the real thing in fact) there was only so many times you could go through that routine. I sold all my live steam in the end.

I've now eased the sleeper spacing's on 2 lengths of track and fixed them in position. I've got a lot of spare sleepers already. I've used a card template marked at 9mm intervals to align the sleepers in order to get a more consistent gap between each one. It's very time consuming but the results are most certainly worth it - at least with track that is not ballasted. I'm hoping it will look just as good, if not better, once the tracks are ballasted.