Worsley Dale Garden Railway

mick

TheQ said:

....Are you going to leave the viaduct as is or will you, in time, paint or otherwise decorate it?

I don't intend painting it Q. At the most I may give the faces a light sanding to lessen the prominence of the moulded zigzag lines but other than that I think it's best to let nature do its thing. One thing I may attend to is the parapet wall which would be better if it were that bit shorter to allow a better view of the trains.

ba14eagle said:

...You cant beat that Sulzer "throb" from the 26 - awesome :D

Have you heard the Sutton locomotive works class 24? Now that is awesome. I'll get one running the next time I have trains out.

aussietmrail said:

...What's the diesel loco class, like the colour scheme...

Do you mean the pair of maroon and cream ones? They're class 47's in Northern Belle livery. These are ViTrains models commissioned by Rail Exclusive.

The blue locomotive is a class 26 produced by Heljan.

After a couple of days away from the layout, today I've finally got round to seeing to a few little things that needed doing.

Firstly the over bridge. It had been my intention to install this stone-cast bridge (photo below) that I purchased a few years ago especially with the outdoor layout in mind...

borders036.thumb.jpg.99de9617646c17d955494461db34e0f1.jpg

...but today I decided against it. Instead I think it will be better used on an indoor layout where it will hopefully be less prone to damage.

In its place I decided to use some of the aerated block off-cuts that I had left over from building the viaduct. The bridge doesn't need to be anything special or fancy - it just needs to be something that I don't have to worry about getting damaged - so a few sawcuts and some sanding with the rasp later and we have 3 adjoining sections that I hope resemble a bridge.

borders035.thumb.jpg.5d8cbb570916e459da15d5d4a226df2c.jpg

I've used the rasp to remove the central section along the top of the bridge to leave sidewalls at each side. It was then cemented in place. The weather can do what it wants with this one.

At the same time I decided to excavate some of the soil around the point motor housing and replace it with some decorative gravel over a base of weed suppressing fabric. The interior of the housing was prone to getting very damp with soil around its base so I'm hoping this will ease the problem.

Turning my attention to the girder bridges on the larger viaduct I decided to paint the central pillar and the two horizontal metal bars that support the base of the bridge. The bars had begun to rust badly and the central pillar had never been painted so...black was the colour I had available.

newviaduct101.thumb.jpg.cd2208f20daca87791c3cda9a64d99e9.jpg

I just need to make the river bed a bit more realistic now.

Just before I called it a day I went along the viaduct and drilled the remaining drainage holes through the base and into the side walls - again, that had been another task left over from last year.

No trains running today but I don't mind that now. It's just great to be able to work on the things that add detail to the layout knowing that I've almost completed the track laying. I've even decided on some names for certain parts of the layout but more on that a bit later.

Torrential downpours today so no chance whatsoever of doing anything outdoors. Instead I spent some time sorting out coaches, removing them from their packaging and placing them into 'Really Useful' boxes for easier access in the future. I don't want to be taking coaches out of individual boxes when I wish to use them on the layout or packing them away again once I'm done - I want a single box holding a rake of coaches that just need placing on track and coupling together.

So far I've got boxes containing BR MK1 Pullman's in both blue/grey livery and umber/cream. I also have a rake of 12 wheel Pullman coaches which I intend using as a special 'dining' rake. I have a rake of teak LNER coaches and several rakes of standard BR MK1's in various liveries. Then there's the West Highland line MK1's and the Kyle line MK2's, both in green/cream for when I decide to ring the location changes.

In total there are in excess of 200 coaches available for use on Worsley Dale so there's always likely to be something new on view.

I mentioned earlier about thinking of names for certain parts of the layout, well I've spent ages trying to come up with unique names that won't reflect on anywhere else. I'm not trying to copy any particular location so I think it's important that any names used remove that potentiality. I never realised just how difficult it would be to compile 'new' names. Even on occasion when I thought I'd come up with something entirely new, a quick Google search proved otherwise. So in the end I have resorted to looking back in history, at the town where I was born, and to the variation of place names as referenced in Middle English.

Wherever possible I've tried to use names that actually 'mean' something, either personally to me or by way of the actual meaning of the word itself. For instance, unless I ultimately change my mind again, my main indoor station is to become SHIELING BRIDGE (Shieling pronounced SHILLING)

Why Shieling? Well the Middle English meaning of the word Shieling or Shealing is a hut or shed (for a herdsman or shepherd) so with my station being located where it is I thought that was appropriate.

The smaller of my two viaducts is to become LOW SHOTT VIADUCT simply because I like the name. The area at the end of the viaduct rounding the curve towards the tunnel will become LOW SHOTT FLATT - Shott and Flatt both being terms used in the common field system of agriculture.

The short tunnel beneath the pathway leading across the railway to the Koi pond becomes WATCH HOUSE TUNNEL. Again, I liked the name but as the tunnel is also immediately in front of our living room window, it once again seems appropriate. In a similar manner, the passing loop in that location will be known as WATCH HOUSES LOOP. As the highest point on the layout it is likely that a look-out tower or watch house located here "would have commanded an overview of the surrounding lands in all directions" and been "well placed to observe movement along the river..."

The over bridge seen in the previous photos - well that's to become TRUNDLES BRIDGE.

I really struggled to come up with a name for the larger viaduct but I have settled on STACK GILL VIADUCT, the name being derived from an actual enclosure - see below

The land between Trundles Bridge and Stack Gill Viaduct is to become STACKGARTH GILL with the river BUTTLE passing beneath the two girder bridges.

Along the bottom of the garden, the newly constructed section will be known as BUTTLEBANK. There's the possibility of a small halt being constructed in that area.

Just before the track enters the rear of the shed into the terminus there's the junction where the single track becomes two and this is to be known as MOOR DYKE JUNCTION.

The terminus station becomes CATTLE LEYS which is an earlier Middle English version of the hamlet where my mother was born (later referred to as LAITHE). As a matter of fact CATTLE LEYS LANE actually connected with SHILLING LANE so, as the two extremes of my layout, it again seems appropriate to use them together.

It's likely that one or more may change in the future but at least a few names adds a bit of life to the overall scene.

Not quite Ian. I've got a temporary full circuit in operation but the new section of line that enters the rear of the shed is actually the line that should go to the opposite side of the shed to form the small terminus 'Cattle Leys'.

I need to get some baseboard material for along the opposite wall of the shed (dunno if I can spare any more wardrobes :o ) and then I need to install a single point outside to split the temporary single line into two permanent ones, one into the main station and one into the small terminus. That will just about complete the outdoor trackwork.

I've had a mixed day, some of it pretty good and some not quite so.

The episode with the keyring cam was a bad start to the day but there was plenty of other things I could do. I cleaned the track and let my trusty old class 26 do the rounds with the track cleaner. There was two spots where power wasn't good but that's because I've yet to solder some of the rail joins. A quick fiddle with the fishplates and we were up and running - looking good.

I decided to get the 12-wheel Pullman rake out and use a sound-fitted Deltic to haul them. Not good. The Deltic doesn't like the canted curve and derailed every single time. No other loco has any problems so it's just the Deltic it seems.

I managed to capture it on a piece of track that it likes along with the 12-wheel Pullman coaches.

views018.thumb.jpg.87e410d4064a045e74c7b6674da58185.jpg

Instead I tried one of the SLW Rail Exclusive class 24's. These are amazing models, full of detail, and with DCC sound that leaves the others trailing in its wake. It's clearly audible outdoors unlike some other loco's I have. Turn the throttle and the engine responds just when you want it to. Brilliant. But when I fitted the tension lock coupling so I could use it with the Pullman's, bits started falling off :? . The bogies are so fragile, delicate. There's an amazing amount of detail but it doesn't stand up to handling all that well. I lost two pieces and then another as I tried to re-attach the first two. Finally managed to glue two back on but the third has me stumped for now. It's so fiddly. But it sounds wonderful - and I can't allow a few loose bits to dampen my spirits.

Here's the class 24 minus it's bits but you wouldn't know at quick glance. It's also got the 7 coach rake of 12-wheel Pullmans in tow.

views019.thumb.jpg.3ee58b3d1bf1f81f09a3174dc595c9e3.jpg

I then decided it was time to add a few more rail bonds as even parts of the viaduct are still devoid of them, although fortunately it's been working okay up to now. So I set to on the viaduct and soldered up a few more while the weather was fine. It went pretty well and that's a few less that need doing now.

Even though there's still a lot of work to do on the layout, at least I can sit back and let a train circle unattended (providing it's not the Deltic that is) so I'm content to take things slowly - small steps at a time.

Been meaning to do this for some time but only just got round to it - measuring my two viaducts and comparing them against a real life structure.

According to Google, Ribblehead Viaduct (for comparison purposes) has 24 arches over a total length of 400 metres, and at its highest point it stands 32 metres above ground.

My smaller viaduct, now named Low Shott Viaduct, has 12 arches over 280cm total length and stands 37cm at its highest point. In real money that would be approximately 213 metres long and 28 metres high.

My larger build, Stack Gill Viaduct, has 32 arches and an overall length (including the two girder bridges) of 928cm which equates to round about 707 metres in real terms, and the final block is 80cm above ground level. That's a measurement, at its highest point, of almost 61 metres in real money.

Final comparison -

Time to construct Ribblehead Viaduct - approx 4 years

Time to complete Stack Gill Viaduct - ditto :oops:

The video's a bit shaky at the beginning but here's the Rail Exclusive class 24 in action as it approaches Stack Gill viaduct with a rake of seven 12-wheel Pullman coaches. It really does sound good.

It's been a day of doing bits of all sorts on Worsley Dale. There's been some running, some derailments, track adjustments, soldering, wiring, and a whole lot of wondering if it's all really worth it.

Because the Deltic doesn't like my canted curves around Low Shott Flatt, I decided to take the packing out altogether. Not easy considering the track has been down for 3 years and had been ballasted, but it may have been a bit too much and on a preserved line I'm sure there's really not so much need. Anyway, packing out, ballasted scraped away and the line hoovered of debris. The Deltic trundled round for half a dozen laps or so with a rake of coaches in tow and then came to grief once more in the very same spot. I need to take another look later. Anyway, D9008 was rescued and was soon back on shed taking on fuel.

views020.thumb.jpg.30c3abf96dcbfe0bab13ac72bb80c2de.jpg

Not entirely sure why any fuel was needed after the little bit of running it managed to do but there you go.

I so want to get this loco running well because it sounds so good - even when it's just throbbing away alongside the platform. In fact it's a wonderful soundtrack to leave playing in the background.

D9008 didn't like the indoor station either but that's partly my fault because I had still to wire in some rail droppers and install the Hex Frog Juicer I purchased last August. I tested the point frog's that were causing D9008 problems and they were completely dead. Don't waste your money buying SEEP PM1 point motors for the convenience of the internal switch - they don't last two minutes in the environment of a garden shed. Installing the frog juicer took me a while as it accepts 6 frog outputs but it was well worth it in the end - much improved running, even with D9008.

To improve matters further I even went as far as adding the remaining rail droppers - well it was chucking it down outside by this time so it was either the shed or pack in and retreat to the house.

Earlier in the day even 26024 had a little stutter in the inner loop section near to Watch House tunnel. I tested the power feed and there was a dead section of rail that I hadn't had problems with before so it was out with the soldering iron and power restored. I quite enjoy putting things right which is just as well because that's how I seem to spend the majority of my layout time.

It's been a very busy day on the Worsley Dale garden railway with numerous loco's making an appearance.

locoview001.thumb.jpg.2f6f5cbed431f66826eed9de4a840a98.jpg

First on shed was a Hornby sound-fitted class 31 233 in Petroleum livery, reblown with Howes sounds. A good runner with decent sound so one that should appear often in the future.

locoview002.thumb.jpg.468229b922d77b2b82e3f4bae0e99adb.jpg

37905 is one of a pair of class 37 'heavyweights' produced by Bachmann exclusively for Kernow Model Centre. This one is fitted with Legomanbiffo 'Ruston' sounds. It is seen here about to depart Shilling Park with a rake of seven BR (WR) MK1 coaches.

locoview003.thumb.jpg.572542934daafdd7fa7e55927599d8f8.jpg

56040 'OYSTERMOUTH' is a standard Hornby model fitted with Legomanbiffo class 56 sounds. Pictured on shed awaiting its turn of duty.

locoview004.thumb.jpg.47aa9f4db7b398c151c0def185963994.jpg

56040 again, this time taking on fuel before its next turn.

locoview005.thumb.jpg.5fd7d78b4c8330a9bf8cbf5362d4972c.jpg

56040 is joined on shed by DP2. DP2 is a Heljan model fitted with Howes sounds. A good runner.

locoview006.thumb.jpg.51d519d4b8bed45b62bb78c284c9bd9f.jpg

37906 is the second 'Kernow' class 37 'heavyweight' and like 37905 it is fitted with Legomanbiffo 'Ruston' sounds.

locoview007.thumb.jpg.a9ab46530831761eb55cd00418031c35.jpg

Here's DP2 shortly after leaving Shilling Park station, making its way across Low Shott viaduct with the 12-wheel Pullman coaches

locoview008.thumb.jpg.fdc032cf7a0d140f9c827e377b5490cf.jpg

37905 crosses Stack Gill viaduct running light engine.

locoview009.thumb.jpg.3701eb72ab43c7f40e10473ecdebe01e.jpg

A Bachmann class 101 DMU in BR Blue crosses Low Shott viaduct as it nears Shilling Park station. A very smooth runner.

locoview010.thumb.jpg.26d2b7fd5a26aacbd0834c406a032f33.jpg

Locos on shed, now joined by D55 in BR Green

locoview011.thumb.jpg.7b94d029b303341ccefc9756e4aebe28.jpg

Crossing the girder bridges on Stack Gill viaduct, here's a 3-car Bachmann class 108 DMU in BR Green. This is the first time this one has been run since the days of the old Selby Garden Railway and it's in need of lubrication and a good clean by the sound of it.

locoview012.thumb.jpg.460df08daddf6a9694bfd296ee4366a1.jpg

DP2 runs into platform 2 on Shilling Park station with the Pullman coaches

Apart from time spent taking all those photos in the previous post, I've also had some remedial work to do on the outdoor points near Low Shott viaduct. Yesterday I was full of praise for the 'frog juicer' I installed in the shed but today I am reminded just how delicate they can be when sited outdoors, even when you think you've got them pretty much safely under cover.

My class 45 began stuttering as it crossed over the point frog so I checked it for power and there was nothing. I removed the lid from the point enclosure and opened up the plastic container in which the frog juicer was housed. The juicer was warm so I assume it had been working but try as I might, I couldn't get it working again. There was power going into it but nothing coming out to the frog in either running direction. Looks like that's the second one I've fried.

So as a stop gap measure until I can sort out something more permanent, I decided to make a manual change over using some wire and a couple of copper-clad sleepers. You can just about make then out in the top left corner of the point housing. The plastic box to the right is where the frog juicer was located so I'm not sure whether or not it simply overheated.

points15.thumb.jpg.a9aa06073e252d922f6624dd0235ebed.jpg

Anyway, the copper-clad sleepers are glued to the side wall and power feed wires soldered to them. Two pieces of wire were then soldered to the sleepers, one to each sleeper, and formed in a way that they contact the bolt attached to the operating arm of the central locking motor. When the point is set in one direction the bolt is in contact with one of the wires and when set in the opposite direction it makes contact with the other wire. The wire from the frog is then soldered to the top of the bolt.

It works great but I could do with wire that's a bit springier for the contacts as the copper wire I've used is a bit too soft. I'll need to take a better look at using this kind of manual power switching rather than keep spending a tenner or so on a frog juicer, especially if they're going to keep dying on me.

roddy said:

.... I can only guess about the frog juicer, but I reckon it's a fine line between keeping it free of moisture, yet having adequate ventilation.

Same as everything else Roddy, we're working with products that aren't intended for outdoor use.

These past few days, more than at any other time I can recall, have made me realise just what we're up against in trying to build an OO gauge line outdoors, but they've also given me renewed faith that it's entirely feasible. We just need to look at things differently and accept the necessary compromises. I've spent a lot of time over the last two days putting things right and trying to get other things working again - the kind of tasks/chores that might put someone off altogether. But I'll be honest, I've really enjoyed it.

I'm not mechanically minded at all but I can see that a mechanical solution to the frog juicer problem is the way to go rather than chancing it with delicate electronics. It's also much more fun.

It's been a similar scenario with the canted curves. They look great but I'm not working with stable baseboards and the slightest movement in either the plywood base or the felt topping and the canted curves can become very problematic. So I've reverted to standard curves - back to basics - which is the advice I'd offer from now on. To be honest you can barely tell the difference other than the fact that certain loco's that derailed on the canted curves now run more or less trouble free. I also try to run at scale speeds - my pet hate is seeing trains racing round sharp curves that in 1:1 scale would be enough to have the loco on its side.

But not everything has to be 100% correct by any means. I have several sections of track that I wish I'd installed better, taken more time with etc. I have a very basic panel in the shed for changing the inside points - stud and probe fashion - only mine are some old nuts and washers in combination with the probe off an electric circuit tester. It's very crude, but with a bit of care and thought it does actually work okay - even if I do keep forgetting to change the points when I should. It's not something I would want to video and yet I've run several different trains for a good few hours today and had only one unexplained derailment - the others were all my own doing.

It can be successful and very enjoyable without having to be absolutely perfect.

mick said:

\ said:

.... I can only guess about the frog juicer' date=' but I reckon it's a fine line between keeping it free of moisture, yet having adequate ventilation.[/quote']

Same as everything else Roddy, we're working with products that aren't intended for outdoor use.

I think I might be tempted to return it to the supplier for checking and to see whether the problem was caused by overheating or moisture ingress. It might persuade the makers to produce something more robust.

You say you are not mechanically minded but the switching arrangement using the copper-clad sleepers seems to disprove that!