Worsley Dale Garden Railway

mick

I feel like I've had a really good day today. I was up early(ish) and out to the DIY to get the few bits I needed. Thankfully I managed to avoid all the idiots it seems are intent on sharing their road traffic accident with you - gee, I was relieved to get back to the safety of my own garden. Anyway, back safely I was and without any further ado I was up and running. Lunch could wait until later.

I got the two remaining posts drilled and my bits of old pallet fastened in place. An additional length of timber batten was fastened behind each bracket as before so as to have something to screw through into the pallet - this also makes them easier to adjust for height - at least I think it does.

The wider of my two pre-coated baseboards was then trimmed with timber battens and some additional bracing added using the same material. Out with the bitumen again and it wasn't long before the board was adorned with it's protective coat of roofing felt. Here it is resting on the aforementioned brackets:

bottomgarden11.thumb.jpg.4574f8699f577a806e9e3d9ce53fe9b8.jpg

You can see from the above photo just how little remains to be done in this area. If you're still wondering what I intend doing here then perhaps the next photo will explain:

bottomgarden13.thumb.jpg.ac489c6922e2dbc741ba7eb473ec75eb.jpg

I've rested the two narrow lengths of plywood in place to show where each will be going. Left goes to the fiddle yard and right into the indoor station. I've not done anything else here just yet but as you can see, there isn't that much to do.

Here's a view from along the bottom fence with the end of the baseboard I completed the other day to the left and the one I did earlier today centre right. In the corner is the short curve section still awaiting construction.

bottomgarden12.thumb.jpg.09203516f05036df98f415761ec9f27f.jpg

Finally, I've made a start improving the underfoot conditions by laying down some more gravel. Can't believe how much you need for just a short area but I can add to this as I go along. For now, even if it rains, I have access to the main area.

bottomgarden14.thumb.jpg.1c93fdd38aed73f902b0f79ae3325d2c.jpg

Perhaps I need to make a start compiling a summer timetable?

Hi Mick, yeah you sure did have a good day going by the pics, not far to go now only the corner section now be interesting what you have planned for tomorrow's days work, possible mountain scene with a tunnel.

I had a busy day at the train show yesterday, didn't get much of a chance t take lots of pics what I did see was only one British layout with a canal scene, mostly American layouts was asked if I could my layout in next year, will depend on transport of the layout, as they had some G scale track on the floor, popular with kids.

Amazing people do not take notice of signs as I pulled a few up trying to do a short cut down the side of the building.

Bottom pic before the show opened and top pic later on during the day, is it mothers day in England on Sunday the 8th.

The layout in front of the pics is an European layout, had a working wind turbine, more pics on my post.

Going outside to paint the corner module and the first curve section to the spiral.

Won't be long before we see the very first passenger train complete Worseley Dale, all that heavy work paid off.

Tony from down under, perfect weather over here. ;);):roll:

IMG_0512  a.jpg

IMG_0528  a.jpg

Today it's on to the section I haven't been looking forward to doing - the curve. I'm not sure why that is but let's get it out of the way if we can.

Using the one remaining wide board I have left I cut the angles to fit between the two straight sections, added some bracing along the edges and across its width and rested it in position on top of timber battens screwed to the straights.

bottomgarden15.thumb.jpg.f11c82eaedc50d71b0a1bd50f1f0f04a.jpg

I need to make the curve as gentle as possible while still giving me unhindered access round to the rear of the sheds. There's no way I'm going to fit a 7 feet radius curve in here so this has to be a compromise so to ease the curve as much as possible I've added some additional angled sections:

bottomgarden16.thumb.jpg.3d1ada4b84a3ab653fe7837451527984.jpg

I'm not sure what radius the curve is but looking at it I feel relatively happy. It's about as good as I'm going to get and still be able to get round to the rear of the sheds.

Now I need to get the roofing felt and bitumen out again to finish it all off.

Another update with this afternoons progress.

The curved section has now been covered in roofing felt. It was touch and go as I ended up having to use every last drop of adhesive so I need to get some more tomorrow. The job was made more difficult than it needed to be due to the fact that I'd already covered the straight boards with felt so cutting out this angled section was a bit frustrating at times, however, we've got there and it's done. The sunshine in the camera lens doesn't help with the photos.

bottomgarden17.thumb.jpg.f2b8667a09c944042ef65b5f69daf46e.jpg

I estimate that the radius of the curve is between 4 and 5 feet so it's come out better than I first thought.

With the curve out of the way I made a start on the two remaining sections that join up to the shed. The first one is for the currently unbuilt fiddle yard or smaller station - still haven't decided which it will be. This enters the shed on the left side and will run along the opposite wall to the existing indoor station.

bottomgarden18.thumb.jpg.eca0ae9be8be946ff6aa98d124a34511.jpg

The next section to be constructed is the one that completes the garden circuit and this one enters the shed to the right directly into the indoor station. You can see both these boards in the following photo - the right hand one being the one that enters into the station area.

bottomgarden19.thumb.jpg.ab70be076d33bb03a79f1845ebd28222.jpg

They will be covered in roofing felt when I get some more adhesive and then the access holes can be cut into the shed.

All that remains now is for me to fix the curve section in place between the end of the large viaduct and the straight boards along the bottom garden fence. The curve was cut some time ago and just requires fixing in position so it won't take long.

traingeekboy said:

...I didn't remember that you needed to have a diverging route for the other terminal.

I hadn't originally planned for that to happen Griff but now it seems like a good idea. It gives the railway a 'destination' rather than having trains circling round all the time. I enjoy leaving them to loop round while sitting back watching but when you want to have a 'play' then you need somewhere to go to and somewhere to come from. Does that make sense? It also means I could have additional trains out at the same time so that's an added bonus.

I run a loop, with a a terminus branch at both "ends". One terminus is on the inside of the loop and the other on the outside. This system does allow for much more varied operation. I'm thinking about a way of running it as an end to end with single track sections and passing loops.

Baimor said:

Looking good Mick! I can see a running session imminent. Your APTe is going to look fantastic running along there and crossing your viaduct mate. Mark

Yes indeed Mark, we're getting close to a full running session now although I'm not sure the APT-E will feature too often. I'm sure it will make the occasional appearance but I plan on having a few select loco's operating the line and the APT-E wasn't one of those I had in mind. But the layout's going to portray a preserved line 50% of the time so that leaves the door ajar for anything.

So yes, with all the baseboards now in place we are getting close to seeing the first complete lap of Worsley Dale - all that remains is to add some intermediate supports to some of the elevated boards and to get some track down. There's also a couple of boards that need securing as they're just resting in position at the moment, but as you can see, the two boards at the rear of the shed have their coat of roofing felt....

bottomgarden20.thumb.jpg.61b8800871b7b7e4b04fbbda19df6e03.jpg

...and the viaduct now has it's forwarding curve in place - though there's still work to do with that.

bottomgarden21.thumb.jpg.a999f8c01953a9f941424cf1bf4eca59.jpg

The viaduct board is actually 2 layers of 18mm plywood so at 36mm it is pretty sturdy but I still feel it needs a central support. I didn't want to hit clout nails into the plywood edges so I've left the overhang loose for now until I get some staples. Once it's fastened in place I can trim it neat.

Unfortunately it's forecast rain tomorrow but how much and for how long I'm not sure. Another couple of dry days would have been great and might have seen some running but I'm still hopeful that perhaps by the weekend I can have a complete circuit of track - maybe not the whole shebang but a bit of something.

It will be great to be able to forget about constructing and start thinking of improving the scenery along the line. Every day I walk past the spot where I was supposed to be adding a small overbridge and it's been like that for a couple of years now. I also want to disguise the end of the viaduct where it crosses onto the elevated board - still thinking about that one. And then there's the straight boards along the bottom fence - I'm sure I can do something with those too. Best of all I'll soon be able to say "I've got a garden railway" rather than being continually in the process of building one.

It'll be well worth it when it's up and running Mick. I staple my felt underneath the baseboards. Saves having to be as neat with your cuts and looks a bit more 'finished'. Buts that's just my opinion. I don't know what kind of stapler you have but I have a stanley stapler that takes 10mm stakes and I find my local wilko store have them at the best price if that helps mate. I think I pay about £2.39 for a pack of 1000. Regards. Mark

roddy said:

Better to do the felt Mick's way. It forms a drip, and stops water soaking the underside of the board.

That's the tip I received during construction of my Selby layout so I've always trimmed the edges without tucking them underneath since then.

The rain has arrived in South Yorkshire this morning - it's not heavy just yet but the radar image shows there's more intense stuff on the way. I can't see me getting any track laid today no matter how much I would like to.

Baimor said:

..I don't know what kind of stapler you have but I have a stanley stapler that takes 10mm stakes and I find my local wilko store have them at the best price if that helps mate. I think I pay about £2.39 for a pack of 1000...

Mine's a Stanley as well and I get the staples via Amazon for a similar price - saves going out shopping! I tend to rely on the staples just to hold the felt in place after coating the base wood with bitumen adhesive - the black stuff should do it's thing after that.

Afternoon Mick, I was wondering how you going to tackle the curved section after the viaduct with that roof felt, would of taken you a while, get the cut right every time, a pity I can't get that roof felt over here,.

Came up with a solution, had a 4 litre tin of white under coat coloured close to the colour of your felt and plan to lightly sprinkle with medium sand to get the same affect, should be ok, or leave the section with the under coat, will have a go after I get the trains up and running, you will be up and running .

Great idea as well with having a terminus station where you can hold a train and other trains leaving , I will have the same on my layout, especially on stage two of the station module complex.

Have to agree what Roddy and Mark are saying, pure awesome Mick.

Days are getting cooler and shorter now, getting dark around 6pm.

Tony from down under

aussietmrail said:

Afternoon Mick, I was wondering how you going to tackle the curved section after the viaduct with that roof felt....

Still trying to think of some ideas to finish it off. I've been considering making it into a feature bridge but maybe I'm just asking too much of myself. I suppose some beading along the sides to prevent anything toppling over will be as good as anything unless I find myself with nothing else to do and hit upon a brainwave.

aussietmrail said:

....Days are getting cooler and shorter now, getting dark around 6pm...

Just the opposite over here as I'm sure you're aware Tony. Nice time of year but...having said that....it's tipping it down at the moment and I'm indoors looking for little jobs to do simply to pass the time.

re staple guns.

At the risk of getting drummed out of the Brownies l use one to staple track down. Easier to pull staples out rather than pins and minumum damage. If using outside try to get Archive staples, there the copper looking ones as the dont rust. There hard to find in gun size though.

Ooops! Thanks for the advice guys. I never thought of leaving the felt sides longer to allow water to drip off!! Was just trying to make it look neater. Advice heeded and my new (replacement) sections will be done as instructed. I'll consider myself educated. Lol! Mark

Yes, there's another passing loop as part of the indoor station Griff but just the one on the outdoor section. I don't think it needs any more. There will also be the diverging track to the fiddle yard which I suppose in a way could count as another passing point. I'll have to draw up a layout plan to make everything clearer.

We've been having some work done in the house today so there's not been much time for the railway. I have managed to staple the felt around the curve that comes off the viaduct and I'm now on the lookout for something to create a barrier/border around it - mainly to prevent stock toppling over the edge but also to enhance its appearance. The photo shows some concrete sleeper track running across it - this was just temporary to gauge the radius of the curve - it's likely that the track here will be wooden sleeper.

bottomgarden22.thumb.jpg.2a56f14f462f13d9b3ed363dbc8cbf51.jpg

Speaking of wooden sleepers, I spent some time reclaiming more track from my old Selby layout. I've been cutting out any damaged sleepers and discarding them so that I can reuse the remaining lengths. The track's in good condition so it would be daft not to.

bottomgarden23.thumb.jpg.2ab376e315b825a4c88e3f46aca8a1be.jpg

With the damaged sleepers removed the ends of the rails will be trimmed where necessary to remove old solder residue and then the sleepers can be closed up ready for the track to be put to use again.

bottomgarden24.thumb.jpg.765a8edeb9121ced94c064d4a96abf07.jpg

I may yet change my mind about the single track off the viaduct reverting to double track along the bottom of the garden fence. Looking at it earlier, I think it may be better if it reverted to double track just before it enters the shed at the point where the newly installed boards diverge, as that allows the single track to flow better around the sharp curve immediately before. It would also give me a better viewpoint to be able to verify that the point is correctly set and with everything closer to the shed it means easier installation.

And lastly, just to keep you up to date with the current state of the existing bits of the layout, here's a view of the border between the tunnel and the smaller viaduct. The lineside vegetation is filling out nicely - in fact it's in need of trimming

borders031.thumb.jpg.414a31ab310844c82d5c63a5139c87b1.jpg

Been my number 1 rule from the beginning: NEVER DISCARD TRACK!!!

I have a couple of bags full of off-cuts and damaged points.

Shipping track from the UK to here is costly and only ever done in dire emergencies when I have to bite the bullet and pay outrageous import duties. (I'm pretty sure they make the figures up because the couple of times I've done it, the bottom line has been different.)

Hence, rule number 1.