Worsley Dale Garden Railway

mick

I don't have anything to add as the weather's kept me twiddling my thumbs all day. Good job I made the most of it last week.

One thing I didn't report earlier was the fact that I managed to get hold of a used Bachmann fuelling 'thingy' which I've set just outside the loco shed.

49a7a67253afeb745ef610227cf3cbe8.thumb.jpg.1e6eadcda6bfe94e5f3719682d87483f.jpg

It's filled the 'between-track' area nicely so the whole lot just wants grubbying up somewhat. There'll be a wall running along the edge of the cork which is why I've refrained from adding ballast down that side for now. I've still got to weather the concrete apron too.

After a couple of days away doing other things I've been out at the bottom of the garden this morning and started work shaping the viaduct arches. There's no need to be precise with the shaping, at least not in my opinion because I just like the natural look of the stone, so I began by using a suitably sized plastic plant pot to draw a rough outline of each arch. You can see from the photograph how much material needs to be filed away but fortunately the blocks carve easily and it's not such a hard task as it might seem. The following photo was taken at 9:48am......

newviaduct72.thumb.jpg.82c34cf1f89d09986ff12d8a988b525a.jpg

...and even after a couple of coffee breaks by 11:56am this is what I'd done....

newviaduct73.thumb.jpg.50122aa82ac7559d6529366556fbe2ca.jpg

There are a couple of blocks that aren't as secure as I would like - they vibrated a bit whilst they were being shaped - so I'll force some more mortar into the gap at the top where each arch joins the next. Nothing to worry about.

I'm now going to add some shape to the intermediate support pillars just to take them back a bit at the top where they stick out a bit too much and then I'll give the front face of the whole viaduct a light sanding down to try lessen the effect of those wiggly lines that run horizontally across the blocks. I'll also be checking the top of the viaduct to ensure it's as level as possible and filing down as and where needed.

The shaped arches make it look much more like a viaduct - another big task out of the way.

drmalesis said:

Great work Mick, that's a really impressive looking structure - can't wait to see it in action...

Same here Duncan. Not be too long now I hope but I've learned that your plans can change in an instant so we'll just have to see how things go this time. I'm not making any promises.

I've now shaped the tops of the three intermediate/end support blocks so that they allow a better view of the viaduct curve. I've even had a half-hearted attempt at including the viaduct's year of completion to the middle support block. It will do.

newviaduct74.thumb.jpg.cc69781975227f8ebc783e8994774567.jpg

The shaped blocks allow the curve of the viaduct to be seen more clearly, making the individual sections appear less angular than they did before.

newviaduct75.thumb.jpg.e2b16bc6991301190a5eacbd7ae41057.jpg

newviaduct76.thumb.jpg.53b2268ea13468ec22489c14f62c816a.jpg

Still a bit of work to do sanding down and then I'll be adding a coat of 'waterseal', although standing on top of the support wall I don't expect this part of the viaduct to suffer much from the wet. Oh and of course, there are still the parapet walls to do along the top.

I really wanted to finish off adding the parapet walls to the viaduct today but in the end the monotonous task of cutting the previously sliced aerated blocks into even smaller sections proved just too much for my fingers to bear. I've just about fixed all the flat pieces in place across both new sections of the viaduct and added the walls along the top of one section. The photos should explain what I mean.

newviaduct78.thumb.jpg.8ecae55cfac410012e864a008ebe4d4b.jpg

newviaduct77.thumb.jpg.7d196d74c5d60514f2ac1559e45f34e1.jpg

I've chosen to use a 'Waterproof No More Nails' adhesive and it seems to work just fine. Apparently it will set hard even if it gets wet but hopefully the weather will stay fine long enough for me to get it finished tomorrow before there's a chance of putting that to the test. The parapet walls are a bit rough and ready at the moment but that will all change once the adhesive has completely hardened and I can sand them smooth and level. The addition of the walls really does bring the viaduct to life.

I was in B&Q today looking for some flexible plastic (I was thinking of lawn edging material) that I could fasten along the top of the breeze blocks on either side of the viaduct to create a cavity at the base of the viaduct piers into which I could add gravel. The only stuff they had was a thin corrugated type which I thought might prove difficult to fasten in place. My local garden centre also had nothing suitable and so instead I've decided to try a narrow 'log roll'. Hopefully that waterproof No More Nails will hold it in place, even if I have to cut it into smaller or even individual sections first. There's going to be a border along the front of the aerated blocks, perhaps with some more Box plants, that will hide the wall itself although the wall may have a covering of mortar first.

It's coming along nicely and I'm just glad I decided to make a start.

If you're fed up with hearing about the viaduct then turn away now.

I've got the remainder of the parapet walls stuck in place today, except for the ones at the very end where I need to think of what comes next (transition onto elevated boards) before fixing them down permanently. The ones I fixed down yesterday had dried sufficiently for me to begin sanding them to shape and here's the first part of the viaduct with most of the walls (apart from those in the immediate foreground) sanded.

newviaduct80.thumb.jpg.35aaf53abe0c06bde1ad2c1689ef6fb8.jpg

Compare the sanded section (above) with the section I have only just glued in position and which are yet to be sanded down (below).

newviaduct82.thumb.jpg.50b4c613a5ef7e68215c8f3ec89f9af8.jpg

The tops of the buttresses (thanks again for that Roddy!) have also had walls glued in place around them creating overscale 'refuges' or places of safety. The buffer stop marks the previous limit of operation.

newviaduct79.thumb.jpg.7e6e632414d766f7852ea40cdca0d135.jpg

Here's a view from the buffer stop looking along the new section of viaduct. Nice smooth walls on view and also a nice gentle curve. Soon be time to extend that running line!

newviaduct83.thumb.jpg.c9d1fd244f286785a69b7d4020c280d1.jpg

And now to the area immediately in front of the viaduct. I mentioned fixing some log roll in place along the top of the concrete blocks in order to create a void around the viaduct piers that I can fill with gravel - well I've made a start on that too.

newviaduct84.thumb.jpg.01e42533e0c5374d4370c19feb2d4804.jpg

It might look a little strange right now but I think this will be okay when the gravel is in place and the border is built up a little bit and planted. Providing the log roll stays in place then I'm quite happy with how this is turning out. The rocks seen towards the left centre of the above photo will be removed and a wall built in their place to hold back the higher ground. I'm thinking a nice low wall with a wide top would be a nice place to sit and view the action along the viaduct. The bare ground immediately in front of the new border will be covered in gravel.

Well Mick you've certainly pulled out all the stops since I last came over. Looks like it will soon be time for the grand opening ceremony, send me an invite!

Isn't it possible to put a few frame fixings through that log roll as added security?

IanR said:

...Isn't it possible to put a few frame fixings through that log roll as added security?

I've actually cut the log roll up into pairs Ian, two pieces of log roll on each, so I'm hoping they'll be okay like that. I've used the No More Nails to fix them in place and they are rock solid at the moment. Have to see what they're like once they get wet but there's no pressure against them - they only have to sit there looking pretty.

Today I've sanded down the remaining parapet walls and rounded off the tops. That's the viaduct more or less completed apart from a few cosmetic touches. There are a few pockmarks on some of the piers that I want to fill in but I've saved all the sanded off dust in order to mix some with a bit of cement - hopefully it will be the same colour as the blocks themselves when dried. With the parapet walls sanded and rounded it gives a much better appearance along the top of the viaduct:

newviaduct85.thumb.jpg.b11faf3e8c8e3879c170cd5251ffc729.jpg

roddy said:

....All that's needed is some decorative spandrels :lol::lol::lol: (runs away to hide)

Absolutely no chance Roddy :lol:

As you can see in the first photo I've made a start on the border in front of the viaduct - again just some simple log roll set into the ground but it'll be okay. It also gives me the opportunity to use up some of the spent compost I have sitting around the garden. I've removed the rocks that were holding back the upper garden and temporarily replaced them with some wide concrete blocks I had left over from building the koi pond until I make a firm decision on what to do there.

newviaduct86.thumb.jpg.c5404ea620394569848decbd60559ca9.jpg

Just need to choose something now to plant in the border that will fill the area against the concrete blocks and up to the tops of the log rolls.

newviaduct87.thumb.jpg.cd765cb89960fe960ec1b28537a0e2c5.jpg

I'm short of materials again so there's not a lot more I can other than tidy things up until I make another trip to the DIY centre. It would have been nice to get the bare earth covered as there's a forecast for rain over the next couple of days but I don't feel like making the trip today.

Out of all the photos I've taken during the construction of the new viaduct I've struggled to find a pair that show a before and after image of the same area. It seems I didn't take any before I started on 'phase two' and so the only two I can match at the moment are the following:

newviaduct88.thumb.jpg.d40a3ec570d8dfcd9b5d5d7e896c59a6.jpg

The top section of the image was taken on the 9th September 2015 and the lower section was taken earlier today on the 20th September. I really don't know what's taken me so long to get to this stage when all it needed was 11 days - and during that time I've also been away from home on two occasions!

I do spend some time looking back over all the photos I've taken during construction of Worsley Dale and I find it interesting to see how things have developed and how the garden has been changed. I'm not always sure it's been a change for the better in everyone's eyes but you only live once and so it's best to do what you want to do while you still can.

I was actually pleased with the viaduct before the latest extension but now I think it's magnificent - it's everything that I had hoped it would be. I really like the natural finish of the aerated blocks, especially after a light sanding when they take on a pale grey colour with a 'granite' appearance - wiggly lines excepted. If ever we move house, which is admittedly very unlikely, I'm not sure what I'll have to do to improve on this one, other than making it longer still and adding some spandrels ;) Oh the beauty of a forum for making suggestions Roddy.

I hope my few days of work has motivated some of you into doing that little bit more. The forum's pretty quiet at the moment so it would be great to see progress elsewhere too.

HI Mick, very nice indeed in all departments, I like the buttress construction on your viaduct, thought they were just for show but have a place in supporting the viaduct and used in building as well

Love the way you have finished the base of the viaduct to blend in with your garden, is your shed just beyond the end of the viaduct behind the tree, what's the plan to connect the final section.

Here is a pic example of the clock tower I will be building on my terminus station building, which the drawing plan is coming along nicely still a way off before I make a start.

You are on the home stretch now and looking forward to see the fist train running across the viaduct be awesome, I love single track running with passing loops, makes it interesting and especially when you friend running on the layout as well is what I have planned.

Tony from Down under, it is raining this week as well over here.

Central station clock a.jpg

aussietmrail said:

...I like the buttress construction on your viaduct, thought they were just for show but have a place in supporting the viaduct and used in building as well.....

Yes, I've used them simply for that reason in that they give support to the whole structure.

aussietmrail said:

... is your shed just beyond the end of the viaduct behind the tree, what's the plan to connect the final section....

If you can imagine my garden as a square, the end of the viaduct is located in the top left corner and my shed is in the centre of the right edge. I've still got some 30 feet or so to go to join the two together but once I make a start on the remaining bit I'm hoping it will be much quicker than it was doing the viaduct sections.

We've had steady rain over the past twelve hours and it's only just eased off. The new viaduct has had a good soaking and so too have the wooden log rolls I've fixed to the front of the concrete blocks. I've had a good look at everything and it all seems as solid now as it did yesterday with no give in the adhesive. Waterproof 'no more nails' has so far done a pretty good job.

You might be pleased to hear that I'm coming to the end of the story regarding the new viaduct extension and that there'll probably be fewer photos from here on in. According to the 'gallery' I've included 90 photographs during the construction of this viaduct but that does include 'phase one' as well as the recent 'phase two'. Anyway, the main construction is completed, the finishing touches are almost done, landscaping is under way and so it's probably time to move on. But before I do, here's a final couple of photos showing the viaduct with the addition of some buff coloured gravel around the bottom of the piers (and buttresses!)

newviaduct90.thumb.jpg.92da233237b545d47d7a5056d464d988.jpg

I decided to extend the gravel along half of the 'phase one' construction too but I still need to provide a means to access this part for track cleaning and so on.

newviaduct89.thumb.jpg.aa3ec66fc559807da839441563ad9913.jpg

I've built a retaining wall out of blocks and can now plant out that raised section too so the bottom of the garden is now looking relatively tidy and the addition of more gravel covering the bare ground also means it's now accessible even if it does decide to rain.

Time to get some track down along the viaduct extension I think.

Today has been a day for tidying things up rather than getting on with any more layout construction. As I've continued to work my way down the garden, so the rubbish and other material I no longer need has been pushed ahead of me until there's now very little room left for it to go and so it was time for a trip to the local recycling centre. I also had several builders sacks of topsoil and spent compost that had been removed from other areas of the garden but now that I'm beginning to sort the borders out I've been able to find room to replace most of it and spread it around. It's a great feeling to see cleared spaces.

I still have a large pile of rocks to dispose of although I have been able to utilise some of these today. I mentioned the need to make a walkway along part of the viaduct so that I can access it easily for track cleaning - well I've sunk a few large rocks alongside the log roll and gravel infill.

newviaduct91.thumb.jpg.9b3c431354955a66a927b52618aba6ca.jpg

A few posts back Tony was asking how much further I had to go in order to complete the loop of the garden. Well here's a photo showing most of what's left and I've intentionally captured the end part of the viaduct to make it clearer.

newviaduct92.thumb.jpg.7b4731f4df67785f5debe7c152707a5b.jpg

The fence panels are in 6 feet sections so it's just a curve from the viaduct across to the fence and then after a straight run there's got to be another curve round the back of the blue shed to join up with the indoor section located in the other shed.

I thought I'd had another good day until late this afternoon when we had a power outage that lasted for almost 2 hours. After a few false starts, when the power did eventually return I discovered it had totally knackered the computer that runs my weather station and I've just had to hastily remove the hard drive and insert it into another computer in order to keep the weather station going. Not something I had planned on doing! Not sure where I stand with that...??