Worsley Dale Garden Railway

mick

The killer for me is those places where I have to match up the oval. You seem to have a better grip on the engineering of such things. For me it's always this trial and error fitting and refitting. But you are so close to competing the an oval. It's pretty exciting to see you hitting the home stretch.

traingeekboy said:

The killer for me is those places where I have to match up the oval. You seem to have a better grip on the engineering of such things. For me it's always this trial and error fitting and refitting....

Well I'm hoping I've got it something like Griff. I've tried a cheap laser level across from one viaduct to the other and I was reasonably satisfied that they're still pretty level but I'll not know for sure until it's time to join things up. I've got my fingers crossed which gives an indication of my expertise in this area.

The following photos show that a start has been made on the extension to the new viaduct. It's only a bit of earth moving at the moment to give an outline of the proposed route but once there's some foundations in there it won't be too long before the additional arches begin to appear.

The stones that were being used to hold back the border have been removed and others will need taking out in order to get the trench for the foundations in line with the current viaduct.

newviaduct50.thumb.jpg.66f9ed121702eb85ef30b5b6b7d45002.jpg

newviaduct51.thumb.jpg.7ea23bb28cdc32a0655dd9a175eb47ab.jpg

newviaduct52.thumb.jpg.559091a1210af575e6fe394fba9edcdb.jpg

newviaduct53.thumb.jpg.39b7a91f5af50a55e4baee5bc4816fb9.jpg

I think a couple of concrete blocks laid on their flat side will raise the foundations to the necessary level for the viaduct arches and give them ample support. Once they are in place I plan to replace the large stones in front of, and behind the viaduct and fill in, probably with decorative stone or gravel to the base of the arches, but that's something I can decide later.

Hi Mick work is finely under way on stage one of the final home stretch, going by the digging out of the foundations for that curve viaduct is going to be pretty awesome.

Will you be continuing the straight viaduct to join up with the curve viaduct.

Had some pretty hot weather this week 41 degrees on Monday, cool change coming in this Monday with rain, need it bad, losing plants, hosing them is just keeping them going, driest October in record.

Look forward to more project, I should of done more work in winter, going to be a long hot summer.

Tony.

traingeekboy said:

Oh man. Nice to see your vision coming along. I now see how it will look in my minds eye as I follow that foundation trench. Viaduct seems like the best way to go and it'll be truly impressive to run the long rakes over that.

I agree - it's much easier to see what I'm trying to achieve now that there's a definite line to follow. In fact the more I look at it the more I believe I've made the right decision. Looking across the garden from the far side of the first viaduct, the newer viaduct just cries out for some additional arches.

The following photos probably only repeat what I've previously shown but I like the view across the garden with both viaducts in view - and notice how the older viaduct is beginning to green up. That's probably the natural yoghurt!

newviaduct54.thumb.jpg.bc60b824143b2bcbb1cc7ec16a9b7324.jpg

And I can now begin to visualise what an extra 16 or so arches is going to look like as the viaduct rounds the curve towards the bottom of the garden. Sure, the extension is going to have to be built up but it only needs a low foundation wall to act as a base for the new arches. I'm sure it's going to be worth it and when the gardens planted up it should all come together nicely.

newviaduct55.thumb.jpg.7ba4c5d63c97e7d804c70131e2ce20d1.jpg

On the new viaduct you'll notice the aerated block on the end that I've cemented in place endways on to give the structure more strength. I probably should have done that at each end where the girder bridges are located but never mind, it feels strong enough without that additional support. The extension to the viaduct will have similar blocks cemented end ways on every 8 arches to give it strength and stability. I think 16 arches should just about get me where I want to be.

Hi Mick, I like that last pic looking across form the older viaduct to the new one on the other side of the yard, pretty awesome, one other good thing is you don't have to do any mowing.

Can't get over the yogurt thing using it to make the moss affect, did you have any trouble with ants, we have a lot of problems with ants in our back yard, the small black ones are a pain, they bite.

That always happens after trying something and realizing you could of done the same to the other ends of the viaduct, could you cut some strips of those blocks and glue them on to match that end block, going to look when finished even better seeing a train crossing the steel viaduct from the other side of the yard.

How did you go with Halloween Friday night, same as in the US, we had a few door bell rings, I said sorry no sweats, some sure go to a lot of trouble dressing up for a few hours.

Mick, Those photos show what's afoot and it looks like an exciting stage for the work. I'm also impressed by your defiance of shorter days and the arrival of winter. Good luck with keeping to whatever schedule you have in mind, and thanks for keeping us posted on progress.

Andrew said:

Mick, Those photos show what's afoot and it looks like an exciting stage for the work. I'm also impressed by your defiance of shorter days and the arrival of winter.....

Just need to get myself down to the local DIY and bring home a load of building materials so that I can make a start.

The West of Scotland is one of our favourite places to visit so it will come as no surprise to learn that I've become more interested in its railway scenery. I think that's one of the reasons why I decided a single track line over my viaducts would be appealing. If only I could reproduce the mountains and Lochs to go with them! Anyway, I've started to accumulate a stock of Scottish loco's and rolling stock, most recently a rake of OTA timber wagons. I'm now looking out for a decent supply of small twigs so that I can construct a number of realistic log loads for them to convey. I don't normally bother too much about detailing even though I know it's something I should be doing, but on this occasion, as with my 16t mineral wagons, I'm really looking forward to weathering and producing those log loads. The Bachmann OTA wagons come complete with an imitation log load but it's not the effect I'm looking for, while the Hornby models do not include any. Looking back through my stock of model railway magazines I found an article on using real twigs to build realist log loads and knew immediately that was the way I wanted to go. It's one of those tasks that's going to be laborious and so time consuming but for some strange reason I tend to be able to devote myself to those sort of jobs.

I've also acquired a decent rake of West Highland MK1 coaches in green and cream livery and again, although I'm not usually too concerned about the smaller details, there's a couple of coaches that have duplicate running numbers and I would like to renumber them. I've discovered what coach numbers actually made up the set so now I need to source some suitable transfers.

Perhaps I've finally arrived at my area of specific interest and can begin looking at things in a whole new light? Perhaps it will make disposing of a good amount of my surplus collection easier to bear?

I have to agree with others, the double rainbow... uhm viaduct shot, is truly splendid.

Getting rid of old stuff you do not need is mostly just a hassle. I have never regretted getting rid of all of my wargaming things, and all of my unused railroad items, so long as I knew it was going to a good home. And the extra money from selling off old stuff just means you can get more new stuff. hee hee hee :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mick, I used to swap older trains and sell trains to buy new rolling stock have done well, latest sell was some British mark 1 coaches red and cream and a Bachman blue Deltic loco and enough money to buy two sets of 5 RTR spine cars, should of kept the Deltic loco would of gone well with the rack of maroon mark1 coaches I bought for the Flying Scot.

Finely have you tube video link of my Flying running on the club layout on my post.

A question have you had any report form other members using iPad especially with the IOS8 update, since then I can't open any page on the forum, don't know what the problem is even logged in and that did work, just got as far as the home page, lap top is fine, haven't tried the iPhone 6 yet

Glad I don't live in Brisbane near the city with that G20sumet going on, stinking hot here too, not inside, peaked 41 degrees 28 degrees inside tomorrow is worse, send some cool air my way :mrgreen:

aussietmrail said:

...A question have you had any report form other members using iPad especially with the IOS8 update, since then I can't open any page on the forum, don't know what the problem is even logged in and that did work, just got as far as the home page, lap top is fine, haven't tried the iPhone 6 yet....

Not had any other reports but I believe there are some 'bugs' with the apple software. You'll have to wait and see if they release an update. I know Chris mentions he's having problems viewing images (appear out of focus) with his new iMac too. Might be better if we all go back to the old desktops!

aussietmrail said:

....Finely have you tube video link of my Flying running on the club layout on my post...

Not had chance to do anything lately Tony. Been so busy sorting things out at home that everything else has had to take a back seat for the moment. I'm sick of seeing parcels, sick of packing things up, but at least we're freeing up some space round the house and getting rid of things that really do need to go.

I will return in layout mode very soon.

Mick, found out what the issue was on the iPad, made a short cut on the front screen save going into the favourite links and works on the iPhone 6 too, saved time that way but may redo the short cut again, good for when the lap top is off, iPad says on for most of the day.

....Finely have you tube video link of my Flying running on the club layout on my post...

Typing error, left out Scot in Flying as in Flying Scot, want to do longer video clips, will need another member to operate my train, haven't found the pause on the iPhone 6 video side yet and getting used to holding the skinny phone.

EBay is probably the best way to go in selling unwanted stuff around the house, as you say having to pack items in parcels, that is what stopped me from selling all my HO scale trains and moving to another hobby or smaller scale, get non-thing for them when selling the trains to hobby shops that deal with second hand stuff, found that out, told the bloke where to go.

Inside again today, working on my new project wind turbine blades.

When does it start snowing over where you live, don't know what's worse the cold or the heat, good I you could move around the world where the climate is pleasant, hope the air-cons can cope, got two in the house, looking t getting a second whirly bird for the roof, they do work.

Will look forward to your progress work on the layout, Mick, I wish I did more last winter than I did, slow going with theses hot days, stopping me like today and when there is a nice day to work outside an appointment stuffs it up.

• 1 month later...

I'll use my thread to wish everyone a Happy New Year - I know that's a bit late but they do say it's 'better late than never'. I hope everyone had a great Christmas too.

Worsley Dale has another couple of locomotives (because it really does need them :oops: ) and if the weather's okay over the next few days I'll grab some photos and post them for you. I've cleared out a good number of my loco's in order to make room for the new arrivals and cancelled some of the new releases I had on pre-order and which I've now decided don't fall into my revised plans for either the outdoor or planned indoor set up.

Progress has been slow (at a standstill actually) with both layouts since my last newsworthy post because we now have another interest in our lives which keeps me away from the garden but allows us to spend more time out in the countryside. I'm hoping to be able to manage my time better so that I can still make progress on the layout whilst also enjoying time in the country. I do have something new on the indoor layout front to report but I'll do that later and elsewhere to save clogging up this thread.

That's about all for now but hopefully 2015 will be a much better year for us all and as well as making headway myself I'm looking forward to some of you doing the same and being able to read all about it.

Hi Mick, happy new year too be looking forward to see the pics of the latest locos, I got the replacement 5pole tender drive motor for the Flying Scott, both motors are matching poles, and on the locos madden run last Saturday at the train club she passed in flying colours . Then I put on the 11 coaches did well on level track till she came up to the spiral and I had to stop , tender drive wheels started to spin a bit then she started to move on, will need some more weight in the tender.

Second run the train was camera shy and started to derail, I will have a look at the video lips and load them on my post, I think the issue is those your model railway village coaches where the couplers are on the bogies ,they are grabbing on a bit raised plastic if front of the bogie, thinking of filling it back will check the other Mark1 coaches I have.

I have redesigned he layout, big changes is where I moved the Tehachapi loop down more and closer to the back of the house and now the station modules are at the edge of the pergola, have to redesign the entrance track to the station platforms and one less module.

The latest pics are on my post, thinking of asking for some help to fast track the construction of the layout decking mainly.

How are you going with the winter over in the UK, America is copping it bad with heavy snow fall.

Tony

following on from Micks post, I have to agree that last year was a very slow one for my G.R. Im already taking steps to ensure this year is different. I was out there on Boxing day replacing all the main junction boxes, as well as drilling through the wall in my office and now have a direct connection to the rails from the office, negating the need to run cables through the window each and everytime I want to have a play. That in itself was a huge factor in me not doing as many runs last year due to the amount of faff required. It also meant losing a lot of heat from the house as a result. Now its just a case of powering up and taking stock out. Will update blog later.

Mick, you are our leader as well as inspiration, so looking forward to your viaduct giving us all the much needed kick up the backside we need.

doublecee said:

...Mick, you are our leader as well as inspiration....

I'm not so sure about being a 'leader' or an inspiration. I often feel like I'm just tagging along behind everyone else, at least that's how it's felt this past year or so, but I'll see if I can change that this year and get that viaduct completed if nothing else. If it's what I've got to do to get everyone else moving forward with their own layouts then so be it.

aussietmrail said:

....How are you going with the winter over in the UK, America is copping it bad with heavy snow fall...

The weather's not too bad here Tony but everything's just a bit too wet and damp to do anything outdoors. I think I'll be waiting a few weeks before venturing back out there, especially as I need to be mixing concrete and mortar for the viaduct which doesn't fare well with the cold weather. That is of course providing the strong winds don't blow the viaduct over first!

Hi Mick, completely different over here hot and humid, before long your shirt is wet with sweat, I have been picking the days where the temp is under 30 degrees.

Have redesigned the layout, Tehachapi loop spiral has been moved down 6 feet and closer towards the back of the house, now I have to redesign the station modules as well, coming along, hopefully Australia day is a mild day where I can get out and redo spiral grade, on the 26th, pics on my post.

Have a state election on now polling day is on the 31st of Jan, I help out on that day, only in the morning, as it is a long tiring day, ok in winter but this election is in Jan the hottest month in summer, afternoons are hotter, want a rest this time. Coming back in the afternoon to watch the ballad papers being counted, make sure they don't miss one, I like the way the preferences are worked out, these days the returning officer uses a machine.

Looking forward to see some pics of your progress once you are able to get back outside.

Mick how do you delete in where you sing on as I have a few aussietmrails and even put by mistake the password behind aussietmrail shows up every time I log on.

Tony.

• 4 weeks later...

What, with Roy demolishing his Faulconwood layout and Iain's Hampton Field Railway already gone it seems the rest of us are a dwindling minority. I was concerned with a forum upgrade but it seems I might not have to worry about it at this rate! However, while I'm full of ideas for a portable indoor layout myself I have no plans to forget Worsley Dale and I'm ever hopeful that I can make further progress with it this year. It's not going to happen just yet but I'm looking forward to Spring and hoping for some dry weather in order to help me along. It's only a few weeks away now.