Worsley Dale Garden Railway

mick

fungus said:

That's some impressive viaduct Mick, and I especially like the girder section in the middle. Your viaducts look tidy and professionally built (though I know you built them). Yours will still be standing long after mine have fallen down!

It's still very early days but I'm very pleased with how the viaducts have stood up to the weather so far. Nothing appears to have moved or cracked so I'm hoping they'll prove resilient enough to at least see me complete the loop of the garden.

aussietmrail said:

....How did you go fixing up the roof felt....

Roofing felt has been firstly stuck down with a bitumen type roofing felt adhesive and then on the plain boards it's folded over the edges of the plywood base and tacked down. On top of the viaducts it's just the bitumen adhesive holding the felt in place.

aussietmrail said:

...Mick do you have to upload to you tube to load on video clips to the forum, the new iPhone6 has iTunes format, my son is looking at changing the format...

I don't know anything about the iTunes/iPhone formats but yes, in order to include video's on the forum they have to be uploaded to YouTube first no matter which format you are using. Video's can then be embedded in your posts to make it appear they are part of the forum.

I don't know anything about the iTunes/iPhone formats but yes, in order to include video's on the forum they have to be uploaded to YouTube first no matter which format you are using. Video's can then be embedded in your posts to make it appear they are part of the forum.

Hi Mick, by the look of it the new iPhone 6 doesn't use iTunes, I did a test video on some birds in the back yard having a fee feed on bread and honey, they are Lorikeets, very colour bird , down fall is they can get very nosy having a feed. Big improvement on the iPhone 4s and has zoom on the video, HD quality, no need to change the format, going to set a an account in you tube tomorrow and upload the birds, next time I go to my train club will be doing a video on the duel tender Flying Scot running on the club layout, thanks Mick.

Glad you sorted out the problem with the ripped roofing felt between the track, pity we can't get that roofing felt over here, being busy working on my TL tunnel module just about finished one side of the tunnel, glad to get that out the way and move onto the rest of the layout. I will aim at just getting the track decking cut out and finished, track down and bus wires in so I can run trains, that will shock everyone, aim for Christmas.

aussietmrail said:

......Glad you sorted out the problem with the ripped roofing felt between the track....

Apologies Tony, my brain wasn't entirely in gear earlier but after reading your reply it's just dawned on me what you were referring to with the roofing felt. The section that had ripped adjacent to the tunnel area hasn't been repaired yet. The felt itself appears to be intact but the PVA glue has taken off the covering of grit particles so I'll just coat it with some bitumen adhesive and drop on some more grit that I have saved in a plastic container.

My wallets taken another hefty battering recently so expect some new arrivals at Worsley Dale in the near future. I'll wait until later and let subsequent photos tell the story. However, my recent spending means that it's now time to sort through my collection and let some of the unwanted items go. For the past week I've been sorting out and writing everything down again and I've discovered that I have......well, let's just say "far too many" locomotives. Storing them all safely and securely is one problem coupled with the fact that there are a number that I know will never have a permanent place on Worsley Dale as it stands now. There's also a few that are not actually DCC ready and would need hard-wiring in order to be of any use to me and I really don't even want to go there.

Anyway, during making lists and jotting things down I decided this line-up on top of the viaduct would serve as a reminder of how little things can make a person content. Anyone fancy a spot of shunting?

shunting01.thumb.jpg.f9010118e42f1781fd98115bbde8475d.jpg

shunting02.thumb.jpg.38c66e18e1b5eaf6a547ced1e4366f4c.jpg

My layouts tend to be for running trains and I never see fit to add facilities for any meaningful shunting so only two of the above collection were originally obtained by myself.

One final point; do you recall the discussion about how the application of natural yoghurt, amongst other recommendations :shock: , might encourage the growth of moss etc on exterior stonework? I actually tried this out some weeks ago now on my first viaduct and yet only today have I noticed the quite pronounced green tinge. Hope I don't end up with a furry viaduct!

I was sure that I had some photographs showing the area at the bottom of the garden where the newer of my two viaducts currently ends but it would appear I've mislaid them. I wanted to post a photo to illustrate an idea I had earlier when I was wondering how to continue the layout onwards from that point at the end of the viaduct and eventually round to the rear of the shed.

It was my original intention to continue the layout from the viaduct on some elevated boards in order to maintain the same level throughout but I had another think today and it seems that I might even be able to extend the current viaduct that bit further, probably for another 5 or 6 feet. It will mean removing a low border wall, laying some concrete footings and then building back up a small retaining wall upon which the viaduct pillars can be built but it should give me a longer scenic section along the viaduct and be easier to disguise the entrance onto the elevated boards. The work would be relatively easy enough and the necessary materials are inexpensive so I think that's how I'm going to proceed.

If I don't come across any suitable photos in the meantime then I'll take some tomorrow to give everyone a better idea of what I'm thinking. Who knows, I might eventually end up with a 24 arch viaduct or perhaps even another long bridge span!

Hi Mick , great you had some off cuts and was ale to fix the tare in the roofing felt, I think Ian has a couple of those EWS shunters too, I would love a lot more loco's to what I own, have about 40 locos in my fleet and five of them have duel motors, two of the DD locos are the old stile and would need DCC ready circuit boards on them and the other on has two trucks like the lima stile .

Never heard of that idea of using natural yoghurt to encourage moss growth, I am thinking of using moss for that lichen stuff you can buy for low growth shrubs and weeds, as I have heaps of it growing on a pathway in in between the gardens in the back yard, on my Tehachapi loop tunnel module, save some money that way, would it work, just a matter of touching up with green spray.

How many locos do you have in your collection.

Yeah be good to find out what your plan is to extend the track past that viaduct and those pics you will be digging out.

Okay, with Gonzalo now away across the North Sea I thought I'd take advantage of the more settled weather and make a start clearing away the area at the bottom of the garden. This is where the new viaduct will continue onwards and where the track will eventually work it's way round into the rear of the shed - but before it can do that there's some landscaping to be done.

As mentioned in a previous post, it was my intention to continue from where the viaduct currently ends by building up on elevated boards in order to maintain the same layout level throughout. However, I've decided that I would now like to extend the new viaduct by several feet before it changes onto the elevated boards. In order to do this the viaduct will need to be at a greater height than I've built previously, approximately 50% or so higher. That means I'll have to build it from multiple blocks but doesn't mean the visible part of the viaduct will be higher, just that it will have to be built on footings and a low foundation wall. Here's a photo of the area at the end of the viaduct: -

medium

The stones directly in line with the viaduct will be removed from the front of the border and some concrete footings laid down. Concrete blocks will then be laid to bring the area to the same level as the base of the current viaduct before construction of the new arches can commence.

medium

The stones from the front of the border can then be replaced in front of the extended viaduct in order to create a larger border which will allow the soil level to be replaced up to the bottom of the arches.

I've been taking a look at photos and videos of the viaduct on the West Highland Line at Glenfinnan and wondering if I could curve mine round to the bottom of the garden in that fashion. I don't see any reason why it couldn't be done but realise that I would end up with a viaduct comprising more than 30 arches! Perhaps that would be taking things too far.

Thirty arches doesn't sound too ambitious, Mick, as long as noone walks into one of them and sets off a domino effect thereby damaging the whole lot. If that's a risk, perhaps best to go for the earth embankment section in between to reduce the risk, or else get some lengths of angle-iron (cheapest in the garden section of B&Q) and hammer them in at strategic points to add lengthwise stability.

Ribblehead Viaduct has 24 arches I think, although that's in a straight line rather than curved like Glenfinnan. And I'm sure Ian has more than 24 arches on the Danes Wood Railway.

Andrew said:

Thirty arches doesn't sound too ambitious, Mick, as long as noone walks into one of them and sets off a domino effect thereby damaging the whole lot....

I'm confident the current arches wouldn't fall like a set of domino's - what does worry me is if something should get caught up in the strong winds and be blown along into the viaduct itself. Once the blocks are cemented into place they are surprisingly strong but I do worry about damage when it gets windy, particularly to the more delicate sidewalls along the top edges.

Hi Mick and Andrew, I had a look on Google Earth on both viaducts, Andrew you were close the Ribblehead Viaduct has 23 arches and is on a slight curve and has earth works on both ends of the viaduct going by Google Earth and the Glenfinnan viaduct has 21 arches and on a tighter curve, not as much earth work build up at each end.

Mick it will depend on how much room you past the completed viaduct, probable go for the Glenfinnan viaduct be a big under taking though, all the fun in module railway construction.

How do you turn a pic into a link so they can sent that way because the KB's are quite large, by the time you resize the pics you lose the pic quality, I like both bridges.

Mick I saw a doco on the UK last week about the Jet stream winds, they say that is what causes the bad weather in the UK, was very interesting, should send the rain my way as we are going through a dry spell, they are saying if we don't get any rain by the end of October will be the driest October in record, fingers crossed we et those predicted storms in the next few days.

Tony.

Just my two cents Mick. I am thinking a raised bed for the end section. Does that make sense?

I had thought about a raised section with the viaduct on either side but if you're thinking the way I am then the boundary fence kind of rules out any option for a raised bed. The ground level needs to be below the wooden panels and a raised bed would need a fair bit of work to keep it clear of the fence. Is that where you were thinking - alongside the wooden boundary fence?

I think I'm going to need a raised section either side of the viaduct in that lower section of border in order to conceal the foundation wall that the viaduct will need to sit on.

Here's a photo of the same area but looking in the direction that any extension to the viaduct will be taking.

[image]3253[/image]

I just need to continue down for a few more feet and then incorporate a gentle curve to the right in order to bring the track parallel to the wooden fence panels running along the bottom of the garden. Unsurprisingly, it's good to be able to be in a position where the bottom of the garden is finally coming into play.

Not easy to say what to do from there. You have run yourself into a corner. (Excuse me) I think you need to ccontinue the ziaduct to the Buddlia (?) before changing the supports. That corner looks to be slower than 90 degrees, so can your sweeping curve then run tight on the fence on wooden legs? You can't run viaduct all the way, and can't really build an embankemnt in front of the flower beds, so you have to get to the back. Is there any chance of curving behind the Buddlia before the transition from viaduct to stilts?

Hi Mick, I will have to agree with Griff and Roddy, going by your fence palling you have about 3 metres to play with to the back fence, the Glenfinnan viaduct may be best suited for that corner with a rock embankment between both viaducts, will look real good.

Is it starting to cool down, heating up my end of the world, next Tuesday we having 39and 38 the next day, hopefully storms so long as they are not wild ones bring plenty of rain, not even summer yet.

Best of luck with what even you decided to do in that corner.

Mick, I came across a drawing of the Glenfinnan viaduct, not much else on the net on measurements of the viaduct, be a great project to fill in that corner.

http://elijahwadeartefacts.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/glenfinnan-viaduct-sm1.jpg

At least you will be able to get the aches right going by the drawing and work out the curve of the viaduct also, Google Earth has a good view looking down on the curved viaduct.

Thanks for your input Roddy and Tony.

Roddy you're right. There's never a great deal of forward planning goes into any of my work and I tend to work around problems as I come up to them. I've never really been sure of just how things will move forward from where I'm currently at but knew that I'd come up with some kind of solution when the time came.

Thanks for the link Tony - the viaduct at Gleann Fhionghain is a magnificent structure. I've no intention of trying to model it exactly but I do like the way it curves round giving an ever changing view of a train as it crosses over. In model form it gives you a valid excuse to run trains slowly as it does in the real world.

The lay of my garden doesn't allow me to build a viaduct spanning a valley with hills or mountains on either side. Whatever I eventually do is going to be a compromise but I've got room for an extension to the current viaduct and by necessity it needs to start curving to the right from where it's at now in order to bring it parallel with the bottom of the garden. I'm thinking of taking a route to the right of the large bamboo probably skirting the elft edge of the rubber liner you can see on the ground in the photo. As I've said, this will require a foundation wall for the viaduct piers to sit on but the boulders you can see, (and there's plenty more of them) can then be used to form a border in front of, and perhaps behind the foundation wall to conceal the lower wall. I think it should work but okay but don't be surprised to subsequently read that I've changed my mind again or had another idea.

medium

Spent yesterday sorting out my collection of coaches putting to one side those that I feel I can let go. To make it less painful I started saving just those that carried different running numbers because that gave me a valid excuse to make the cut but there are a few rakes where that wasn't possible if I was to keep a full rake in hand. I'll put up a list later for anyone interested.

With the recent mention of Glenfinnan viaduct I thought I'd add a bit of West Highland flavour to the Worsley Dale thread to see if it can spur me on to getting more done. Here's my sound-fitted Bachmann class 37 37417 'HIGHLAND REGION' with a rake of green and cream West Highland line coaches.

37417highlandregion01.thumb.jpg.ec36a7f55260fb7df8a7acbea0797deb.jpg

I really do need to sit myself down and make an effort to add the detailing parts to my locos and perhaps a light weathering. 37417 would certainly look the part with its snowploughs in place but they're still sitting in the unopened packet inside the Bachmann box. I also need to finish off rounding out the arches on the viaduct.

Below: The view from the base of the viaduct with 37417 slowly making its way across.

37417highlandregion02.thumb.jpg.8859abd3a3d8b8d8a5c88a50426b87ad.jpg

Here's a photograph taken from the bottom boundary fence looking back up towards the viaduct along the route that any extension will need to take. I've not come up with any alternative plan of action yet so unless a new idea hits me within the next couple of weeks then I will be digging out footings in readiness for adding some more arches.

newviaduct48.thumb.jpg.e9403c8b4f2bab97f6b17de1a9922c95.jpg

And once I finally reach the bottom of the garden it should be more or less plain sailing as I just need elevated boards running parallel with the boundary fence before veering to the right round the rear of the blue shed and finally entering the rear of my wooden shed. That will then complete the loop of the garden.

newviaduct49.thumb.jpg.6ee4b838546d6936eda0190d3b8fbb0d.jpg

Hi Mick , those last lot of pics look good, yeah the hardest part is always the last of the major building to blend in with the rest of the viaduct, as you say it will be straight forward on the back of the fence I like the pic with those green coaches, I was give a green coach like yours with one missing side can you get them in spare Hornby parts. Is the loco a 55 class suit that colour scheme, I had a blue Deltic Bachman 55 class loco, should of hung onto it, a friend coned me into selling it to him, did ok and bought a couple of US spine car sets,

We have a heat wave hitting us at the moment, tipped to hit 40 degrees today, all work outside is at a stand still can't even do any woodturning, have started a new project wind turbine generator transported by rail and it is mid spring, heaven help us when summer hits.

Your layout is going to be huge in size once you complete the last stage , be looking forward to see trains running right around.