Worsley Dale Garden Railway

mick

doublecee said:

....One thing I cant remember... are you DC or DCC?

It's DCC Craig, using a Gaugemaster Prodigy Advance controller with the wireless conversion set. I have one wired handset and one wireless. The wireless handset is spot on providing I remember to keep it charged!

Ironhorse said:

Absolutely beautiful, I swear if this isn’t a motivator for the rest of us to work on our stuff I don’t know what will. :D

Then I hope it gives others the necessary push to get on with their own layouts because that's what the forum is all about. I get in a rut myself at times and then I see what other members are up to and it gives me the urge to crack on with my own. I don't think it would be quite as enjoyable without the forum and being able to share what each of us are up to.

After having a bite to eat I decided to pop back outside and have another little running session, this time with the 16t minerals. The sidings in the shed aren't long enough to hold the full rake of wagons and so 5 of them are kept apart from the rest. Before I ran them I had to couple those 5 up with the remainder and with them having scale instanter couplings it took me a little while to complete that. Now whereas earlier in the day I experienced faultless running, this evening there were problems from the outset and I can only put that down to the change in temperature and perhaps some moisture/condensation on the rail tops. It wasn't so bad that I couldn't continue but it was certainly enough to require the odd nudge now and then. Here's the class 26 again, propelling the rake of mineral wagons through the tunnel and back towards the shed.

views004.thumb.jpg.d81ea9497db4d99a84f2e16b67138e6d.jpg

One of these days I'm going to photograph each individual wagon in the 16t mineral rake but not until I've changed some of the wagon numbers. I didn't think it would bother me too much but seeing the majority of them all with the same wagon number does look a bit odd. Here's 591270 standing on the approach to the new viaduct and showing its instanter type couplings (there are at least another 8 wagons with that same number!) This photo also shows just how thick those bus wires are - they don't look that bad from a distance.

views005.thumb.jpg.8ddd49fe4f51ce59f2debee3c4ea1af5.jpg

And this is the full rake of 16 tonners being hauled up to the buffer stops positioned just in advance of the 2 girder bridges.

views006.thumb.jpg.6084972b5a9f78880462027f008db83a.jpg

Another productive day and lots of photos!!

I started off by laying the remaining track on top of the viaduct and then fixed the girder bridges in place. The bridges are rested on top of a small blob of grip adhesive so hopefully I should be able to prise them free should it ever become necessary. They are nice and secure which is the main thing. Out came the class 26 and BR MK1 coaches for testing purposes. They ran perfectly even on the old track recovered from my old Selby layout and as yet without any bonding wires or droppers to the bus. You can see one of the bus wires in the third photo which has still to be fastened in position inside the viaduct.

views010.thumb.jpg.e1b1c01c7613ff6460c21ef36e9bb1a8.jpg

views011.thumb.jpg.38f360399b49cc8661b41711000b1f2f.jpg

views012.thumb.jpg.9159b4f20ed3648392c07d8c54e88259.jpg

With the viaduct almost completed I could turn my attention to the borders around the curve which leads to the viaduct. More of those old wooden log rolls were cut in half and hammered in around both sides of the track base. With the borders turned over it's starting to look pretty tidy at last.

borders019.thumb.jpg.af68db7b9d70e27f537abeab19c70fcb.jpg

borders020.thumb.jpg.b4c1bda33bd1beb442fad96a79683b41.jpg

Here's the class 26 and its train passing over the new Y point as it makes its way off the single track and onto the double track section. I have yet to clean the inside track which would be the normal route taken by trains coming from this direction so for now it's running facing road.

views009.thumb.jpg.adb4ececddf3d093860d88b2d9494d88.jpg

And finally, here's the same train crossing the older viaduct as it heads towards the indoor (shed) section

views008.thumb.jpg.6b39038b935e52f03d96bd46417e1066.jpg

views007.thumb.jpg.f17e653ba7421246c603a02a5449646b.jpg

traingeekboy said:

....The weathering on the mineral wagons is really good in the close up shot. Is that your work? You may have to talk to us about how you did it if it is.

There's already a thread in the Workbench section which covers my attempts at weathering the mineral wagons.

doublecee said:

*cough cough* OPEN DAY *cough cough*

I doubt that Mick will agree to that Craig! It'd be nice though. :)

It's all looking great Mick, from the viaduct and bridges to the excellent weathering on your sixteen tonners. I think that since you've fitted them with instanter couplings that you should now fit them all with sprung buffers!

IanR said:

I doubt that Mick will agree to that Craig! It'd be nice though. :)

*cough cough* OPEN DAY *cough cough*

I wouldn't rule that out but there's work to be done before an 'open day' could be deemed a worthwhile outing. I wouldn't expect anyone to travel any distance simply to see a train running back and forth from one viaduct to the other and I would want to ensure that what track was available for running purposes could be relied upon. The two outside points will also need motorising and wiring for the live frogs. I'm sure the ability to bring along a loco of your own for a trip round Worsley Dale would be something a visitor would welcome so I wouldn't want you carrying it for nothing! If anyone wants to view the current situation then I'm sure we could arrange something but there'd be no guarantee of anything running or for that matter, that I could actually access the shed to get to any stock or controls. We still have an ongoing house clearance and the shed has by necessity become something of a dumping ground.

There's been a good deal of progress so far this year and I feel that the major construction work is almost at an end. I'm only a little over half way round the garden but the rest, plain boards on elevated posts, should be much easier. The two block-built viaducts are prominent structures but when I compare Worsley Dale to the previous Selby Garden Railway, this latest layout blends into the garden so much better - so much so that apart from the viaducts you'd barely notice it was there. You can also access the remainder of the garden via the path in the tunnel area without even realising you'd crossed over the railway whereas back in Selby, just to cut the grass meant carrying the lawnmower over the top of the wooden viaduct!

In a previous post Griff remarked that I had learned from previous mistakes and I guess in a way that's true. Without consciously going out of my way to do so, I have apparently improved things this time round and the main priority was always to blend the railway in with the garden rather than have it dominating the garden and making access difficult.

Here's hoping this mornings spell of wet weather doesn't overstay it's welcome!

Mick, I think you're right. The whole railway blends in. The log barrier although not prototypical, gives a feeling of an embankment with retaining walls;it seems to fit right. I also like all the big rocks next to the railway. You also have a less angular design. The old railway followed 90 degree angles, this new one flows with the shape of the beds in long easy curves. It really is much more visually appealing due to all these changes.

At the same time I think your new garden is much more interesting. So perhaps the new garden also dictated these new changes.

I must say I was somewhat distraught when you had to tear out the old, but now that I see the new, it's just so much better.

I'm still wondering whats behind those holly hocks at the end of the line. How high do you need to go? Perhaps a different approach for that least leg is in order. I am thinking you won't be building huge raised platforms of stone and brick.

I see some of the layouts like yours on here and I get the urge to redesign; that ain't happenin' any time soon. I will have to look at everyone else's layouts and drool a bit, but I'm sticking to guns and getting my current one running again. Still, I do envy the low style layouts where trains run through the shrubs.

Mick, WOW the latest viaduct sure has turned out well with the two double steel arches setting it off, Griff beat me to the comment on the rocks blending in with the railway, how big in size is you layout and the plans past the viaduct, got a few plants to clear first.

In your last pic in post 663 is that stone ornament a bird bath, my other hobby is woodturning, haven't done any this year because been busy working on the layout, got ten pens to turn for family and some friends when it starts to warm up, got to keep that skill alive.

I could possibility turn that ornament on my lathe except the base as I can only turn 16 inches.

When are we going to see a video of your trains running from the new section, be awesome, will have to buy a video camera not a dear one, only got the video in the mobile and digital camera to use.

keeping an eye out for the post contractor, the Flying Scotsman parcel should arrive Tuesday a the earliest and the other parcel in the same week., love to see parcels arriving, got some more to come yet, that grass matting and Bachman DD40AX 6900 running number shell for a project display with a Big Boy 87 scale kit.

Gee not good with that rain hanging around don't want the same to happen like last summer where a lot of England was flooded, did you get affected at all.

Keep the good work up, Tony. :D:P

Tony: Not sure how big the layout is. I've probably measured the garden area in the past but if so I've since mislaid the details. It's not too big but when you have to clean all the track before operating (especially when it's close to the ground) it does seem a lot bigger! The stone ornament will be the sun dial. As for videos, I've been saving myself on that one until I have a complete loop running. Unless you have some assistance then it's not easy operating a video camera and layout controller at the same time when there's only a short length of track over which to capture the action.

Hi Mick, Yeah agree it is very hard to control a train and take either pics or video at the same time, I did try that years back but had a remote control throttle still wasn't easy and did try to operate two trains running opposite to each other on one off the duel controlled layouts with block wiring, that was very hard, couldn't do it.

Came across a post about mainline survey's on your old layout being 130 feet, is the new one bigger, WeekenderSteve's layout is huge.

Forgot to add on a link on cleaning track where you don't have to bend down , I m going to look into buying one or two to get the extended handles

http://www.micromark.com/ho-gauge-track-cleaner,8301.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tony.

aussietmrail said:

...Came across a post about mainline survey's on your old layout being 130 feet, is the new one bigger...

I think in terms of overall running length then I think they're going to end up more or less the same. I'm at roughly 70 feet at the moment and just over half way round the garden. I'll have to measure up properly later.

aussietmrail said:

....Forgot to add on a link on cleaning track where you don't have to bend down , I m going to look into buying one or two to get the extended handles http://www.micromark.com/ho-gauge-track-cleaner,8301.html... onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

That's the sort of thing I'm looking for. Something with a long handle and a swivel head that will accept a track rubber, or part of. I've also discovered that I need a narrow track rubber on a handle in order to clean the track over the girder bridges - that's an awkward task at the moment because my hand won't fit inside between the girder sides.

Well today I took delivery of another locomotive and it's a bit of a beast.

47992_01.thumb.jpg.f7e83265fd800d0f062030b0ce612c2a.jpg

Been waiting for this one for some time and like IanR mentioned a few weeks ago, looks like I too might have to start weathering a few more mineral wagons. I might also have to set to weathering the loco - it can't be seen hauling my mineral wagons round in this condition! I'm not sure how I'm going to explain this one on my 'preserved' type layout but that's where 'modellers licence' really comes into its own. I really don't care what I run - they're all my favourites!

Although there's been no further progress on the layout over the last few days due to the weather, I did finally make an effort yesterday to make a list of my entire collection of wagons. It's something I've been meaning to do for some time having catalogued the locos and coaches already. What quickly became apparent is that, like many of you too I guess, I've got far, far too many - if there can ever be such a predicament. I do like the old private owner wagons but there's got to be over 100 wooden bodied types and I hadn't realised just how many 14t tank wagons I've accumulated over the years. I also discovered that some of the private owner 'sets' I had bought in the past contain the wrong wagons - must have overlooked those at the time of purchase. As for the Beyer Garratt, well fortunately I've uncovered a good number of additional mineral wagons that only need weathering and couplings fitting.

I'd like to get on and work my way a bit further round the garden but I do need to have a go at motorising the two outdoor points and adding a feed to the live frogs. I'm going to use the central locking motors that IanR and Chris have successfully installed on their layouts but first I need to make a small area upon which they can be mounted and concealed. I'll make that a task to look at today.

Nice loco Mick. I've always admired them as well. It should be really something when pulling a long string of your mineral wagons. I don't see any reason for the loco to not fit in. Or an entire coal train for that matter. I always go with the explanation that it is appearing on my layout because I like it. I make no excuses. :lol::lol::lol:

speaking of explaining...

Example .1

[image]2684[/image]

Wots with the little dog emblem on the loco is that an actual prototype?

Over here we have the Chesapeake and Ohio that had chessie the sleeping kitten in their logo.

180px-chessie-logo.jpg180px-chessie-logo.jpghttp://www.digitaldurf.com/Logos/180px-chessie-logo.jpg' alt='URL>'>

traingeekboy said:

...Wots with the little dog emblem on the loco is that an actual prototype?...

It is Griff. It depicts a West Highland Terrier (like the little dog we've got) and was used on the sides of locomotives based at Eastfield Depot in Glasgow. If you remember the photo I uploaded a few weeks ago.....

medium

.... this is a cast depot plaque depicting a 'West Highland Terrier' that was affixed to the cab sides of locos from that same depot, along with our own little 'Westie' for comparison. He's getting on a bit now but he's still cute.

So I decided to make a start on the outside point motors. Unlike Chris and IanR my track is at ground level and so I'm unable to conceal the point motors below the baseboards. Instead I've planted a broken concrete block in place alongside the point upon which I will be mounting the motor. But first I had to solder some wires to the actual point.

points01.thumb.jpg.e6b9fbe2d8059c7fe28ab6f060d9714b.jpg

The two black wires are the track power feeds while the orange wire will carry the switched feed to the live frog. I also chopped off a bit of the unnecessary plastic moulding around the point blades that is used for mounting Peco point motors directly to the point. Since I wired my last point it seems that they've changed the design unless I'm missing something. I would normally bond the outer (stock) rails to the point blades/closure rails, cut the links connecting to the frog and then wire the frog for switched feed. On the new Y point there are no links to be cut and the frog feed appears to feed to the closure rails. At least that's how it looks to me so I hope I've got it right.

The block was cemented in place and the soil replaced.

points02.thumb.jpg.e41405dff2841cb2916759671db112a5.jpg

Now this is where I'm at right now but I haven't yet decided whether to leave it like this. I thought it best to come inside, look at the photos and make a decision. You can see that I've run the point operating wire through a pre drilled hole in the wooden log roll in an attempt to conceal things as much as possible. I can't see any reason why it shouldn't be left like this because I can easily remove the wire should I ever need to replace it, but should I knock the log rolls level with the track base and run the operating wire over the top directly to the point? This would also enable me to position the point motor closer to the points.

The photo below shows how everything will be positioned with the motor in place. I've introduced a loop into the operating wire to take up excess movement and even though nothing is yet secured it does seem to operate manually without any problems. To conceal the motor I was hoping to place a building over the top of it but the motor is pretty big and none of the buildings I have are large enough to accept the motor. So I wondered about using an old wire plant basket, turned upside down and coated with a cement mix to create an artificial type rock that can be lifted off when needed. It would have been less hassle had I cemented the block a bit further to the right, central to the tie bar, but like an idiot......... :oops:

points03.thumb.jpg.9d1da4f4112487c1fff380098f31f764.jpg

Nice work mick. First one is always the testbed eh? You could put a S curve in your tension arm to slide it over a bit, just a thought. I'm sure you'll engineer it to your own likings soon enough.

As to the dog, I did vaguely remember seeing the dog logo somewhere. Guess it was on your discussion even. ha ha

Not used to seeing your little guy in an actual posed photo, as I recall he just gets in on most photo sessions all on his own.

Seems a lot of us are fiddling with our trains today. It's really fun to go out and do something on the layout and then come back to new pictures on the forum. I'll have to report in on my railway discussion as I don't want to clog yours up with my rants and photos.

As an alternative to the Micromark product you could have a look at the Woodland Scenics TT4550 Tidy Track Rail Tracker Cleaning Kit which is very similar but has slots in the replaceable pads 16.5mm apart so that the pad doesn't wander off the track. You can twist the pad around to clean N gauge track should you ever need to. It's available from the same place as your new loco! Details at http://www.ehattons.com

I see we have the same taste in Beyer-Garratts although I have gone for Heljan 266209 number 47975 which appears to be identical apart from the running number, and the years they say they ran (1948-56 yours, 1950-55 mine)

Unfortunately when mine arrived on Saturday morning it was obvious from the invoice that they had not fitted the decoder which I had asked for, and which was clearly marked on the special delivery instructions. I am sure that I could fit a decoder but it is one way, although a bit expensive, of getting them to test run it. There have been some reports of a few with problems. They have emailed me a label for me to return it without cost and the layout is some way off, so no big deal.

Does yours run OK or is it just posed for the pictures?

Hi Mick,

Great work with the auto door locking motor on the point, the cheapest I can get them for over here is $9, and that is fee postage, would cost close to that if I got them from England.

Also going to use SPDT slide switch to switch the signals, that should take the pressure off the Peco point when switching, I make my own two way red and green signals, save money that way, I use two sets of signals on one point lets me know where if its on the straight or curve, use them for block signals

If you look to the left side of the pic you can see the two signals the green LED is on the straight red LED on the curve, I didn't have walk around throttles on that layout, did actually get up to having stations platforms and another set of track for the terminus station platform between the two double track main lines , double signals, switch and change again.

Still finding it hard to get the pic from my gallery, right clicking the URL image, I have been coping the pic and pasting it that between the img, seams to be working ok, is that why you get the forum writing on the bottom of the pics.

Tony

Riddles said:

As an alternative to the Micromark product you could have a look at the Woodland Scenics TT4550 Tidy Track Rail Tracker Cleaning Kit which is very similar but has slots in the replaceable pads 16.5mm apart so that the pad doesn't wander off the track....

Yes, I watched the sales video for the Tidy Track range a few weeks ago. I might have to give it a try because it's impossible to clean through the girder bridges by hand. Not sure how long the pads will last but it might be that I could just use it in areas that aren't easily accessible rather than using it over the entire layout. Might also try extending the handle and see if I can do the ground level bit without bending down so much.

Riddles said:

I see we have the same taste in Beyer-Garratts.........Does yours run OK or is it just posed for the pictures?

Haven't tried mine yet - it was just posed for that quick photo. In fact I never even thought to get a decoder and the only spare ones I have at the moment are 21 pin.

chris said:

Cheers for that Chris. After I'd posted the question I went back over your thread and noticed you'd mentioned the DS52 previously so I assumed that's what you had used. I ordered a couple earlier this morning so I'll be giving them a try when they arrive.

Funny old day today. Seem to have been outside from early 'till late and seem to have done very little. I cleaned the inner track of the double track section and gave it a try but had several derailments with the troublesome BR MK1's on the Y point - mainly the same coach each time. Fiddled around with those pesky couplings and tweaked the track on the approach to the point to give a gentler run through and it seems to have done the trick. If you've got a bit of dodgy trackwork then the MK1's will certainly let you know.

Again, as a few days ago, running during the day was almost faultless apart from the trouble over the points but this evening as soon as the weather began to cool there was frequent stalling. In the end I filled up the CMX track cleaner and ran it up and down a couple of times and it was absolutely fine after that. I began this post with reference to a track cleaner and I end it wondering just what I would do without the CMX - it's absolutely spot on for giving your track that final clean and it's also convenient to run occasionally during a session to maintain cleanliness.

EDIT:

Forgot to add this photo of my Hornby Brighton Belle motor vehicles. Gave them a try for the first time today but the three coaches that go with them are packed away somewhere and I didn't fancy going through a load of boxes again. They're a bummer to uncouple again.....

views013.thumb.jpg.c5a11df40920caf1dcdfdb910990943b.jpg

While I wait for delivery of my point decoders I made a start on positioning the cast stone bridge I purchased when we were still living in Selby. The bridge is actually a double track span and so I'm hoping it doesn't look too out of place over my single track section. A little bit of forward planning might have resulted in a more suitable location but me and forward planning just don't go well together. I don't fancy the idea of moving anything now but I think the easiest option would have been to slew the single track over to one side slightly to make it appear that the bridge did once span a double track section. I could then perhaps model an adjacent disused section of line beneath the bridge. I think it's too late for that but I'll sleep on it and let you know. This is where the bridge is going: -

bridge101.thumb.jpg.9e340a3c7ce06490e04c45ac5c11cd0f.jpg

I've coated the bridge with water sealant to protect it from freezing during the winter but it does of course still require final painting. I've added aerated block bases at either side of the track and will then build up the embankment to produce a narrow track over. Here's a closer view along the tracks to the bridge: -

bridge100.thumb.jpg.56a13b2a69f6611cd1fea2fe5acb1177.jpg

I've also had a play today with my new Bachmann class 101 DMU. I have several DMU's already but mostly green liveried ones and so I opted for an all blue version of the 101. I hadn't taken much notice of the pre sales chatter and was surprised to discover that it takes a 21 pin DCC chip as opposed to the usual 8 pin that's needed in all my others. I don't have any 8 pin chips but I do have some 21 pin versions so it was off with the body (never an easy task) and in with a chip. It runs nice and smoothly. Here, exiting the tunnel, we see the class 101 about to pass 26024 on loaded 16t mineral wagons (who'd have thought it!)

views014.thumb.jpg.3766eb2449e38c41951e55834006b638.jpg

And here's the DMU rounding the curve as it makes its way towards the older of my two viaducts. I think I need to give the viaducts some proper names.

views015.thumb.jpg.8af129a589afefd4029534f2be6c938e.jpg