Worsley Dale Garden Railway

mick

Riddles said:

Why not consider an LGB large scale bridge? They are intended for outdoor use so should not be affected by sunlight. I am planning on using the 50600 Truss Bridge which is designed for single track but I am going to raise the trackbed to the same height as the side walkways and lay double track OO gauge. LGB 50610 looks even more impressive...

The LGB 50610 is the style I've been looking at but at 47 inches long would it look okay or be too overscale? I'd love to see one alongside an item of OO gauge stock for comparison.

The Roco 40081 (example below) is a similar type bridge in OO gauge

roco40081.jpg

That's a lovely looking girder bridge Mick. Now THREE of those together painted red oxide could almost pass for the Forth Bridge! I have no experience (yet) of how durable this kind of plastic is outdoors but is it usually the plastic itself that deteriorates or just the bleaching effect of UV on the colour. Mind you if it was the latter, re-painting would be a tedious job I imagine although there are special plastic spray paints I've seen (in cheap shops like Poundstretcher etc) called 'Plasti-Kote' (I have a dark green one would suit the bridge) which might preserve it but you would need to know before spending that kind of money I'm sure.

For what it's worth though Mick, The LGB one is intended for outdoor use (I assume) whereas the 00 is not, might be worth having a word with some of the 'Big Boy's' with garden railways for their experience of them.

The girder bridges on the K&WR are standard Dapol kits sprayed with car bumper paint. Three years outdoors, and they do get full sun from midday, and they seem fine.

I don't think I would recommend them in a position where they might get knocked though. As you can see in the pics of the K&WR mine are fairly safe.

Ian.

Looking at that Rocco bridge, I wonder if it would be possible to build the main skeleton out of aluminium angle and glue on the plastic sub structure using Evergreen styrene sections. That way you would have the durability of the aluminium frame but the detail of the intricate girder work in plastic.

An interesting thught to use aluminium angle - my current line of thinking is to bridge a gap with a piece of galvanised cable tray as a bridge base - then it just needs something to go along the top to make it an interesting girder bridge. I may be getting ahead of myself as everything is only in the planning stage but bridging the path is fundamental to the whole project. Different rates of thermal expansion may be an issue but there is only one way to find that out.

george356 said:

Looking at that Rocco bridge, I wonder if it would be possible to build the main skeleton out of aluminium angle and glue on the plastic sub structure using Evergreen styrene sections...

I'd considered building from scratch George but I've never been very good with metalwork. I was hopeless at school, hopeless at day release College, and I'm no better now.

I think the main priority if I were to use that type of plastic structure would be to ensure a solid foundation for the track base. I'm sure the plastic sides would take care of themselves and as IanR says, providing they're not subjected to any knocks then I'd think they should be okay. It may be possible to reinforce the structure with some fine metal profiles if need be rather than me attempting to build from scratch.

The area where I intend building the bridge/viaduct is exposed to the sun from just before midday until sunset. Maybe I could provide some form of protection with additional plants.

Vagabondic said:

...Different rates of thermal expansion may be an issue but there is only one way to find that out.

Just when I thought I'd got everything covered!

Thermal expansion could certainly be an issue - we don't require much movement in 4mm scale to throw the whole lot out. However, personally speaking it's not something that I get too concerned about. That may be me being extremely naive but I tend to adopt the attitude of building first and trying to find a solution later. It's much more fun that way!

I'm leaning towards the Roco offering. I need some aerated blocks.....

It's as muddy as hell again outdoors but I've taken the plunge and ordered a couple of Roco 40081 arched girder bridges so that if it ever dries up for more than a few days there'll be nothing holding me back. I'll get hold of the aerated blocks soon as there's nothing stopping me from making the necessary cuts to create the arches although I'll have a good think about it first to see if there's anything I can do differently so that I'm not simply creating a mirror image of the previous viaduct. I may look at using something along the lines of the galvanised cable tray as mentioned by Vagabondic to create a stable base for the track over the bridges. I've got no previous experience of using it so I'll have to see what I can do. Perhaps simply turning the tray upside down will provide sufficient support and additional detailing beneath the bridge.

I think I'd mentioned previously that the second viaduct would be double track - now of course I've had second thoughts and I think it best if just the top section of the layout between the 2 viaducts is double whilst the rest of the layout will be single. The double track section will give me somewhere to hold one train whilst another crosses one or other viaduct. Maybe once the bridges arrive I'll change my mind again but that's my thinking for now.

Ordered Friday and duly delivered post free during a blizzard at 8am Monday morning. My two Roco bridges have arrived but it's hardly the weather for doing anything with them just yet. If I can manage it I'll take a photo of one of them later outdoors alongside the existing viaduct. The bridges come ready to clip together and they do build into a pretty solid structure. The base comprises two half-length mouldings that are held firmly together by the two full-length sides and there might be no need to reinforce the base as I first imagined before I'd actually seen one. The plastic mouldings certainly feel robust enough for use outdoors and could perhaps even withstand light knocks. I'm impressed and looking forward to being able to get them in situ.

traingeekboy said:

Do you have a link to the product?

Sure Griff. Purchased from Gaugemaster - http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=RC40081" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've just been outside with one of the bridges to photograph it alongside my existing viaduct so that I've got some idea of how it compares in size to the aerated blocks. Here's a couple of photos taken using the camera on my phone: -

2c3f7503e94fdbc135e210d1bf53a6d0.jpg.2f27c05e093ff6392ea6e60f149b11e9.jpg

eafa1cddb1efc5acffa8ab03e1400812.jpg.33b01742aaa6a404e4f84eca87123353.jpg

It looks very nice indeed next to the stone of the viaduct and I think the two that I have bought should look great once they are installed. I'm still not entirely sure how I'll be adding them in but there'll definitely be some more block arches and there'll also be a central pier required where the 2 bridges come together. Might be going a bit too far but it would be nice to be able to create a small water feature beneath the bridges.... I'll look into that possibility.

And so as a follow up to my recent post in the Bargains & Discounted Products thread, another two class 37 loco's have now arrived on the Worsley Dale loco depot. It's overkill I know but I'm so gullible when it comes to a bargain. I just wish I could bring myself to venture out into the freezing cold and take a few photo's of some of the other stock I've acquired over the winter. It feels like the whole forum has been in hibernation over the past few months but there are signs that things are beginning to stir. We're a hardy bunch aren't we!

Would you believe that it's taken me the best part of 2 hours just to photograph and upload a few images of 6 locos! I've added the images to my photo gallery but also included details of each loco within the Members Loco & Rolling Stock threads so I won't repeat everything here but I'll just add one or two of my favourite images from today.

Firstly there's the limited edition S&DJR class 7F loco in blue. It's a lovely colour that compliments the colour of the viaduct and the pile of rocks in the background that are awaiting relocation somewhere.

7b6c55b530c1ce5337acaf50a32e652b.thumb.jpg.bc6ca05c55058b428063c82ae034cb14.jpg

Secondly there's 47475 in Trans-pennine blue livery which again stands out really well on top of the viaduct.

b2211ba71b386be66bb41c3a514671f5.thumb.jpg.b0126e8b08df827ab565e66fdef4192e.jpg

I like the following portrait format view along the viaduct showing 37506 in Railfreight red stripe livery. I couldn't resist this loco at £50 but also obtained 37514 in Railfreight Metals livery for only £46 at the same time.

cc6d3b42a34043590c7e7567fcf9b79d.thumb.jpg.29c9398318dd622f5e5a846e84faa8a3.jpg

Finally 47475 again (love that blue colour!) included just to show how well the ballast has stood up to the weather on top of the viaduct. In fact the whole viaduct appears untouched by the relentless rain of last summer and the freezing conditions this winter.

33d5dd7c8e6cb50d2217d5dc88b58c1a.thumb.jpg.d1b3c3774c5eb6df49c85610b60883c8.jpg

It's the first time I've taken any photos for a while and it's given me a chance to check on the condition of the layout at close quarters. Remarkably it seems that it's come through the winter very well indeed. As mentioned in a previous post somewhere, there are areas of ballast that need replacing but these are where the ballast hasn't been in direct contact with the roofing felt. Some of the photos I've just uploaded show areas of bitumen devoid of any ballast so clearly it requires something else to adhere to in those areas. I haven't noticed any problems with the wiring but it hasn't been powered up to check.

I'll finish with a compliment to how technology has advanced in the way that a mobile phone can capture a photograph with such amazing clarity. I would normally always choose a camera over a phone when taking a photograph but all today's images were captured using the built-in camera on a mobile phone. I've only just woken up to that so you'll have to excuse me.

I actually overlooked this little loco the other day when I was outside taking photographs. This one is the Bachmann C Class 0-6-0 locomotive depicted in the South Eastern & Chatham Railway lined green livery as preserved on the Bluebell Railway. I've added additional images to my gallery and the Members Loco thread so here's just a single one showing the loco posed on Worsley Dale viaduct

4af39ef3edd72e868c27f5ce92185be3.thumb.jpg.a50f88eeb9e72a0705305099508c7430.jpg

I actually had this loco on pre-order from it's initial release announcement but just before it emerged in the shops I decided against getting it and cancelled my order. On seeing photos of the released model I had another change of heart by which time my usual online source had completely sold out and it took me some time to find an alternative source, which I am delighted to say I managed to do - albeit at a small premium over what I could have initially paid. It would have been a shame to miss this one.

Ive just spent the last two weeks at Bluebell Laser scanning loco's and carriages for an upcoming film. I swear blind that this little gem was hauled past me by a Class 08 in readiness for Downton Abbey (who shoot there once we wrap).

It did look pretty sweet

Its been great fun being there, because I am free to roam where-ever. Some of the junk in the yards is amazing. If you use instagram, follow me for pics

doublecee70 is my handle

mick said:

I actually overlooked this little loco the other day when I was outside taking photographs. This one is the Bachmann C Class 0-6-0 locomotive depicted in the South Eastern & Chatham Railway lined green livery as preserved on the Bluebell Railway. I've added additional images to my gallery and the Members Loco thread so here's just a single one showing the loco posed on Worsley Dale viaduct

I actually had this loco on pre-order from it's initial release announcement but just before it emerged in the shops I decided against getting it and cancelled my order. On seeing photos of the released model I had another change of heart by which time my usual online source had completely sold out and it took me some time to find an alternative source, which I am delighted to say I managed to do - albeit at a small premium over what I could have initially paid. It would have been a shame to miss this one.

That's a lovely little loco Mick and it looks fabulous on the viaduct. The viaduct itself is a work of art as well. Would it benefit from a good coat of a stone coloured masonary paint? It would hide the blueness of the building blocks.

roddy said:

...The viaduct itself is a work of art as well. Would it benefit from a good coat of a stone coloured masonary paint? It would hide the blueness of the building blocks.

I really like the colour of the blocks Roddy - perhaps they look slightly more blue on your monitor or maybe even on my photographs. They are in fact a nice grey colour with just maybe a hint of blue perhaps. I'd certainly not want to overpaint them, they're going to be much better left in their natural state and open to natural weathering. I'm looking forward to doing the next viaduct and hopefully it'll turn out even better than the first one now that I know what's what and how things might eventually look. The addition of my 2 girder bridge structures should give some additional interest.

doublecee said:

really looking forward to your first video of the year, Mick.

It'll be my first video for almost TWO years if I do indeed manage to get one done this year! Just need a good long spell of settled weather to give me chance to get things moving. It turned out fine this afternoon before more rain set in later and this evening I almost went arse over tit just going down the garden to lock the shed. It needs to dry out before I can consider doing anything - it's so slippery at the moment.

mick said:

I really like the colour of the blocks Roddy - perhaps they look slightly more blue on your monitor or maybe even on my photographs. They are in fact a nice grey colour with just maybe a hint of blue perhaps. I'd certainly not want to overpaint them, they're going to be much better left in their natural state and open to natural weathering. I'm looking forward to doing the next viaduct and hopefully it'll turn out even better than the first one now that I know what's what and how things might eventually look. The addition of my 2 girder bridge structures should give some additional interest.

The main thing is that you are happy Mick. Yes, the pictures do look bluish, but blocks that I used in building were also blue which prompted my comment. They will weather OK especially where your drain holes are. Stains down a viaduct are quite natural though. I think that is the first picture with the top walls rounded off, and it really does finish the job. My compliments to you.