Worsley Dale Garden Railway

mick

I almost forgot about this one.

I've mentioned before about the damage that pigeons do to the parapet walls of the viaduct, in particular along a spot towards the bottom end of the garden where there's a tall shrub that they've decided to nest in. Well last Sunday while I was filming the 'Black 5 Excursion' video I'd sent the train out on its journey exiting the rear of the shed, running along the bottom of the garden, past the afortementioned shrub and then onto Stack Gill viaduct. I was waiting up by the house for the train to make its way round to me but grew increasingly concerned about it's later than anticipated appearance so I went down to investigate. I really should have taken my camera with me but unfortunately I didn't. I was greeted with a stationary train and the sight of a pigeon perched on top of the second rearmost coach. By the time I had been and got my phone/camera the bird had of course gone and this was the result.

20220807_122229.thumb.jpg.cc71f71cd14c5fc446274621810494c9.jpg

A small piece of parapet walling just to the right of the '2015' pillar had been dislodged and had derailed the loco bringing the train to a stand. The pigeon had then decided to land on the coach to the rear of the train toppling it over. That's another section of walling in need of repair.

• Like 1

A photo of the pigeon on top of the train would have been a good illustration of one of the additional challenges of running OO in the garden. You can't have your phone/camera with you every second of the day although some people get very close to it. Your words have let us imagine the scene in our minds very well.

3 hours ago, Riddles said:

A photo of the pigeon on top of the train would have been a good illustration of one of the additional challenges of running OO in the garden....

I would have loved to have been able to get that shot! But never mind, I just hope I don't get another opportunity.

I've been trying to make the most of the glorious weather but at times it's been unbearably hot. I really wanted a BR Blue day today so got out a mixed lot of MK1 coaches along with a selection of Mk2's.

In the morning I had 26024 hauling a rake of 6 Mk2's, capturing a few clips on video but forgetting to take any photos so I had to return to that later in the afternoon.

Here (below) 26024 has just exited the shed onto Low Shott viaduct.

1452399647_2022-08-1419-05-19(BR8S5)copy.thumb.jpg.bded5168bb8a6f1d8ae0df5cb6f035ae.jpg

(below) I've been trying for some different angles for photos and this next one is a bit awkward to access but seems to work well, though I maybe should have moved the bird bath and stand in the background.

1333313836_2022-08-1419-24-00(CS1)copy.thumb.jpg.2eccb95b4e020348aea602df896fb1ea.jpg

Later I had large logo BR Blue 37401 'Mary Queen of Scots' hauling a mixed rake of 9 BR Mk1 coaches in BR Blue/Grey livery. 

(below) A rare shot from inside the shed as 37401 departs Shieling Bridge. 37403 'Isle of Mull' is a ViTrains model and although it looks the part it's not a very good runner, in fact it takes ages to move off from a standing start.

146665279_2022-08-1416-44-53(BR8S5)copy.thumb.jpg.1c0abd3f6f51d21e42ae1773122ecf42.jpg

The MK1's are in need of some weathering although I had actually thought of selling them in order to thin my collection down a bit. There's no rush to do anything just yet.

1766320734_2022-08-1416-46-03(BR8S5)copy.thumb.jpg.300e7602180b4cbdb0d4d0d4c9b33320.jpg

It did take me some time to get the MK1's running reliably. I fitted them with Hornby R8220 bar couplings and had to do a fair bit of swapping coaches round before I was able to keep them all coupled together.

• Like 7

I have two or three preferred areas around the layout where I tend to take the majority of my photos, one of them being the area just ahead of Stack Gill viaduct, an area I call 'Stackgarth Gill'. Recently it's started to look a bit untidy with some of the timber bordering the lineside having rotted away and earlier today I noticed there were several cut pieces of timber beneath a shelf in the greenhouse which would make suitable replacements so I decided it was time to put them to better use.

Timber never lasts very long outdoors, especially when it's in contact with the ground as here, but if I can get another 10 years out of this lot then I'll be happy.

It's all a bit rough and ready but that's the way I like it and to help prevent soil being washed over the top of the timbers I've added a narrow barrier of small pebbles until the plants take over once again.

[below] The view towards Stack Gill viaduct

20220816_171009.thumb.jpg.6814631a08fe53eb13934c985aa0b85d.jpg

[below] The view past the cottage towards Trundles Bridge.

20220816_171029.thumb.jpg.3c3c02835cf3fb5b55ae8d6bfb928844.jpg

I've set the timber low enough so as not to get in the way of photos and the next thing I want to do, once I've made sure the track is nice and level, is to add some ballast.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

It's that time of the year again (or thereabouts) where I finally get round to reporting on how the railway has fared over the winter months and come up with plans for the coming year that I'll doubtless not adhere to.

At first glance there doesn't appear to be any major damage or deterioration to the track but I'll know more once I get the chance to power up and run something round. There's the usual overgrown vegetation to cut back around the circuit, such as here on Stack Gill viaduct where this Peony has sprung into life.

20230408_143122.thumb.jpg.9a9390408c02f4b515ef8ff365fd063a.jpg

However, as in previous years it's not the plants that are giving me problems but the bloody pigeons who have again chosen to nest in the tall shrub at the bottom of the garden, accessing it by leaping up from the top of Stack Gill viaduct. In the process they have dislodged a fair section of parapet wall that I only repaired last year after they had done exactly the same.

20230408_143109.thumb.jpg.fcf9920d6608cc9c838633a4167c01c7.jpg

I couldn't say for certain how many different adhesives I have used on the parapet walls over the years but even though most of them set rock hard initially, it isn't long before the adhesive becomes pliable and the structure weakens until it's eventually dislodged. As soon as I can get round to it I'll be using the same sand and cement mixture I resorted to last year to replace all the parapet wall that is still held in place by adhesive.

Plans for the coming year? Well I don't really have anything in mind other than the aforementioned repairs to the viaduct. I'd like to get certain areas ballasted, especially the ones where I tend to take most of my photos but that's something that may or may not happen this year, we'll just have to see.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

I've still not had a running session this year and nor have I made a start on repairing the damage to the viaduct parapet walls caused by the pigeons. In fact the viaduct walls have sustained further damage since my last post and it's even affected the sections I had cemented in place which makes me think that there's something else causing the damage too - cats perhaps? 

Yesterday I removed a large 'miniature' conifer from the edge of the track that I had allowed to get out of hand until it was just too large and overhanging the track itself. It also blocked part of the layout from view so in a way it was another reason to remove it. I can now see a good portion of the curve towards the tunnel.

20230528_152209.thumb.jpg.0922ea701339568d4c19e704e5832cf4.jpg

I need to plant something else here now behind the stonework that I can keep trimmed and in check and that doesn't entirely block the view as it could be a good spot for video and photographs if I ever get it up and running again!

• Like 2

That certainly looks like a fine stretch of curved line now, with good photographic possibilities, Mick. 
As someone else who hasn't had a running session this year, I suggest you try and clear a couple of days in your diary to remind yourself of the joys of fine weather operating.  Then you'll wonder why it took so long!

Thanks Andrew but I've got quite a bit of work to do to get certain parts of the layout back in order. There's nothing major and nothing that would prevent me running trains but I must do something with the viaduct walls before they appear on film again. I wish I knew what was damaging them - might have to install a camera to find the culprit(s)!

On 13/08/2022 at 09:30, mick said:

... The pigeon had then decided to land on the coach to the rear of the train toppling it over. That's another section of walling in need of repair.

The pigeon is still alive?

🏹🏹🏹🏹🏹🏹

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Clay Mills Junction said:

I think Mick, being a bit of an ornithology fan probably wouldn't want to hurt a pigeon, even though they are classed as pests.

I, on the other hand, wouldn't have any compunction about creating pigeon booby traps.

I'm on your side in that case...   🐦 -->🪦

• Haha 1