Worsley Dale Garden Railway

mick

Hi Mick, yes I used to have a blue 55 Deltic, spelling error can't edit my question , call should be class, typing too fast 😊 and big fingers.

What do reckon about my latest pics on my DC madness, that module is now finished being at it for over a week, tomorrow I stet up the panel on the second  step on the step ladder to work out the length  of the cables.

Cooling down, still in the mid 20's warming  up at night .

Tony from down under

I've made a start fitting the polystyrene insulation to the shed walls and as expected it would have been far easier to do it when the shed was first constructed and before any model railway baseboards had been installed. I am however, working round each obstacle as best I can and so far I've done probably 50% of the walls. The side where Shieling Bridge station is located will be more difficult as I will have to work across the wider baseboards. It's a pity the distances between the uprights isn't uniform - so far they've measured anything from 490mm to 720mm so I have to be extra careful to ensure I use as much of the insulation as possible and leave little to waste. It already 'looks' a more comfortable environment - do I need to cover it up?

20180927_181910.thumb.jpg.dac30e6b4c5b7f50b4ebda793e2187af.jpg

The insulation is 50mm thick and fits nicely between the timber uprights. I've added it to each end wall on the terminus station side so I'll have to figure out how that leaves me with regards to fitting the tunnel portal - I think it rules out using the single track one now and the headshunt is also going to be shortened.

As an update, I am STILL waiting for my replacement Cobalt S lever from DCC Concepts despite being told initially it had been sent out last Friday. Now I am informed it wasn't posted until the following Tuesday but either way, it hasn't arrived yet. I'm also informed that the latest reason for the delay is because they have two staff members on holiday so that's slightly different from it being everyone returning to the hobby after the summer holidays but strangely it still feels like I'm being fobbed off.

6 hours ago, ThomasI said:

Hehehe, today I used exactly the same material to insulate the underframe of my bridge against frost.
In Germany this is called 'Styropor'.

Looks the same Thomas. I'm not sure what you call all those little balls of styrene that are left behind after cutting the sheet but I bet I've got a lot more blowing about my garden than you have! Geeez, I'm going to be picking it up for months!

Right, so continuing with adding the insulation I'm now on the home run having completed almost all of the walls and with just the two edge strips of the roof remaining. The following photo was taken earlier today but the two central areas of the roof have now been completed as well as the infill piece under the end of the left hand baseboard.

20180928_155401.thumb.jpg.291adaaaa8d4d54a91378b9ebdf7598e.jpg

I'm going to have to alter some of the wiring and move a couple of the electrical appliances to other parts of the shed to make things neater. Was it worth doing? Well I think so and using polystyrene is certainly cheap enough, in fact because I've been able to use most of the offcuts I may even have 3 full sheets spare so perhaps I can start on the attic too.

24 minutes ago, mick said:

Looks the same Thomas. I'm not sure what you call all those little balls of styrene that are left behind after cutting the sheet but I bet I've got a lot more blowing about my garden than you have! Geeez, I'm going to be picking it up for months!

Right, so continuing with adding the insulation I'm now on the home run having completed almost all of the walls and with just the two edge strips of the roof remaining. The following photo was taken earlier today but the two central areas of the roof have now been completed as well as the infill piece under the end of the left hand baseboard.

20180928_155401.thumb.jpg.291adaaaa8d4d54a91378b9ebdf7598e.jpg

I'm going to have to alter some of the wiring and move a couple of the electrical appliances to other parts of the shed to make things neater. Was it worth doing? Well I think so and using polystyrene is certainly cheap enough, in fact because I've been able to use most of the offcuts I may even have 3 full sheets spare so perhaps I can start on the attic too.

The stuff where you have these little globules after cutting everywhere you will never get rid of 😂 is called here Styropor (styrofoam).

Styro is short for polystyrene. Por comes from pores, so aerated concrete here is also called "Porenbeton", Beton means concrete...

The slightly denser and harder material that is also used in model making is what we call Styrodur.

Dur comes from durable. Yes, this German term is based on the English word.😁

And everything that is even more stable and dense is called Hartschaum (hard foam) here, in the model construction scene, it's also called Forex. This is actually a brand name, but these were also Styropor and Styrodur originally.

Polystyrol (polystyrene) is the name of all these materials.

I've finally got all the insulation added but I'm sure many of the polystyrene 'globules' will stay with me for some time to come. Trying to clean up afterwards is a right pain - you hoover up, turn your back and the pesky blighters are all over the place again! Where do they keep coming from? And they stick to anything and everything.

So here we go, views towards both ends of the shed.

20180929_184044.thumb.jpg.880409fd9eff5841718875fbb69d225f.jpg

20180929_184056.thumb.jpg.b6815adf18b3a8c7867ea6572051d839.jpg

Tomorrow I will be concentrating on all the loose wiring and routing it as best I can to keep it neat and tidy. I've had to undo most of it in order to get the insulation fitted behind but tidying it up is something that's been on the cards for a while so now's the time to do it. I'm not sure how long it's going to take to get back to where I was so that trains can run again.

The backscene for the Cattle Leys terminus boards needs reducing in length due to the 50mm thick insulation at each end but fortunately I can just manage to get it in the shed for safekeeping overnight.

The down side to today's activity is that I managed to hoover up the Train-Tech signal I recently made, knocking off the head section but hopefully I'll be able to glue it back together again.

It's all change again down in Worsley Dale. 

As nice as it looked, I've decided to conceal the polystyrene insulation behind some thin timber cladding which will hopefully prevent it getting damaged and loosening more of those tiny globules. I had a few lengths of cladding stored in the attic which were surplus from a previous job but I needed to purchase more for the shed and even now I'm not sure I will have enough to line the shed completely.

I've made a start on the two sides and relocated the electric power points higher up the walls out of the way. The right hand side which contains the boards for Cattle Leys terminus station has been timber clad and the backscene placed back in position. There will be some shelves installed above.

20181006_174411.thumb.jpg.64c54d256c561bc6377e39522ab25cfd.jpg

The left side, home to Shieling Bridge station, is almost complete, requiring the electric sockets removing so I can finish off behind before replacing them. Hopefully I will finish this tomorrow and then move on to the far end wall. I've not decided on a colour scheme yet. The window also needs some secondary glazing. 

20181006_174418.thumb.jpg.b531ec974ec9b21a437db11de7c3a82a.jpg

It's going to provide a much better environment during colder days but it does feel like I'm taking one step forward and two steps back and I'm so conscious of the fact that it's so easy to damage things with all the mess. Fortunately apart from the previously mentioned 2-aspect signal nothing else has succumbed to date.

The added insulation and cladding means I'm going to have to rethink my plans for the access holes into and out of the shed. I still intend using the tunnel portals but the headshunt at Cattle Leys terminus may have to revert to a simple trap point as I don't think there'll be enough space to stand a loco clear of the siding entrance road.

I just wish it was all finished so that I could put things back together.

Hello Mick, wow, pure awesome you are putting timber  on as well, I would love to to close in our pergola and car port make a very good train room, be an expensive task and council provably, wouldn't be worth the effort, don't know how long we be here, my health is going down hill.

We are off for a weeks holiday  today to the north coast Caloundra where we stayed at Christmas, great ship spotting spot, yep good camera is out on the kitchen table, all the modules are packed away in the garden shed..

Could you send a diagram on how you did the wiring on the electrofrog points, I want to change the standard Hornby motor for the ones like you are using, be easier to store the module .

When we get back next week be full swing into finishing off the last stage of the layout, ship wont be finished for a while yet, it be a stunning site indeed, in contact with the ship's captain, he has being very help full indeed, the ship is London based, mainly goes between Finish ports.

Tony from down under.

Anyone who's already seen enough of the interior of my shed should press the fast forward button now. Apologies but I don't have anything other than this to report.

It seems never ending but looking back at recent photos it's clear that progress has been made and hopefully it won't be too long before I can get some stock back on track. Today I've fitted the few missing pieces from yesterday and done most of the far end wall of the shed.

20181007_164458.thumb.jpg.341d9838d32fc0da87cc1781d3d54ac2.jpg

There's still bits to do beneath the baseboard level which are very fiddly with restricted access and few places where the cladding can be secured. There's also the matter of the electrical cables which, now that the cladding is in place, can be neatly secured within plastic trunking.

There's still the door end of the shed to tackle but I'll probably make a start on the roof first and get that out of the way.

20 hours ago, aussietmrail said:

....Could you send a diagram on how you did the wiring on the electrofrog points, I want to change the standard Hornby motor for the ones like you are using, be easier to store the module...

I'll do it just as soon as I can find my spare electrofrog point Tony. I was going to take a photo and then show where I make the connections but it's somewhere among all the mess removed from the shed (or perhaps somewhere still in the shed) and I've had a look but haven't come across it yet.

I've run out of timber cladding so there'll be a short break whilst I get some more. I still have 5 full lengths remaining but that's not enough to completely clad behind the remaining striplight and I'm not taking the light down unless I can put it straight back up again.

I've made a start on the roof and this is where I've had to leave it for now:

20181008_160100.thumb.jpg.f722f6b2794b619fda79455c72c7dd2c.jpg

I'll be needing some timber strips to cover the edges once it's all done but it's not going to take much to have it looking okay. It feels cleaner as well as warmer so I'm looking forward to getting things up and running again.

I'll do it just as soon as I can find my spare electrofrog point Tony. I was going to take a photo and then show where I make the connections but it's somewhere among all the mess removed from the shed (or perhaps somewhere still in the shed) and I've had a look but haven't come across it yet.

Hi Mick have to agree with Thomas, you are going great guns , don't you have steel garden sheds over there, should of lined the roof of the pergola when it ws built, gets very hot in summer cold in winter.

No worries when you get a chance to after finishing off lining your shed,, as you say nice and warm to get some progress done.on projects.

I am still on holidays u the north coast, had a storm today, made it hard take pics of a couple of  container ships passing by, close to the port of Brisbane and  cruise ship terminal.

Won't get much done next week full up with appointments, never ends, nearly finished off the wiring, out of wire need buy more next week.

Tony form the north coast down under.

The roof of the shed is now complete except for finishing battens around the edges/joins. There's just the door end wall to do now as well as the door itself. The door needs some timber battens around the edges before I add polystyrene insulation and then the cladding.

20181011_174919.thumb.jpg.7e6126644f3428cc51da80f23ed2161d.jpg

Another consequence of adding insulation after the layout has been installed and track laid is that one of my sidings to the rear of Shieling Bridge station is now no longer accessible as the timber cladding fits tight up against the sleepers. I knew this was going to be a problem but it shouldn't be too much trouble to rectify.

20181011_174847.thumb.jpg.3e7d2971441431f8a006ec1ac989b699.jpg

I might be able to simply realign the track but failing that I'll move the point itself further towards the bottom of the above photo. I don't really want to lose the siding because I could really do with some more.

Door wall tomorrow maybe.

It seems to be taking forever but I've got a bit further with adding cladding over the insulation and the door wall is now almost complete.

20181018_173659.thumb.jpg.b4f5ec12baeb5086b7becd4c4fbb8d4f.jpg

I've used some of the short off-cuts of timber cladding on the door which is why the top section are vertical as opposed to the rest. There's insulation behind the door cladding too.

Timber strip beading has been fixed in place along the roof centre line and down the corner edges of the non-door end which improves the appearance. A short section to the left of the door end has been done too. Now do I paint it, stain it or what? I want to make a decision soon because I have some twin slot wall mounted shelving to install above the terminus section and it would be best to paint or whatever first. It will be great to finally have shelves for storage and not have to store everything on the floor!

I doubt it Mick. You will always find dust. I have always varnished Tongue and Groove timbers. I worked in Wales and have used up miles and miles of the stuff there. Ceilings such as your shed, and walls, in rooms up to 100ft long and 30ft wide. Always varnished. But as with everything else, it's your shed, your choice. Natural wood does give a nice warm glow. If you want bright, then paint.