Worsley Dale Garden Railway

mick

I've had my first real experience with a standard range ViTrains loco today. I have two ViTrains class 37s in my collection and one of them I intend using as one of my Scottish based loco's outdoors.  V2032 is a BR Large Logo blue 37/4 No.37403 'Isle of Mull', another model classed as a 'Limited Edition' and produced in association with Geoffrey Allison and Rails of Sheffield. 

I'm no expert with class 37's (or any other loco as it happens) but in my opinion it has the look of a 37 and compares well visually with my much more numerous Bachmann examples. The only thing I don't particularly like is the shade of yellow on the ends which makes it look very toylike and clearly plastic, and also the bright red bufferbeams. I'm not about to attempt repainting the ends but what I can certainly do is weather it which I hope will tone down the yellow and make the red bufferbeams less prominent.

However, there's another task that needs completing first and that's to add all those little bits like roof horns, lamp brackets, pipework, footsteps, couplings and snowploughs contained on the numerous plastic sprues that accompany the model. To say fitting some of the parts is a fiddly process is an understatement - no wonder all those Chinese workers are asking for a pay rise! The thing is that some are so small that they are easily lost or damaged and while there are spares of some there are no spares for the ones I managed to destroy! So, Isle of Mull is currently minus a lamp bracket on one end but thankfully I still have some hair left.

I've begun the weathering process and hopefully will have some photos of the completed loco later tomorrow if all goes well.

Morning Mick, I love the video clips, now you can get sound decoders  for diesels with smock, sadly DCC is out of the question for me now, had a chance last year with my son's funding, he passed away, the plan was to set up by Wi-Fi so he can control the layout from his computer.

Last Friday's post, you were up early that morning  6;17am,  pics of your terminus station, awesome, there is a pair of tracks to the right of the pic what do you plan to do with them, are those half points meant to derail a train coming in too fast beside the loco.

Pic 6 I just added a lot more fun with DC, by adding a slide switch to cut the power to the track after the point beside the 3 way so I can uncouple the lead loco loco being the Blue loco drive it off onto another block and the orange and gray loco bring in half of the Indian Pacific, very excited it worked, can't wait till when I can do that , a way  off yet.

More pics on how I did on my Camdale post and changes to the track and point on the corner module so I fit the whole train on and not hold up the main line..

How the summer going has it started to cool down getting close to Autumn.

Tony from very cold down under, was -3 this morning.

006.jpg

12 hours ago, aussietmrail said:

... there is a pair of tracks to the right of the pic what do you plan to do with them, are those half points meant to derail a train coming in too fast beside the loco...

The two tracks with wooden sleepers towards the edge of the terminus boards are going to be storage roads, primarily for the OTA log wagons but could be used for other traffic too. I'm waiting for some Peco electrofrog points and point motors being delivered in order to complete the installation.

The 'half points' aren't really necessary on a model layout I don't suppose, but they're trap points that prevent a conflicting movement. They would be worked in association with a signal, the signal not being able to be cleared if the trap points were not correctly set, hence a train passing the signal at danger would end up on the ballast. In my instance they are primarily for show but they are fitted with motors and work together with an associated point so that if the point leading on/off that road is set then the trap point is set too.

5 hours ago, mick said:

The two tracks with wooden sleepers towards the edge of the terminus boards are going to be storage roads, primarily for the OTA log wagons but could be used for other traffic too. I'm waiting for some Peco electrofrog points and point motors being delivered in order to complete the installation.

The 'half points' aren't really necessary on a model layout I don't suppose, but they're trap points that prevent a conflicting movement. They would be worked in association with a signal, the signal not being able to be cleared if the trap points were not correctly set, hence a train passing the signal at danger would end up on the ballast. In my instance they are primarily for show but they are fitted with motors and work together with an associated point so that if the point leading on/off that road is set then the trap point is set too.

Hello Mick and Tony!

According to the German regulations, even a real turnout has to be installed in such a place, the so-called protective switch (Schutzweiche), which directs the train to a stump track in case of danger.
The stump track is in such a situation mostly but only a few feet long so there ends the train in the flora or the ballast.

The advantage of the British variant, of course, is that it takes up less space and is likely to be less expensive to purchase and maintain.
The advantage of the German variant is likely that, if a train is derived in a dangerous situation, the derailment does not take place on the continuous track and therefore no damage to the track, so far in the case of use, the consequential costs are lower.

In any case, I also have to install some such protection switches, but I'm still not sure if I actually provide them with a functional drive ...
... at least in the outdoor part of the layout there are just a few good reasons to keep this effort.😎

Regards

Thomas

Thomas

I have two locations on the outdoor track sections where there really should be trap points installed but I think it's best to keep things as simple as possible and not create any unnecessary problems for myself. I think we can be excused for not being 100% prototypical when dealing with OO gauge and the elements. 

I've been going through my plans for relaying the plywood base section and I had actually pencilled in trap points as well as some signals. I will probably go with signals if I can make them easily removable because they would add so much realism to photographs but I've decided to overlook the trap points.

I'm far from happy with my weathering on ViTrains 37403 'Isle of Mull' at the moment but this is what it looks like at the present time. Ignore the missing coupling hook, wipers, and the mould line on those air horns.

DSCN1554.thumb.jpg.6ce02a1033eb56e71517e91c667cac10.jpg

It's all too easy to add too much weathering until it begins to look a sorry mess and I've had to go back and remove some when I thought I'd over done it slightly so for now I'm just going to sit and gaze while I decide what it needs next.

There's one quite noticeable difference between this ViTrains model and the Bachmann version and that's that you have to be very careful with the white spirit because it soon starts bringing the yellow and blue away so you need a careful wipe rather than any scrubbing. I think the main area for weathering that gives a marked improvement over the factory model is the underframe and bogies. If you can get those areas right then you're well on your way to turning a toy into a model.

• Like 1

Just as I was beginning to think I'd finished, I turn my back for five minutes and.....

DSCN1564.thumb.jpg.ef9149d1aa69ce4aada5148565794fb5.jpg

...another four class 37s turn up on shed. They look very pristine at the moment.

DSCN1566.thumb.jpg.9b95c0a1f2a889dc8ba32cd2c9c6ec6e.jpg

In this overall view visible are 37025 'Inverness TMD' (standing in the platform) along with 37401 'Mary Queen of Scots', 37417 'Highland Region', 37410 'Aluminium 100', and 37057 'Viking', all on shed.

I think I need some relatively clean locos too so apart from the bogies and underframes I don't think there'll be a great deal of weathering going on here.

All of my class 37' are Bachmann, but your picture of 37403 shows the one big positive, imho, that the ViTrains loco has over the Bachmann model - around the cab windows.

The Bachmann window apertures look too small, compared to the ViTrains version.

The multiple working cable connectors needs a splash of orange, on 37403.

Have you every tried removing weathering with a gentle rub with a fibreglass pencil? - it sometimes can soften the impression.

Keep going Mick - your posts are great reading ☺️

• Like 1

In between doing a spot of weathering I've been thinking about the task of relaying the plywood base section. I should make it clear that currently there's just one spot where the plywood appears to have failed and I won't know that for certain until I start tearing into the roofing felt. What I do know is from looking at recent photographs there are some undulations in the plywood base that I'm almost certain weren't there before and if this is to be a long term pastime then I do need to do something about it now.

Currently it's double track in this area with the inner concrete sleeper line known as Watch Houses Loop. I don't use it very often although I know I should. I thought about removing it altogether and changing to single track all the way round but instead I've decided to keep this section double track and extend it slightly towards Stack Gill viaduct. Then instead of a passing loop, although it will still be used for that purpose, it will be deemed double track running between the two viaducts.

20180814_140445.thumb.jpg.e6b1b705df8f2c562692d3e0734d3a7e.jpg

Photo above is taken from the beginning of Stack Gill viaduct. The first few feet is fine as the track is already laid on aerated block base but from where you can see the roofing felt just before the curve is where the plywood starts. I intend to add a 'Y' point to start the double track somewhere just before the plywood section so that I have to change as little of the existing track as possible. The existing point is just on the far side of the bridge you can see in the distance so we're perhaps looking at an extension of 5-6 feet.

The spot above is a great place for photographs so I may try to improve the embankment.

20180814_140504.thumb.jpg.30904abe7d15b1e73a63c4a20ec908be.jpg

The above photo looking back in the opposite direction gives a clearer picture of where everything is. 'Trundles Bridge' in the foreground will be replaced and the point motor housing seen just in front of it it will obviously need to be relocated. The exact location of the new bridge will be determined by the best vantage point for photographs

I intend to do the work in short sections so that if ever it comes to a complete standstill (not unknown with me) I will be able to add a link of track to run trains as and when desired. I'm hoping that it will also aid in keeping the new bits level with the old.

I've also considered the possibility of adding some colour light signals in this section. I think I can get away with just using 2 aspect signals as they're going to be more for show than anything else and it makes controlling them easier - the red/green aspect can be changed under DCC via the point switching. I need three in total but adding an extra distant (green/yellow) would enhance the tunnel area for photos. Signals will need to be easily removable - so being able to just slot them in would be a bonus.

Oh and yes, I will be using sections of aerated block to form the new track base. These will be cemented on top of the concrete foundations. I've been very pleased with the way they've stood up to the elements so far, even the cut sections that I've used as parapet walls along the tops of the viaducts. I just need to take care cutting the strips required as they'll only be 25mm or so in thickness.

I think your design with the aerated concrete blocks always very complacent.
Unfortunately, in Germany, such aerated concrete blocks only appear to be white and have much larger pores.
All hardware stores in my area have only those, mostly Ytong.
Although they can be worked well, but since they are very absorbent, they can hardly be designed with a satisfying result in a different color...

When it comes to crafting and DIY, you simply have a broader and better offer in the UK.

Well, it's not that bad in Germany right now.
But I think there are more variants of the same product in the UK, be it in terms of color or form.
Then you realize that individuality in Britain is historically anchored a little longer than on the continent ...

👍😎

On 13/08/2018 at 17:34, mick said:

Just found out how to do quote,, was off line for a couple of days no USB ports, busy backing everything up was waste of time wife found the problem port was switched from the Microsoft update, be ware of you next up date.

We have them over here, the station I go to has them before the station, will take some pics next time I go on the train, like your 37 class locos, how many do you own, my favorite Australian is the  NR class like the in the  post a few post back of my module.

Be sad to see the Trundles bridge go, what type of bridge will you be building,  we can't get that roofing felt over here, those blocks we can.

Morning over here drops to minus .07 this morning, get this we are having 30 degrees today, cool change coming in the weekend , westerly winds are cold .

Going to be a long summer again, no rain , half of QLD and northern NSW are in drought the worsted in year, farmers are in trouble .

Tony from down under

On 17/08/2018 at 00:38, aussietmrail said:

... like your 37 class locos, how many do you own...

I've been a bit crazy with class 37s Tony and currently have 32 of them!

On 17/08/2018 at 00:38, aussietmrail said:

...Be sad to see the Trundles bridge go, what type of bridge will you be building...

I'm not going to be building this time, there's a replacement bridge en route which should be with me before I even start dismantling the old one. I thought it would be worth the effort in order to create a suitable area for taking photographs. We'll see if it was a good decision when everything's back in order.

Well after a break for a few days I've made a small amount of progress today but I've been hindered with a very painful left knee. I thought it had eased last week but a short six mile walk in the Dales on Thursday has got it playing up again.

I've managed to fix a light above Shieling Bridge station and would have had one above Cattle Leys terminus too had it not been broken when I opened it. I've never had lighting inside the shed before so this is a big step forward. The broken one is on its way back and a replacement on its way to me so hopefully we'll be fully illuminated soon.

I've also managed to lay one point in the new terminus sidings and have got another one soldered up ready to install which will leave just the one on the outside of the shed. The outside one will entail widening the baseboard slightly to accommodate an extra track and building a cover to keep the rain out. Nothing special required just so long as it's watertight. I've got point motors and autofrog modules so it shouldn't be too long before the terminus sidings are in operation.

Early Morning Mick, wow 37, of those 37 class, locos, I had a 55 class, 37's are a nicer loco, will have to get a couple down the track, like a 66 class first,   good to see British are still building double cab diesel locos, over here they have done away with them and couple up double header locos or more depending on the length of the train.

Can't wait to see what you have planed on your bridge  wait to you see my bridge I have planed to span 14 feet, double deck road rail, that will be a a good photo shooting area for the layout, that the ship I am modelling will sit when finished, it is getting there, nearly completed between the shelter cover and raised deck.

In contact with the real ship's captain and he has being a great help in pics and drawing, I need more to get her right, will be the focal point of the layout if that is the right word and plan to model s Ro, Ro port .

I am stuck on the  module wiring at the moment, will finish doing the feeder wires today, and more onto connecting the main panel to the layout this week, a question the electrical place sold me the wrong wire, it is thicker to the rest of the main bus line, is that ok, I am using thinner wire closest to the panel on mainly the terminus track into the station and approach, module.

How is the last weeks of summer cooling down, here it is very windy and cool wind, we are heading for a dry spring, the fire fighters are bracing for a bad fire season .

Tony from windy down under.

The shed is now blessed with two working LED striplights and I can't believe it's taken me this long to install something that's so necessary for working out there. I've never been able to work in the shed with the door closed before because it's just so dark when you shut out the light and the winter's nights have always been a no go. I have no excuse anymore.

The sidings extension in the terminus area is taking longer than anticipated but that's mainly through having the problem with my knee, but I have moved forward a little more and installed another point and a section of headshunt. The point outside the shed and the one leading to the headshunt will be wired as a pair that throw together.

20180819_173747.thumb.jpg.dd67683381923fdc2792672aafac8c19.jpg

All that's left to do is install the point on the exterior of the shed, widen the entrance hole to allow the additional track through, and join up the track with the point visible in the above photo.

20180819_173809.thumb.jpg.e50b13d4e84297c880985fb83aae9b16.jpg

Once the trackwork is complete I will divert my attention to the backscene and then the ballasting.

I had taken it for granted that the method of working for the OTA log wagons into the terminus sidings would be that they would run round in the platform before drawing out and reversing into the sidings. Well yesterday I moved the OTA's across from Shieling Bridge and discovered that there's only just sufficient room between the points for the 12 wagons - and I mean just! Not to worry, I've experienced situations like that for real so it's nothing to be concerned about.

• Like 1

No visible sign of progress today but I've installed the two SEEP point motors beneath the newly laid points and wired them back to the ADS-8fx decoder which controls all the points on the terminus board. I've never spoken much about the DCC Concepts ADS-8fx decoder before but I've found it to be a very worthwhile purchase. It's an 8 channel decoder and each channel has it's own CDU. It also has connections for changing frog polarity and for adding LED panel lights. All connections are by screw terminals apart from the LED lights which are solder pads. At approx £60 or less it's great value for money and has worked faultlessly since installation. I'm not sure I'm taking full advantage of all it offers but it's doing just what I need it to do at the moment.

I am so relieved to have got the point motor installation out of the way as working beneath the low baseboards, especially with a bad knee, is not something I would recommend. Now there's just the final point to install and that will be an above baseboard motor installation. I could have it completed in just a few hours with a good knee!